Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    It's roughly 8/9 of the weight, and it makes a slight difference in packed volume too. This kind of thing adds up.
    The OP said:

+18 for 2oz overstuff
    -18 one length reduction
    -18 another length reduction
    ±????? for removing one baffle

Which indicates to me she was reducing the length AND removing a baffle. #stillcurious

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    The OP said:

+18 for 2oz overstuff
    -18 one length reduction
    -18 another length reduction
    ±????? for removing one baffle

Which indicates to me she was reducing the length AND removing a baffle. #stillcurious
    Removing a baffle would reduce the width as opposed to length. So it's smaller in two dimensions, reducing the weight further. How are you confused?

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Ohhhhhhhhhh.

I get it. Thanks for explaining. I thought we were talking about a TQ with the baffles going across L to R and I thought... it's really not worth talking about any more but thanks for clarifying.

#ifeeldumbnow
    #ignoreme

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Bushwhacker- Make sure you ask your questions thoroughly without assumptions. Removing a baffle doesn't necessarily mean the width of an UQ is lessened. It could also mean that the baffles are a little wider.

Make sure HG or whatever company you use is in full understanding of your requirements and finished dimensions.

Can't wait to see pics of your new baby UQ
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    It could also mean that the baffles are a little wider.
    That's how I read it...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Bushy...you seem to have been hammered for a pretty innocent question. But with regards HG, I feel safe saying from my experiences both Jenny and Adam are the best kind of people making a great products. You'll like what you get from them, you won't worry about the pricing at that point, and you'll be right there standing up as a friend to them when another person asks about them. Keep smiling!

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

custom orders take a bit more time and $ but make happy customers

I think Bushwhacker's original question, at least in similar words, has puzzled a lot of people who do not have much experience ordering custom made items. Therefore this has been a very helpful thread for many who never commented on it.
    On what may appear to some to be unrelated but is not: years ago I got nervous when my friend's wife always ordered her food at EVERY restaurant totally different than what was on the menu. Like that is going to anger the kitchen staff slow our order down and get who knows what thrown in there with our food, I worked in a commercial kitchen once that ain't cool, with some more stress out workers, just ask (not the waiter silly. The typical waiter knows about as much about commercial kitchen work as a car sales man knows how to operate a steel mill.)
    I have relaxed a bit over the years may even pay 50 cents extra for sweet potato fries with my $4 burger, use my "crazy money" for that 12.5% surcharge to reduce calories then occasionally blow it all on some several pints of fancy micro brew, living lá vida loca. Not so OCD now, too much hammock hang'n. LOL

Enjoy your new custom quilt even more than the adolescent minded HF members enjoy snickering at your screen name. ;-)

Probably not the best 1968 horror movie I watched but not sure I can remember any really good ones from that year??? "The Bushwhacker" with Dan Martin and Merci Montello. Funny screen name do your camping buddies hear strange noises coming from under your tarp late at night?
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-14-2014 at 06:25. Reason: grammar and typo check, old movies

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Money is tight these days. Not getting screwed is as much the buyers responsibility as it is the seller. I see nothing wrong in being thorough and complete when dropping that much coin on a piece of kit.

A lot of these guys have plenty of disposable income. Others don't. The ones that do, scoff at the idea of being finacially prudent and I think any savvy shopper should do what they have to to stay within budget.

As for the quilts - they're worth every penny.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have my own business. I have told clients that there would be a "breaking up cell phone" charge, but have never actually billed them.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    What I do if I want some custom work done....tell vendor I am considering getting item X with certain mods and can they do work and how much would it cost. If they quote a price I don't like/can't afford I say thank you for your time and check with another vendor. Once I have the information I then take my time to decide if the cost for the mod is really worth it. I I don't want to argue with the vendor as I never know when I might need to order from them and have them remember me as that PITA customer.

I have ordered from HG before and they make some excellent gear. Would not hesitate to order from them again.

The one time I did have a vendor mod a product, the mod was simple enough that they did not charge anything for the mod.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345