Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dryfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap Straps
    Hutzelbein, have you had any issues/concerns with the sharp edges of the split ring wearing or fraying the line? I strung my tarp up the other day with zing-it alone while waiting for my Stingerz to arrive and I noticed it kept slipping into the pocket on the slip ring where the two ends are. Obviously, you can just spin the split ring around but then there's the risk of it wearing on the tarp loop.

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, HudsonR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by limedude View Post
    Hutzelbein, have you had any issues/concerns with the sharp edges of the split ring wearing or fraying the line? I strung my tarp up the other day with zing-it alone while waiting for my Stingerz to arrive and I noticed it kept slipping into the pocket on the slip ring where the two ends are. Obviously, you can just spin the split ring around but then there's the risk of it wearing on the tarp loop.
    I noticed a little wear due to the sharp edges of the split rings. I think I may have created the problem by putting Tarp Fleaz on the rings, which opened the rings up so that the ends are a little more exposed than they were when new. I've now filed the sharp bits with a needle file--I'm hoping that will fix the issue.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by limedude View Post
    I have never noticed any wear in my lines. If you are concerned, you could always tape it over, I guess. Or don't larkshead the line on the split ring directly, but put a small biner in between.

Great method. I like it. I use Flyz mounted onto the split rings of the tarp. I have a Dutch Hook Lark's headed onto the end of Zingit. I have been clipping the hook onto the Zingit for the single line run. Like you have said, that leaves a lot of extra line. I will try and figure out how to clip the Dutch Hook onto the split ring for the V setup.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Yes, I think that's the way they are intended to be used. I have a couple of Stingerz that are connected with the tarp line as well. But when you want to hang the tarp very low (e.g. in bad weather), the hammock suspension rubs against the tip of the V. That's one reason why I'm now using the Stingerz as pictured. But maybe that's just an issue with shorter hammocks? I use a 10' hammock with an 11' tarp - if you hang the tarp low, the suspension will be very close to the tarp.

I don't use this method, either, unless I absolutely have to. The second method is just to lengthen the available ridgeline. If your ridgeline is 12' and your tarp is 11' long, this means that your trees have to be less than ~23' apart (actually less, because some of the length of the line is lost by going around the tree). So what do you do if you cannot find trees that are spaced less than 23' apart? Or if your trees are very big (i.e. have a large diameter)? I used to carry extra line for these cases, and also had very long lines which I did not need most of the time. The way I do it now, I can lengthen the ridgeline by using method 2. Yes, there is no V, so the suspension might rub against the tarp ridgeline. But it will do, and I won't have to carry additional line.

When I traveled the US East Coast, I never had trouble finding perfectly spaced trees, either. But not all countries (or probably even US states) have that many trees. I have camped in New Zealand and in several European countries, and trees on campsites are *not* common. If there are trees, they are often out of bounds - or spaced very far apart. My last hang was at a campsite where there was only one pair of trees available for hanging. They were ~33' apart and mature (= had a considerable diameter). I had to add dog bones to my hammock suspension and used method 2 to hang my tarp. The alternative would have been to sleep in a tent...

I know its an old thread, but I have to ask, how did you get your straps so high up on the tree?
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    I know its an old thread, but I have to ask, how did you get your straps so high up on the tree?
    Lean the bike on the tree; block the brakes; climb on the saddle; put the tree straps around the tree; push the straps up with a stick as far as possible Sometimes there are branches I can climb on. I also use the tree straps to help me climbing. That's why I don't use Dutch Clips but biners rated for climbing. Anything becomes possible when the alternative is sleeping on the ground

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Lean the bike on the tree; block the brakes; climb on the saddle; put the tree straps around the tree; push the straps up with a stick as far as possible Sometimes there are branches I can climb on. I also use the tree straps to help me climbing. That's why I don't use Dutch Clips but biners rated for climbing. Anything becomes possible when the alternative is sleeping on the ground
    Impressive. That has to be 15 feet or so. I need to work on my tree climbing game.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Impressive indeed. From the picture, it looks like the tarp ridge line is also connected at least 10' up the tree. If so, was that nessessary, or could it have been connected at just above head level?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yes, it was necessary to get the tarp ridgeline that high up. Any lower, and the tarp wouldn't have cleared the hammock. There might not be a lot of stretch in Dyneema, but with these kind of distances it becomes an issue. For example, the hammock feels completely different when hung with that much suspension; it bounces and it will also sag a lot more when getting in.

hutzelbein,

Nice idea for extending your ridgeline. I like the 'V' shape as well but sometimes I need the full length of my ridgeline. I use Fleaz (rather than Stingerz like you do) and was going to switch to Flyz to give me more flexibility. But the idea to take the lark's head off the ring and put it on the tree is fantastic and covers those rare situations when the trees aren't close together.

It's obvious once you see it but I guess all great ideas are! Thanks for posting it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast