Sleeping bag help.

Hey guys, I am going out for a three day trip in ohiopyle this weekend. Tempe should get down to 60 at the coldest, so fairly warm. I am using an eno hammock with a thermo rest inflatable foam pad. Using a blue tarp for a fly, 10 x 12. My question is on a sleeping bag. I have a kelty mummy rated to -15. It's very warm and bulky. I often have to unzip it in the winter because I get too hot. Could I get away with just a simple fleece blanket and a pullover? I don't want to get out there and freeze, but I also don't want to lug weight I don't need. Thoughts or suggestions? Caveat is I am on a $0 budget so it's either the bag or something in my house.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I sometimes use a full size blanket. I find the fleece blankets run small and my feet pop-out during the night. Wrap up in a full size bed blanket and the feet stay wrapped up. You can bring fleece also to add a layer if you think you need it.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Fleece blanket do often run short this is why I prefer to buy it by the yard BUT that is actually more expensive most of the time. So not ideal but if possible take 2 fleece blankets because you are trying to spend as little as possible. If you can get a really good deal on a military poncho liner quilt at a local shop that may be better. With either item what I like to do is fold it lengthwise machine or hand sew the bottom and then up from the bottom along the side about 12-18" NO MORE! This will form a foot box and help with the cold feet. Also take a emergency mylar blanket ($1-2 somewhat reusable). Be sure to take lightweight fleece beanie hat or poly pro military style sock hat, socks and long underwear in case a cold front drops temps below expectations or you get wet etc. Generally I put this stuff on at pee wake up time about 1 am then remove by sunrise because if not I will sweat in it and it will be unpleasant for the remaining nights. Most of this is cheap or you may already have something similar, or can buy at your local Army Navy store or Thrift Store or buy or borrow from an ex - military friend or relative. Cost can be very low or $0. Also read Hot Water bottle thread and if you need to pee do it, a six pack before going to sleep will actually make you colder and not sleep as well but it's your vacation so what the hey. Extra pounds in you BP will burn those calories. LOL.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-06-2014 at 11:35.

I have a pair of thermal leggings for hunting I'll bring with a fleece and a hat. I also have the option to bring a sleeping bag liner my buddy has, would that be more effective? I am 6'3" so all the blankets in my house are extra long already. I certainly won't be bringing beer as its a more of a backpack hike, and I'm not carrying beer for 20 miles.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Stop and pick up a cheap fleece sleeping bag liner. That should do the trick.

And for future reference, the Snugpack Jungle Blanket I just picked up packs small, lightweight, and I paid less than $50 for it. I think it will be good to about 45 degrees or so with a good UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL/AH Original
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex w/SS
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I'd have to agree....either a sleeping bag liner or perhaps a 40 degree sleeping bag from Walmart (they are running $39.99 in my area). Although since you sleep "hot" a fleece blanket may work just fine. :-)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Back in my pad days, before I moved to underquilts, I would take a ccf pad and duct tape a fleece blanket onto it, or maybe a mylar blanket, or both. And in deep winter, add a wool blanket to the mix. You can do a lot with a little!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    C'mon guys... OP said $0 budget so even if these options are less than $50 it is of no help to him.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

ok guys, thanks for all the advice! I think i am going to roll with a fleece blanket this time. I figure between a pad, a hoodie, and long johns i will be fine there, the blanket just adds an extra layer.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    i live close to ohiopyle and have camped there many of times before. i would agree with everybody saying hoodie and blanket. personally, i am warm blooded so i usually just take a mummy bag that i have that is less than 1 lb and once in the stuff sack, is smaller than 1/2 loaf of bread. it's rated to 0 degrees and works fine with me. in the winter, however, i take my BIG sleeping bag, and heavy at that, camping bc it is rated for -40. i hope you have fun! post pictures for us!

• + New Posts