WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    I would second just getting the patrol bag. Just came back from red river gorge with nights in the upper forties. Just went with the modified patrol bag and a poncho liner inside on top. All light weight clothing. A bit of CBS but, all in all a comfy night out. I don't think I could get lower than the forties with this rig now. It is fairly compressible and not too heavy.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Before I got a TQ/UQ set, I had a MSS and used a refletix blanket and CCF pad under it, and was able to sleep in it just fine.
    “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”Ralph Waldo Emerson
    --Guessing Emerson didn't practice Leave No Trace

In Nature there are neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences. -- R.G. Ingersoll

Hammock
    Grand Trunks SBP
    Tarp
    PahaQue HM20R
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Custom
    For me the black and green bags used as TQs work great. I like the fact that they don't unzip all the way and make a great foot pocket. I have a good UQ though and never used them as stand-alone.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    As you've discovered, down quilts are much lighter and more compact for their temp ratings.

That being said, the MSS will work for those looking to save a buck, but only at the cost of a LOT of weight and bulk. Also, their temperature ratings are designed around wearing a soldier's full clothing system and the ratings being "not freezing to death" rather than "sleeping comfortably". It's similar to the military's definition of "man portable". Yes, an hundred pound plus mortar baseplate is "man portable"; no, it ain't fun to carry more than ten feet.

That ALSO being said, the military poncho liners are exceptionally hard to beat for warmth to weight to cost to durability for a summer and early three-season top quilt. Coming in at a pound and an half, give or take, they can regularly be found for under $35 and will get most folks down to ~45* without supplementary clothing.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    That ALSO being said, the military poncho liners are exceptionally hard to beat for warmth to weight to cost to durability for a summer and early three-season top quilt. Coming in at a pound and an half, give or take, they can regularly be found for under $35 and will get most folks down to ~45* without supplementary clothing.
    +1 to this ^^^

But also consider that a very versatile 20º TQ weighs just over 17oz. And can easily get you down into the single digits. Down is a worthy investment. I promise.

I was like that too. I was trying everything in my power to figure out a way to save money and have the same level of comfort that down provides. But compressibility and weight are ALWAYS my concern. There just isn't anything that man has yet created that can compare to natural, fluffy, ultralight downy goodness. And after you finally "pay once, cry once", you'll whip yourself trying to figure out why you didn't do it sooner.

But for now, use what you have! Get out there! Enjoy the outdoors! Meanwhile, save those pennies and skip eating out once or twice a week and you'll have your investment before you know it!

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Are you able to lie diagonally with the modified green bag? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. My thought to get a more diagonal lay would be to cut the hammock holes off center diagonally opposite each other. What do you think?

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    There is no way those bags will get you to -40*! No where even close. If you managed to get them into the negatives I'd be surprised.
    That said, I prefer bags to quilts anyway. People convert bags to quilts all of the time.
    If you truly want a sleep system to get you far into the negatives look up Wiggy's. I have several of his bags, and they are truly impressive bags, moisture doesn't bother these bags. Only downside is they're very bulky and heavy for backpacking...
    wiggys.com
    I've slept with nothing but the 3 piece MSS and a pad in -20 in Alaska. It worked just fine.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by harrigummi View Post
    Has anyone really every tried this...

These things are awesome. It could be used a TQ and a UQ all at the same time. The outer bag is gortex lined and totally waterproof. Plus the inter bags (there are 2 of them) can be used to go down to -40ish??

I'm kinda thinking that if they protect out valuable troops in the field then they are well enough for me.
    It's a good system and it'll keep you warm. It isn't hard to assemble at all and it opens up just like a TQ with a foot box. It's not down so of course it's bulky and heavy. All three pieces together will take you in the negatives. It has for me and I'm a cold sleeper. If you're getting started I recommend the MSS. It's the best bang for your buck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123