Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    If they are on the JMT about the time I go, I'll just do that! Those nice long straps on the Blackbird could be multi use, I could tie him up and we could take turns.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could make your own. Great way to learn what a hammock is about ... hands on. Not too tough to do. Great instructions here from one of our own members:http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
    Bug net can be bought or made as well several options there. Look uner "Bug nets" in Hammock Accessories Sub-Forum on this site.
    Other than that ..... Blackbird, Speer, Clark .... all good stuff.
    Enjoy the search and success.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

owning several makes of hammocks

note this--
    I (you) can setup the Hennessey high --think shoulder height-- so when you get in it is buttock high (is that proper and politically correct?).
    With the Warbird hammock you still set up the straps high but you are much lower to the ground. For me with the HH I don't even have to bend over at all in the entire setup excepting to tie off the tarp. Nice to have that method of entry but remember it is possible to fall, how far is up to you.
    I've learned with the Warbonnet that setting up on a hill can be a good thing. I push the hammock up to buttock height with my hand, sit in and then 'walk' my way down if that makes any sense.
    As far as weights I think one of my Warbonnets is as light as one can go at my body weight and that hammock weighs 1 pound 9 ounces and I've decided on the next major section hike to loose the rings and go with the loosed (slipped) Buntline hitch directly to the triangle and save another ounce or two (ascender rings and amsteel)....so 1 pound 7 ounces, still amazing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomboy in a sundress View Post
    OK... i know you've heard it a thousand times before- but I need advice on which hammock setup to go with. I have been researching all day, so far the one I have found which I like the best is the Clark Ultralight. Any other suggestions? Here is what I am hoping to find in the hammock I purchase:

1. Easy set up / tear down (love those snakeskins...)
    2. Detachable or zip-up netting for flexibility of use (ie, as a lounger before bed)
    3. Ease of entry /exit
    4. Comfort- not necessarily totally flat, but I don't want to feel like a burrito either.
    5. Detachable or optional rainfly which is actually large enough to be functional.
    6> Light weight! For my 3 week JMT trek.

If I can get all of this, and reasonably priced, too, I will be one happy (hammock) camper!
    OK, so your post reminded me of my first post. Now looking back, I wish someone had just told me to buy the BB (on the bright side however I have a HH, a Claytor, an Eno and 2 homemades to lend to friends). As for tarps, I am not finished yet, so I can't give you a definite answer. I currently have 3 and as long as I need to stay either warm or dry, I prefer the Speer winter tarp (size). I'm eyeballing a McCat or even a homemade for the regular season. Your needs may vary there on the south left coast.

good luck and welcome.
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Before its over, you will have many hammocks. just pick the one you like the best and watchout for the hammock buying or building bug to bite.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums. You may find this thread useful.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post

I think I know who she is.... I've been posting on Backpacker Magazine forums, and this is the girl asking about hammocks on the JMT because some old curmudgeon poo-pooed her aspirations to hammocking.
    old curmudgeon's like this actually deserve to sleep in tents They can keep their down hill slides in the middle of the night and waking up with a rock in the middle of their sore aching back

to sundressed tomboy the only thing I can add is I've got the clark tropical, a bit heavyer than the clark you're looking at but that's because I've added the weathershield. And that, I've come to find out, is a fantastic piece of added insurance for when the weather turns on you and you've not got enough clothes to keep you warm!!
    If you have any kind of problems with being in a "tight" or tighter feeling hammock, stay away from the clark. It tends to "fit" you closer than others that I've been in. And speaking of roomy, I got to try out a blackbird. HU-MONG-GUS is all I can say!!! Way different than my clark. I personally liked the "comfort" of having the hammock fit so close to me. I felt lost in the bb. So take those thoughts into consideration when choosing.

TinaLouise

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I agree, Cannibal, as long as the waiting list isn't too long... the girl has JMT dreams.

I think I know who she is.... I've been posting on Backpacker Magazine forums, and this is the girl asking about hammocks on the JMT because some old curmudgeon poo-pooed her aspirations to hammocking.
    Yup, that's me.

As far as the ease of entry/exit thing- I don't have any mobility issues, but some reviewers complained about the hassling with an HH, especially with a sleeping bag, and that the velcro closure snags clothes. I don't think that one's for me- without the detachable netting, it seems like it would be less functional.

I have gotten info-overload from jumping back and forth on mfg. websites- I remember that some sites specifically stated the ability to adapt to a tent with trekking poles- can any of you who own multiple brands attest to this- which ones would be best suited if I (sigh) have to go to ground level?

I think its a little late for the warbonnet- I want to do some test runs, and JMT starts the 17th. It's pretty pricey, too .

The sides being close to me wouldn't bother me, I don't thing, as long as I have a little breathing room above. That's what I liked about the Clark...

OH! And about that weathershield!!!! I have been meaning to ask- Do you know if that would be suitable to keep out a slight drizzle? If I didn;t have my tarp up? Because the convenience of THAT would be amazing.

Thanks for ALL your help! Hopefully I can convince my friend (the old curmudgeon ) that my hammocking aspirations are valid.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomboy in a sundress View Post

OH! And about that weathershield!!!! I have been meaning to ask- Do you know if that would be suitable to keep out a slight drizzle? If I didn;t have my tarp up? Because the convenience of THAT would be amazing.

Thanks for ALL your help! Hopefully I can convince my friend (the old curmudgeon ) that my hammocking aspirations are valid.

The warbonnet is worth the cost, and on the slight chance it didn't work, it would be snapped up within 24 hours of posting it here. Hammockers know a great thing when they see it. But you're right, it would take a while to get it.

You don't have to convince the curmudgeon - just use what you want. I have to say that the curmudgeons in my hiking group next week will see me up making coffee way earlier than they are, I'm the one who will sleep at night while they toss and turn.

I have thrown my driducks poncho over the bugnet - weather covers are as simple or as complicated as you want to make them. Just make sure you have ventiliation.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I loved my HH for years. The lay of the HH was fine except I hated getting into my sleeping bag while in it. It was a hassle every time. At the time I thought it was the best one on the market. That is until the Warbonnet Black Bird came out. I would not recommend a bottom entry hammock anymore. Tom Hennessey is now copying other peoples hammocks and is now coming out with a side entry. However he is still sticking with his same design. If you want room and a side entry the WB BB is the hammock of choice in my opinion. Now add a MacCat Ultra Spinn Deluxe and you will have a top notch setup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast