Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images

Adirondacks - Five Ponds Wilderness - Inlet to High Falls Canoe trip

I just got back from a 6 day 5 night trip up the Oswegatchie River to High Falls and back with a small group of scouts and leaders. We started with a 6.5 hour drive from PA to Star Lake NY and an area known as Inlet (the starting point of our paddle). The river was flowing very well since they had had heavy rain a few days prior to our arrival.

The first day we made it to the High Rock area, site 41, and set up camp. I had to go a little ways into the woods to find some suitable trees, since my son and one of the other boys hanging took the closer trees that were hammockable.

The second day we paddled up to a cluster of sites that have access to the Five Ponds Trail. When we got there 2 of the four sites were taken, and one of the remaining was very small (and had no pairs of trees), but the site we took, site 25, was very nice...especially the site I found for my hammock. We stayed there 2 nights so we could hike and swim for a day. It rained both nights, but the sil-argon tarp kept me and my gear nice and dry.

The fourth day we went to the cluster of sites at High Falls. This was really nice since we got a site on the river that had a great breeze that kept the mosquitoes and flies away. It was a bit noisy being that close to the falls, but well worth it. We had a front blow through while we were there and it sprinkled on us twice, but the thunderheads kept on blowing by without really raining on our camp.

The fifth day we paddled downstream to the last site before our take out point (actually they added a site since my map was made, so I guess it was the second to last). This was an interesting setup since the other two hammocks (scouts) took the prime trees and left me to figure out how to span close to a 20 foot gap with one approximately 3 foot diameter tree. Fortunately I had 2 strap extenders (for leashing gear to the canoe) and some paracord that allowed me to pitch in an awesome spot.

While I was lounging here and enjoying a snack, a canoe went by and by their knowledge of my setup I knew that I had a hammock forums member. It was nice to briefly meet you Brooklynkayak.

Final day we paddled out and drove home.

Last edited by doogie; 08-10-2014 at 14:18.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG econ30
    Suspension
    WS/strap/Cinch bug
    Nice set up! Looks like a great trip. Is that a spatula in your guy line (Pic 1)?

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks looks y'all had a great time on the trip. Thanks for your service with the scouts. Funny how the boys always got the bet trees first. No respect for their elders.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    That is a nice river paddle. It has been said the Oswegatchie has so many bends at some points the stern of the canoe is ahead of bow.

I thought they closed the site at high falls right on the river due to over use? Anyway, the section above High Falls to the headwaters carry is very remote, un-maintained and full of blowdown and beaver dams... and is an amazing journey. The 5 ponds wilderness is a favorite of mine and was made for hammocks especially when off the beaten path.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisky1 View Post
    Nice set up! Looks like a great trip. Is that a spatula in your guy line (Pic 1)?
    Wow, good eyes. I had set it there to dry so the pine needles wouldn't stick to it. BTW, thumbs down on Coleman dehydrated bacon flavored eggs. Way more trouble that they were worth. Next time I pack a fry pan it's pancakes.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    Looks looks y'all had a great time on the trip. Thanks for your service with the scouts. Funny how the boys always got the bet trees first. No respect for their elders.
    Thanks, it was a great trip. Sometimes they jump too quick on the spots...also they want to get 2 together with room for the third underneath. But that spot they left me on the second and third day was prime. Perfect spacing, good breeze, great view and smooth level ground underneath.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    That is a nice river paddle. It has been said the Oswegatchie has so many bends at some points the stern of the canoe is ahead of bow.

I thought they closed the site at high falls right on the river due to over use? Anyway, the section above High Falls to the headwaters carry is very remote, un-maintained and full of blowdown and beaver dams... and is an amazing journey. The 5 ponds wilderness is a favorite of mine and was made for hammocks especially when off the beaten path.
    The twists and turns are really crazy. I normally have a very good sense of direction and it had me completely turned around. There was no indication that the site was closed at High Falls. There was a huge party assembling at the shelter and camp site next to it (in violation of the wilderness area rules). I sure hope they packed out everything they brought in. There were piles of beer cans on the shore and in the boats that they arrived in.

The next time I go back I think I would like to paddle into the Five Ponds Trail and hike into the Big Shallow shelter area to spend the first night. That was sweet and secluded. It's the photo with the fire ring in the foreground and the pond in the distance in the video.

BTW, the best sites for hammock camping would be site 23 (probably the prime for everyone) and site 43.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Nice trip report - looks like fun!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Fun! I can see your hammock knowledge definitely paying off. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That's beautiful! Makes me even more content with the choice of canoeing in the Adirondacks when me and my gf go State-side in a month's time!

Btw, Before I make a fool of myself over there... How do you actually pronounce Adirondacks..? I always thought it was "ah-DAj-ron-dacks", but the other day I watched a show (Think it was House MD), where someone called it "ah-dee-rOn-dacks"... if my phonetic scribing makes any sense..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast