Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Kevin, clueless weekender

Hi, I'm Another Kevin! (There are lots of Kevin's on the hiking forums. Most of them aren't me. I'm Another Kevin.)

I signed up for this site out of curiosity, since I do see hangers in the woods. (I've even hiked with a few!) I've been lurking off and on for quite a while now.

I know this is heresy, but for forty-plus years of hiking I've been pretty happy as a ground dweller. I appear to be one of those fortunate individuals who can sleep like a rock, on a rock. I've got my ground system tuned to where it suits me pretty well: TarpTent Notch, 800 down sleeping bag, Therm-a-rest ProLite (plus a blue foam in winter). Light to carry, packs well, keeps me warm and dry.

But lately, I've had a few trips where I've had a nagging feeling of hammock envy. These have been tough bushwhacks - lots of pushing through dense brush - and I've been surprised to have had real difficulty finding a place to pitch. (I'm pretty good at stealth camping.) It appeared to me, though, that a hammock would let me get above the sharp rocks, sucking mud, dense brush, or steep slopes - which seemed to cover all of the ground where I was. It's no doubt a heavier setup, but really could save some aggravation on the occasional off-trail jaunt.

I also find myself with an REI gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to ease into this hammock business, and trying to drink from the fire hose with all the information here. (I've watched a fair number of Shug's videos, read a fair number of the sticky threads here, and I'm still confused.) So I'm hoping someone here can help me filter the reams of conflicting advice down to something that might suit me.

My specs: I'm largish (6'1", 190 lb in hiking trim, add a few when I'm busy at work). Side sleeper, and a restless sleeper. (Or so my wife tells me. I don't notice rolling around in bed, I'm asleep when I do it!) I hike in upstate NY and adjacent CT/MA/VT mostly. I'm not a long-distance hiker, a 3-4 day weekend is about my limit right now. I'd like to keep pack weight down. Blessed is he who sleepeth behind bug netting, for he shall remain sane. And I recognize that cheapo gear to get started is a false economy.

My tentative plan: HH Explorer Ultralite - I'm too big for the Expedition - with the stock tarp because that's the way REI sells it. I know that the tarp is a little on the small side, but if I can keep everything dry in an itty-bitty tent like the Notch, I should be able to rig the tarp low and close and do the same with the hammock. If I'm wrong, upgrading the tarp won't be a big deal.

I'm thinking of starting out using either my 40* or 20* bag - according to the season - as a top quilt, and for bottom insulation using my ProLite pad (slightly underinflated, as Shug recommends), with some shoulder wings cut from a scrap piece of blue foam, and maybe adding a piece of Reflectix. (I've got about half a roll sitting around my "scrap materials" pile.)

I know that using a pad isn't optimal for comfort, but do folks think this will get me started?

Then, when I actually have some real money rather than gift card funny-money to spend, I can upgrade to one of the JRB underquilts that's designed for the HH, and still later switch to using a real top quilt rather than a sleeping bag. I'd probably take these steps only if I decide that hanging is going to become my primary system. Right now that appears unlikely, but people tell me this is my first taste of an addictive drug!

I'm not worried about deep winter at this point. Brush and sharp rock are much less of a problem then. I can stomp out a tent platform with my snowshoes, and I'm all set. As I said, I'm mostly looking at hammocking for flexibility in site selection.

So, does this plan make sense, or am I being clueless (as per usual) here?

Thanks to the helpful people around here!

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    welcome from pittsburgh!! you seem to have a great plan in place. honestly, the only thing that i use is is a sleeping bag. i am pretty warm blooded so i usually end up ditching the bag halfway through the night anyways. i use an 8'X1-' blue tarp from walmart which is PLENTY for me (i'm pretty tiny though) however, most other that i've run into, have the full setup. the most important items are the hammock, weather protection, and something for warmth. most of us play around with our stuff to see what gets us the perfect match for all of the elements given. go with what you feel is comfortable and tweak things as you go. you should also test your setup somewhere local (backyard is always great) to make sure before you head to the woods and end up miserable. good luck though!!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Sounds good. Go for it!

You should get along well sleeping on a cloud with that kit.

After that any and every refinement will take you further down that road to comfort. Once used, few of us regret the slight weight penalty of an UQ. You'll be equally as pleased once you lose the full length zipper with a decent TQ.

I'd be surprised if an 11' L 60"+W hammock isn't in your future though.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm the same size as you and came to hammocks from a TarpTent, too. I have managed to keep about the same total weight and bulk with a hammock setup. I'm not in a child's hammock either; it's 11' long by 54" wide, single layer 1.6 oz. nylon. I have a fully encompassing bugnet 0.7 oz. netting, no zippers. Top and under quilts using premium down and 0.7 oz. nylon shells. And finally, a 0.51 oz. Cuben tarp.

A significant economic investment? Yes. The value of BOTH sleeping on a cloud AND keeping weight off my back? Priceless!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    It sounds like you've done the research and are ready to get out there and test it. I started with a $20 hammock and some paracord around the house. I soon added the cheap blue tarp too. It doesn't take much to get started, but the addiction drives you from there.

My back yard lacks suitable trees (good night, Irene!) but I have decent opportunities for easy overnighters from trailheads less than an hour away, so I can try stuff out pretty readily. Hike in a quarter mile from the road and 200 feet from the trail, and I'm legal.

As I said, I don't (yet) see this as a primary system. It's something that I can take on tough bushwhacks so that I've got a lot more chooices of places to camp. I'll have to see about comfort. You guys could be right that I'll be hooked. Some of my hiking companions swear by hammocks. Others swear at them. I don't know yet whether I'm an Ewok. I sleep pretty well on the ground.

I'm conservative enough that I won't consider this "well enough tested" before the 2-week outing in the ADK's that I'm tentatively planning for October. My tent and pad are coming on that one.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums Another Kevin.
    I can't speak to the hammocks you've selected, but you should be fine with a pad & sleeping bag choices.
    I use a 20* sleeping bag when it gets "cold", and I just leave it open on top of me.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Golite20/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    strap&buckle
    You have a sleeping bag and you have a pad, what you need is a hammock and a tarp. I have a Double layer ridgerunner bridge hammock and it works great with a pad inserted between the layers. the bridge will allow you to sleep on your side and some people can sleep on there stomach in it. If you will use the pad I recommend a double layer hammock

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Winchesterdon View Post
    .... If you will use the pad I recommend a double layer hammock
    +1 on the double layer if using a pad. Really. Seriously!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Kevin, welcome to the forum. You know me by another name at WB. A hammock off trail int he Adks is fantastic. As you mentioned, finding suitable tent spots except at established sites can be difficult. Having a hammock opens up a lot of possibilities for off trail camp. As far as side sleeping/tossing/turning, many people with these sleep characteristics find it changes when they are in a hammock (maybe not at first). So it is possible you might find yourself less of a side sleeper in a hammock, and a more still sleeper. I second the recommendation for a double layer with using a pad as insulation. There are many different hammock makers, there are the popular ones and the not so popular ones. I happen to love my setup and it is one of the least popular. I have a number of other hammocks as well. I often bring extras in my car for people to try out when I backpack with them. If we ever hit the trail together, I'd be happy to lend you a hammock to try out.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast