Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Can these be called hammocks?

Concept is the same as in hammock: Fabric suspended between support points.

These are bridge hammocks which are suspended from the long sides of the fabric (similar to Amok Draumr and Exped ergo hammock - but done as a bridge version of those). Interestingly enough there is a hammock stand included right from the start. So no need for trees!

What is your opinion and why do you think so?

First the "Thermarest sideway bridge hammock with a stand" -video.

Weight for the biggest UL version is 50 oz (1,42 kg). Double compared to a traditional hammock for a big guy.

And then there is this bit heavier version from Helinox.

Bit heavier 70 oz (2 kg) but easier to setup and the stand system keeps sleeper a bit higher from the ground.

Maybe this is a bit philosophical question, but more I think of it more hammock I see.... And these are very light hammocks when you think that the stand is included.

Have You got any experience how nice it is to sleep in these "hammocks" compared to traditional hammock?
    Last edited by voivalin; 08-08-2014 at 05:46.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have one of the regular ones. They sleep better than the ground but not near as good as a hammock. I used a pad with mine as it is cooler than ground sleeping even in a tent. Takes to long to assemble & break down to suit me. At $200+ the money is better spent on a hammock. Also they are to narrow for us bigger guys. Bought mine before discovering the hammocks so it's stored in my ever growing pile of, tried that, moved on to something better, give to Grandboys when their older.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    A cot is a cot and not a hammock.

Among other disadvantages, you lose the ability to setup over uneven/sloping/rocky ground.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Can you imagine standing on your upside down bed in the mud in the rain? Me neither! It would seem to be something OK to have around for company to sleep in the living room though. But that price for a guest cot would nip that in the bud.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    We always called them "cots". I remember Eddie Bauer had a down insulated light weight version without the injection molded bits back in the 1950's. ;-)

They sleep better than the ground but not as good as a hammock. Same problems as hammocks as far as insulation goes. The higher one's like the army cot are easier on the knees for us geezers. We tried them a few years ago but went to the portable cabin instead for campground use.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    been using a LUXURYLITE for a coupla years

i use my XPED SYNMAT on the cot, just as i do in my HH SAFARI DELUXE

i would say that both methods provide as good or a better night's sleep as my memory foam bed @ home

since i do LIVING HISTORY/CHUCK WAGON EVENTS it is necessary to sleep inside a RANGE TEPEE, as the cowboys did on the great cattle drives of the 1880's±

my cot & pad are visually disguised in a traditional appearing CANVAS BEDROLL, making our camp look PERIOD CORRECT

these old bones don't do traditional ground sleeping any more

no amount of beautiful scenery or tranquility can be full appreciated w/o a good night's sleep

we all camp for different reasons

what's important is THAT we camp and enjoy our time outdoors

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Thanks for Your replies. It is nice to hear I'm not the only one testing stuff and piling up those which do not work for me (old biker). My pile is getting bigger ever month. I think if I had more time be outdoors I would have not got time to think these gear problems - and the pile would be lot smaller.

I'm asking about the classification because if cots could be named hammocks I could write about the Thermarest version at the free-to-all hammock section, but if they are not considered hammocks I will write about my current accommodation system to the not-free "Donating members Off-topic forum".

My current accommodation for colder three seasons is formed around Tipi. I have come to a conclusion that it is the overall best solution. It is a quite light (3,3 kg with the center pole, 7.3 lbs or 116 oz and there are also those Titanium Goats very light Tipis with carbon center poles around when I get my system fully tested), only other way to get a standing high roof over ones head as light is a tarp, but tarp is not as good in high winds - not enough protection during really cold season and when on lakeside. And "hot tent hammock systems" I have seen here in forums are harder to put up correctly than a simple Tipi with open fire. Tipi can also accommodate more people than one tarp and hammock - so it is overall lighter solution at group outings.

Wood fire is my choice for cooking - and that is possible inside Tipi even in bad weather. I have no floor in my Tipi.

But it is not possible to have a hammock inside Tipi (theoretically yes, but there is no practical solution if one must carry the load without a boat or a car and the solution where the hammock is suspended inside Tipi from nearby trees is too cumbersome in practice).

First I thought I could sleep outside with the hammock and do other things inside, but then I would need a Tarp or I should use the Alpine Hammock. Tarp is extra weight and I would also need a warmer insulation compared to sleeping inside Tipi (again extra weight). And if I had a Tarp and Hammock the Tipi would be an extra item in reality. The Alpine hammock could be used as a bug netting inside the Tipi if needed and it does not need tarp, so it could be feasible solution to use with Tipi. I use pad anyway for basic insulation and sleeping bag, so using the Alpine hammock could be a solution.

But what about the wet and dirty ground. It is not nice to lay on cold and muddy ground, even around fire. I want to lay over ground. And here comes the cot (aka. Sideways Supported Bridge Hammock with Integrated Stand aka. SSBHIS ) to my rescue.

SSHBIS also gives me an option to sleep outside if weather is good. So I get the best of both worlds - sleeping with perfect view and very good protection if needed.

As I said Thanks for Your replies - It is always nice to ask things from fellow hammockers and get real information and good food for thought.
    Last edited by voivalin; 08-08-2014 at 09:49.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    ...I'm asking about the classification because if cots could be named hammocks I could write about the Thermarest version at the free-to-all hammock section, but if they are not considered hammocks I will write about my current accommodation system to the not-free "Donating members Off-topic forum"....
    Cots and Tipi's are Donating Members Off-Topic Forum topics.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Cots and Tipi's are Donating Members Off-Topic Forum topics.
    please accept my apologies & feel free to move me to where i should be

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

• + New Posts