Tarp
    DUH DIY
    Insulation
    ARMY modular sleep
    Suspension
    whoopie

Modular sleep system as a TQ

Has anyone really every tried this...

These things are awesome. It could be used a TQ and a UQ all at the same time. The outer bag is gortex lined and totally waterproof. Plus the inter bags (there are 2 of them) can be used to go down to -40ish??

I'm kinda thinking that if they protect out valuable troops in the field then they are well enough for me.

Hammock
    Kammock Roo currently
    Tarp
    DUH DIY
    Insulation
    ARMY modular sleep
    Suspension
    whoopie

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    They're great for on the ground. I got the bivy a year ago before converting fully to hammocks and did a 4 night canoe trip. I used an inflatable pad and my sleeping bag inside. I wouldn't, however, try using the bivy inside a hammock. The bags are just sleeping bags and can be used in a hammock but the whole system? No thanks. I'm finding that using a sleeping bag is becoming an issue for me with all the moving around and bunching up under me nonsense. Ill be making my own top quilt to remedy that.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    As McBlaster said, they are great for ground sleeping. Well - not great, but adequate.
    In a hammock the bivy cover doesn't serve much purpose. Maybe adds a little insulation via some trapped air but not much else. The bags are just that - sleeping bags - and a bit heavy at that. The lighter patrol bag alone is good to 30 degrees if survival is good enough for you. Good to about 50 degrees if you want to be comfortable. The heavier bag is rated the same way - you can survive at the rated temp.
    As top covers they will get the job done. I am still using sleeping bags for top quilts. But as bottom side insulation they will probably leave you cold since your weight will compress the insulation to the point of uselessness.
    I have placed a sleeping bag between double layers of a hammock with good success however. If there is enough gap between the layers to make room for insulation without compressing it will work fine.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Golite20/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    strap&buckle
    The military ratings are based on using the system wearing your full military gear. I like to sleep without my gun wearing a t shirt and shorts. I find the patrol bag good to about 50F and have used the intermediate bag to 32F The bags are very roomy and I have no problem using them in a Ridgerunner with a underquilt.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harrigummi View Post
    Has anyone really every tried this...

These things are awesome. It could be used a TQ and a UQ all at the same time. The outer bag is gortex lined and totally waterproof. Plus the inter bags (there are 2 of them) can be used to go down to -40ish??

I'm kinda thinking that if they protect out valuable troops in the field then they are well enough for me.
    There is no way those bags will get you to -40*! No where even close. If you managed to get them into the negatives I'd be surprised.
    That said, I prefer bags to quilts anyway. People convert bags to quilts all of the time.
    If you truly want a sleep system to get you far into the negatives look up Wiggy's. I have several of his bags, and they are truly impressive bags, moisture doesn't bother these bags. Only downside is they're very bulky and heavy for backpacking...
    wiggys.com

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    There is no way those bags will get you to -40*! No where even close. If you managed to get them into the negatives I'd be surprised.
    That said, I prefer bags to quilts anyway. People convert bags to quilts all of the time.
    If you truly want a sleep system to get you far into the negatives look up Wiggy's. I have several of his bags, and they are truly impressive bags, moisture doesn't bother these bags. Only downside is they're very bulky and heavy for backpacking...
    wiggys.com
    I've slept with nothing but the 3 piece MSS and a pad in -20 in Alaska. It worked just fine.

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I used them in hammock when starting out. Had a good wrestling match getting in and out and getting all those zippers zipped and bags straightened out. Whew! I love the bags and the system but about froze at 30* with full system with just my undies on. I sleep cold also.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I use one of the green bags (patrol?), but I modified it so the hammock runs through the bag. This leaves the insulation useful on all sides. I'm working adapting an SOL Escape Bobby as an outer layer to reflect heat back at me and act as a wind/water barrier. Those with a Reactor bag liner, CAP2 base layer, wool socks and balaclava have kept me comfortable down to low-40 to mid-30s.

Just need to make the bivvy sack a little roomier and I'll be happier.
    The meaning of Life is to live it

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Are you able to lie diagonally with the modified green bag? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. My thought to get a more diagonal lay would be to cut the hammock holes off center diagonally opposite each other. What do you think?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast