Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If your setting up in windy conditions, after you put the tarp ridgeline in place do you stake down the windward or leeward side of the tarp first? The first time I set up in a small breeze I did the windward side and it seemed to work out pretty good. I have only set my tarp up once so y'all help my learning curve a little.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    If your setting up in windy conditions, after you put the tarp ridgeline in place do you stake down the windward or leeward side of the tarp first? The first time I set up in a small breeze I did the windward side and it seemed to work out pretty good. I have only set my tarp up once so y'all help my learning curve a little.
    Windward 1st sounds good to me.

Hammock
    Hennesey Explorer
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Hi again,

I'm still trying to get a picture of what's happening with the tarp here...

From what I can figure, you have two lines connected to your tree huggers - one for the tarp and one for the hammock and the hammock and the tarp are in separate snakeskins.

You attach the tree huggers and tension the tarp ridgeline, peel back the top snakeskins and stake out the tarp, then tension the hammock ridgeline and follow the same procedure...

I realize it's a hassle to ask, but if anyone has some images of setup in various stages it would be a great help...

(sorry all - slow learner here. I'm just having trouble picturing exactly how this is working)

The local saying translates roughly to, 'Even if you forget your lunchbox, don't forget your umbrella', so I think I might need to know this stuff

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    For my setup... I have two separate lines to each tree. The tarp.. using just line... there is minimal stress on the tarp lines... tree damage is not all that likely.
    Then my webbing straps for the hammock. I hang each individually so it in no real problem to throw the tarp up quick and fast using figure 9's on the ridgelines and the tieouts.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    #1: The ridgeline cords (550 cord) are permanently attached to the tarp, so I don’t have to look for them or hook them on. At the far end is a small carabineer, attached to each D ring is a figure 9. I can then clip one rope to a suitable tree, walk to the other end, clip that to the tree, then fasten the figure 9, back to the start & hook up the figure 9, pulling the tarp taut.
    #2: All of my tie out cords are semi permanently attached.
    #3: I have figure 9s attached to 4 of my stakes, usually used for the corners which are the points I fasten at least 90% of the time. The other 4 stakes I just pull tight with loops on the far end. If I need a 9th & 10th stake, I use a rock or a stick or my hiking pole(s).

Nothing I use to increase speed really saves any weight, & most of it adds weight: the 6 figure 9s add about 1.25 Oz if my scale is reading right. The carabineers likely add another 1.5 Oz combined. I haven’t timed it, but set up at a leisurely pace is about 2.5 minutes for the tarp. I think I could have it up in less time, but so far I haven’t bothered to do it like a big T-Storm is bearing down on me. I think I can get the ridgeline up in 10 seconds if I hurry. Part of my “extended time is my tarp is rather large at 13.5’ X 10’, my smaller tarp with 4 fewer tie outs went up in under 2 minutes easily. I almost never use the extra 4 tie outs on the Big tarp, so in practice, the tie outs aren’t an issue.

The ridgeline to tree cords are totally different from the hammock tie outs. The only thing in common is the trees they share. I can set either up independent of the other, and in fact do so often. If it is raining, I set the tarp up first, if not the hammock goes up first. If there is no chance of rain, the tarp stays in my pack. If taking a break while it’s raining, I can just set the tarp up.

On a side note: my “speed set up” for my hammock adds at least 2 Oz or more. Yea, more because I suppose the ring buckles count as part of the speed set up, so lets say 4+ Oz. BUT, I can put the hammock up, taking my time in 30 seconds, including the UQ being in place. THAT I have timed!
    If “Showing off” My time is about 3 – 5 minutes. If I am showing off AND bragging, my time goes to at least 10 minutes.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i, like doctari, leave all my guylines attached on my tarp. i keep these wrapped up neatly and knot-free using a technique from someone on this site (starting at tarp end, wrap around hand until about 2 feet left and then wrap that around the existing line)

i too use figure 9's on the ridgeline b/c it's just so simple. i keep my tarp in a bishop sack, and leave it in there, attaching 1 of my ridgelines. then i simply walk the tarp out and attach the other ridgeline. if it's blowing around at this point oh well

then i simply tie out the sides (drive stakes in and wrap my line around the stake a bunch of times then tie a simple square knot). i can make adjustments later if need be, but it's good to just get it set up if weather is inclement

Hammock
    Hennesey Explorer
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    on the tarp i use bowline turned into larks head on the tarp drings and i never remove it, i only run the line through my stake and then tie a taut line on the line running from the tarp voila. When im done i just remove the stake from the line, wrap the line around my hand forming a loop with the line, then wrap a few inches of line around the loop and stash it in my dring on the tarp itself. So the line never leaves the tarp. When i take out my tarp, to unroll the i just pull it from the dring and unwrap it abit and gravity unwinds it. I use a bowline/lark combo on all my drings, and taut lines on the way back.
    EEeeek!!!

Don't suppose you could include a video with a few slo-mo replays? (I have this knot I really love, see... You hold the cord between your right thumb and left cheek, cross your arms behind your back, then you pull the rope from behind your ear and sort of wrap it around the other one in a clockwise direction...)

Anyone else here get blitzed by 'knot descriptions' or is it just me? :S

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    sakura try this site for slooooow mmoottioon knots.http://www.animatedknots.com/indexcl...matedknots.com
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    +1 on the figure 9's on the ridgeline. I do one wrap around the tree and secure with the figure 9's. (Makes it easy for centering over the hammock).

I use a taut line hitch on all the tieouts, saving the weight of the figure 9's ... I know, I know, it's a whopping 12g I save.

I also leave all cords attached and wind each separately in figure 8. When I remove from bag, it helps keep things untangled.
    Last edited by Scratch; 08-03-2009 at 08:14. Reason: Add info
    Dan
    W7DDM

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura1998 View Post
    EEeeek!!!

Don't suppose you could include a video with a few slo-mo replays? (I have this knot I really love, see... You hold the cord between your right thumb and left cheek, cross your arms behind your back, then you pull the rope from behind your ear and sort of wrap it around the other one in a clockwise direction...)

Anyone else here get blitzed by 'knot descriptions' or is it just me? :S
    Sakura, what tarp are you using with your HH and SS? Are you using the stock diamond tarp attached to the suspension HH style, stock tied to trees, or a larger after market tarp tied to the trees?

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/1setup.html

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/breakcamp.html

Just for fun, watch how quick the cute girl folds the entire hammock and tarp up in the snake skins! ( I know, I know, most wouldn't wrap a hammock up in a wet tarp, but still..)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast