Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch

SHT section recommendations

I'm planning on doing a Superior Hiking weekend over Labor Day. What sections would you recommend? I was thinking Tettegouche trails and a Bean/Bear lake loop, but is that section and park going to be fairly crowded for being the holiday weekend? Other ideas? It's 3 nights, and I would prefer avoid doubling back on trails as much as possible. Thanks!

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    twin lakes (bean and bear) are always crowded, especially on holidays. I have not hiked very much of the SHT but I know that no matter where you go you will have a great time. Except for the bugs here can and will eat you alive.
    there is a mountain view or a beautiful stream or some kind of attraction every 2 miles on this trail, and every single one seems better than the last. I would suggest temperance river area, as most of those sites should be hammock friendly from what I understand, and there is plenty of water for drinking in that area.
    "Never be the smartest man in the room" ~ unknown
    "Peace is that moment in history when everyone stops and reloads" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Heavy
    I just hiked some of the southern section that you are talking about (I did split rock to hwy 1). There wasn't much for water and streams compared to further north. Bear lake is a great camp location, but there is really only one spot to hang and it isn't ideal. The Tettegouche falls were very cool (and popular, right near the campground), and the whole trip had a lot of great overlooks though!

I too would suggest camping near rivers. I just prefer them to the beaver ponds. The two sites on beaver river are great, but they are close to the parking area so they fill up quick and will have some semi-car campers. This weekend as I walked past those sites I saw a full blown red metal cooler hung up in the tree! I wanted to take an amusing pic, but I thought it may upset the people who were sitting right there

I'm going to try to get up there again next weekend and will probably go up toward cascade river. It seems from my experience the further north you go the fewer people.

To avoid doubling back you can take a shuttle to/from your car to a trailhead. This shuttle is under new ownership this year and the owner said that he is offering some different pricing for multi-person and/or multi trailhead trips. They aren't posted on the site yet, so it might be worth a call - http://superiorhikingshuttle.com

No matter what section you pick, I'm sure it will be a great trip!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking we'll probably do sections around Tettegouche, Temperance River, or Cascade River. Definitely looking forward to my first hammock backpacking outing, and from the sounds of it, I won't be disappointed.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That will be a crowded weekend for sure on the trail The further North you go the less crowded it may be.
    I have several videos on the SHT on my Trip Report link.....http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...zwwDh-P9J4-HoV
    Have a great trip.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Has anybody been up that way recently? I'm wondering about water situations, particularly between Silver Bay and Finland, or between Oberg Mtn and Cascade River?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch146 View Post
    Has anybody been up that way recently? I'm wondering about water situations, particularly between Silver Bay and Finland, or between Oberg Mtn and Cascade River?
    It has been a dry Summer with rain just recently. The small creeks are a bit dry I hear. The rivers and larger ponds and lakes are always good.
    Supposed to rain more this week but I would tote a bit extra water to be sure not to dehydrate.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Thanks Shug! We'll plan on not relying on creeks, and carry enough between rivers and lakes. Looks like the weather is going to be nice, now hopefully the bugs will cooperate.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    I was up in that area near Tetagouchie a week ago and the bugs were not that bad. I'd tote some extra water in between the lakes though..
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

• + New Posts