Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double

NC or WV fly fishing streams/creeks you can fish, hike, and camp (legally) along?

Fly fishing and camping are high on my favorite things to do list. I have yet to do them together though. I am looking for some water that I can hike along and fly fish in then stop in the evenings to hammock camp. Ideally it would be a long enough stretch of fly fishing water that I could do it for four days. I also do not want to have to be to stealthy and I would want to be able to have a fire in the evening to dry my clothes and heat my toes.

Anyone know of a place like that in North Carolina or West Virginia? I have a lifetime hunting/fishing license in both of those states.

How about ice fishing places this winter? Ice has to be at least 4" thick.

Thanks in advance.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Check out the Cranberry River in WV Easy road walk along the river between locked gates( no motor vehicle traffic) Plenty of locations for hanging and some good fishing especially in the spring and fall. Several trail loops off the main river road if you want some wilderness hiking.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Hey thanks a lot for the tip.
    Point Pleasant huh? Moth Man! I used to be a recruiter and had an office in that Armory. I lived in Gallopillis Ferry.
    Is it legal to camp along the Cranberry?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'd suggest Fires Creek in Murphy, NC. You can camp right along the creek and fly fish all you want. I wasn't fly fishing, but I caught some decent sized trout last weekend there and barely walked away from my campsite. You could, if you wanted, start at the top of the mountain and walk down, stopping at various places to fish on your way down until you reach your site.

I'd recommend cranberry river, tea creek and Williams river in West Virginia. Plenty of camping opportunities along beautiful trout streams.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yes camping along the cranberry river is legal. A portion of the river is accessible by vehicle and there are designated camp sites for this area. In the areas designated as backcountry and wilderness areas (no motor vehicles) National forest rules apply for camping. Google Monongahela National Forest WV

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    I just looked that place up. Thanks man. I really appreciate it.

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In the Great Smoky Mountains Nat Park try Hazel Creek, Deep Creek and many, many more. There are sites along most of these stream, plenty of fish and the site are primative, but all have fire rings and most have picnic tables.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    There are lots of nice campsites along the Cranberry. The shortest trail in is from near Summit Lake Campground - the Fisherman's Trail. It takes you down to the river just downstream of the catch and release zone, which is a four mile stretch downstream from the liming station at the fork of the North and South Cranberry. The gated road along the river is 15 miles long, and day fishermen bicycle in from each end.

• + New Posts