DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_hanger View Post
    Even on day hikes I tend to have a second top in the bag. I tend to sweat a lot, and normally change the shirt once I've reached the summit of whatever I happen to be hiking. It makes for a more comfortable decent.
    This is a great suggestion. I'm weight conscious, but I think and extra dry shirt would be worth it. I think also investing in merino wool shirts to hike in would be worth it just because I think it dries faster. It's be a good experiment to take different materials, wet them, and see which dries out faster.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed BF
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    EMS Siesta Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Straps
    Great trip report. The Long Trail has always been on my "long" list of must do hikes.
    As for merino wool clothing, I use the Icebreaker stuff. Goes the distance, dries quickly, and believe it or not stays pretty darn odor free. As a matter of fact my daughter who worked for an outdoor clothing store was asked by the factory rep to wear the clothing for 30 days without washing it. It passed with flying colors. It was worth it because the rep gave her a bunch of free stuff for doing the experiment. It's not cheap but it works. IMHO.

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    Thanks for the trip report! I really want to hike that trail from the border up to Burlington (I live in Quebec). I'd then take the bus from Burlington to Montreal. I am planning about 5-6 days for this. This gave me a nice idea of what the trail looks like. Thanks!
    "Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up and snow is exhilarating. There is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather." -John Ruskin

Blog:
    http://FourSeasonsOfQuebec.blogspot.ca/

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Quote Originally Posted by UpMySleeves View Post
    Thanks for the trip report! I really want to hike that trail from the border up to Burlington (I live in Quebec). I am planning about 5-6 days for this.
    How many trail miles is that? Unless you're in good mountain hiking shape, I wouldn't plan on more than a mile an hour. Maybe less. That said, I did see several younger, thinner folks than me doing ok. Take your time and don't rush.

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dougalcorn View Post
    How many trail miles is that? Unless you're in good mountain hiking shape, I wouldn't plan on more than a mile an hour. Maybe less. That said, I did see several younger, thinner folks than me doing ok. Take your time and don't rush.
    Hmm I just based myself on the postholer map. It's a total of 90 miles so in 6 days it would be 15 miles per day. I'm quite fit and young (28). I know I can push probably 2-3 mph but it depends on the conditions. I am expecting long days. I might add days to the trip depending. It's not for this year unfortunately, but it gives me time to prepare.
    "Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up and snow is exhilarating. There is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather." -John Ruskin

Blog:

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Quote Originally Posted by UpMySleeves View Post
    Hmm I just based myself on the postholer map. It's a total of 90 miles so in 6 days it would be 15 miles per day. I'm quite fit and young (28). I know I can push probably 2-3 mph but it depends on the conditions. I am expecting long days. I might add days to the trip depending. It's not for this year unfortunately, but it gives me time to prepare.
    Total trail is 272 miles. Green mountain club says most through hikers do it in 26-30 days. That's around 11 miles a day at the fastest.

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    I agree I couldn't keep a pace of 15 miles per day for a whole month, but I think it might be doable for 6 days. I would agree in taking more time to do it for the argument of enjoying the scenery and having time in the evening. I appreciate your input however because I now get a feeling on how hard the trail really is.

Blog:

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Good luck and enjoy! Be sure to report back here on your trip

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Great trip report and thanks for sharing. Sounds like you increased the limits of your comfort zone on this trip. If I may make one correction the name of the shelter on Bolton is Puffer.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Those 3 miles from Taylor lodge to puffer shelter are freakin brutal! That's my favorite place to overnight. I'm lucky since I only live 20 or so minutes from underhill state park and I'm also only 20 minutes from Richmond, so I just have the wife pick me up the next day. I go up Nebraska notch to Taylor lodge, up to puffer, and you're right, those false summits suck!. I gotta say waking up to the sunrise at puffer is one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful things one can ever experience. It'll talk your breath away.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast