Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I was finally able to get this done. This measures a more svelt 45" wide at the head and foot ends with 36" spreaders. Single layer Argon 1.6.
    I am the fortunate recipient of this hammock. I have been wanting to give a bridge hammock a try for a while and was contemplating getting a no-net Ridgerunner from Warbonnet for use in my bedroom when I came across this thread by opie:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Bridge-Hammock

I liked the looks of the hammock in that thread and sent a PM to opie telling him that and saying "If you ever decide to start selling them to count me in." He replied back not long afterward offering to build one for me and after a couple of back and forths regarding fabric color, my height & weight (6', 150lbs) and bug net/no bug net the build was on.

I received the hammock on Wednesday but didn't get it hung in my bedroom until Thursday. My 12' Speer style pipe stand is just long enough to get it strung tight enough and at the correct angle on the suspension. I did have to forgo the included whoopie slings and connect a couple of 31kn carabiners to hook directly thru the fixed-eyes of the triangle suspension. I had watched a couple of vids about setting up a bridge hammock (Shug, Warbonnet) but I was still surprised by how much lower the connection points needed to be (about 18") compared to my ThunderBird and Tablecloth hammocks.

I've spent the last 3 nights sleeping in it and I love it. I'm able to lie completely flat with no shoulder squeeze and my legs & feet have plenty of space for various postions. I am able to be comfortable on my side in this, as well as my other hammocks, but since switching to hanging full time I've been sleeping on my back all the time. In my bed it's the opposite.

Opie asked that I be critical of the hammock and has told me he wasn't 100% statisfied with it but the only thing I can come with is not really a criticism. I think that maybe having a 38" or 39" spreader bar at the head end would allow for my arms to rest completely at my sides. But like I told him it's not something that I am going to be losing any sleep over. To my eye the hammock is constructed very well with top-notch seams and stitching. Opie does great work in my book.

FWIW, every hammock should have a name, and since opie is from Michigan, I'm calling it the Mackinaw.
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 09-08-2014 at 12:44.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Trail, do you have the ability to add hanging points to your current stand?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Trail, do you have the ability to add hanging points to your current stand?
    If you mean permanent attachment points, it's something I'm planning on doing in the future. I just need to find one of my friends with a decent drill press. I'm currently just using a pair of tree huggers looped thru itself, wrapped around the vertical pipes and the other loop is passed under the last wrap.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    And your stand is 12 feet long, right?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    And your stand is 12 feet long, right?
    Yes, 12' long & 6' tall.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Early person too.

How amenable are you to increasing the length? I have 2 hammock bodies here that take a 43" spreader bar (I just have to put finishing touches on them). But that also means the overall length is going to be longer than the one I sent you.

The other option is to fix an attachment point at the 90 at the top corner of each end. Attach the cord there and then run it down through another attachment point along the vertical section. This will use up length, but if you have to burn up to much length, it may effect the legs of the triangle. Both points can be webbing with a loop in the end.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Early person too.
    Yeah, my alarm is set for 4:40 am during the work week. I haven't heard the thing go off in years as I generally wake up between 4:15 - 4:30 regardless of when I go to sleep which is usually in the 9:30 - 10:00 range

How amenable are you to increasing the length? I have 2 hammock bodies here that take a 43" spreader bar (I just have to put finishing touches on them). But that also means the overall length is going to be longer than the one I sent you.

The other option is to fix an attachment point at the 90 at the top corner of each end. Attach the cord there and then run it down through another attachment point along the vertical section. This will use up length, but if you have to burn up to much length, it may effect the legs of the triangle. Both points can be webbing with a loop in the end.
    I could add another foot to the stand but then the stand would likely be bouncing against my walls when I enter/exit the hammock. I do appreciate the offer of a wider hammock but I am completely happy with this one. I offered up the wider head spreader bar more as a point for future reference than an issue I have with this hammock.

I do hope you continue making these as I have a feeling I may want to hit you up for one with a bug net in the future that I can use on the trail.

Many thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Alright. The offer stands if you ever change your mind.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I finally got around to weighing this beauty. Here are the specs:

45" x 78" 1.6 Argon Hammock w/ 6' Whoopie Slings = 9.79oz (277.6g)
    36" 2-Piece Aluminum Spreader Bars = 9.92oz (281.4g)

Total = 19.71oz (559.0g)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12