Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    Loved that movie!

Quote Originally Posted by kerryandjane View Post
    Wow, that's a rare movie I thought no one but me and my wife knew....... One of our favourites.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    Quote Originally Posted by Blenheim5 View Post
    btw is there any place to get amsteel that isn' t going to cost an arm and a leg?
    Do an ebay search, I got both 120' of 7/64" and 100' of 1/8" for like 50$ shipped.

But you can also search the threads Dutchware has Amsteel at 5.50 for 25'. http://dutchwaregear.com/hammock-stuff/
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I've been searching and am still somewhat new to this so can you explain what the benefit is in changing out the stock hennessy suspension for a whoopie sling? Thanks
    Since I don't know if Hennessy has upgraded their suspension, this may be old info. The stock suspension is bulky and heavy and takes a little longer to set up than a whoopie suspension system.

By using a whoopie suspension, you can use a Dutch clip on the tree strap(better than cord for tree and lighter/less bulky). The clip makes ease and speed of attaching to the anchor point a breeze over the cord. Than the whoopie(lighter/less bulky than cord), attached to strap, is the adjustable suspension to custom fit your hammock.

So you get a more adustable, lighter, less bulky, and better for tree than stock Hennessy suspension(old standard suspension).

btw is there any place to get amsteel that isn' t going to cost an arm and a leg?
    The aforementioned Dutch gear and Amsteel is available from Dutch, himself, at Dutchwaregear.com as above by Hudsonhawk.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

That answered it ! Thanks , before your comment I was still a little unsure

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    That answered it ! Thanks , before your comment I was still a little unsure
    The Hennessy suspension is not wrong, just different. It works great for some and not for others. That's why there are multiple ways and types of suspensions. Just find what you like.

There are many that still like Hennessy's suspension, others like straps/whoopies, and still others like just straps/buckles and many other types.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

12 vs 8 strand and fake amsteel

Another big difference between True Samson Rope's Amsteel (SK75) dyneema 7/64" and 1/8" is that the 1/8" has an extra 4 strands like all the thicker gages of that cord while 7/64" only has 8 strands. I.e. more physical strands to fray, become abraided or cut.
    A guy at a recent hang used a hammock from an Australian company that I do not care to bash and the 7/64" Whoopie Slings failed on one of the first times they where used. I asked to inspect the "Amsteel" it had ripped or been torn straight through with just a normal person hanging from it. I suspect this "bliss-full" Australian company did not use genuine Samson Amsteel to make those Whoopies. But the cord looked a lot like the real stuff to me.
    Buyer be ware.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-16-2014 at 20:47.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    Almost like the webbing i bought to try out my new dutch clips on this weekend from Sportsmans Warehouse, I got things all rigged and hopped in for a nice nap and ended up lying on the ground.

Awesome, I thought the whoopies I made myself and am so proud of slipped or broke. Or worse I tore my hammock great. But no it was the crappy webbing that stretched out and unceremoniously dumped me on the ground.

Needless to say I made some dogbones and am gonna go toggle for now.

― Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    I just purchased some 7/64 amsteel for whoopies when I decided to change out my stock HH suspension. But after watching Derek Hansen's video about the advantage of using a continuous loop attached to the hammock, I want to do that and then attach the whoopie to it via a Dutch whoopie hook (and make it easier to swap out my whoopies with other suspensions if the mood strikes me)

My question is, what size continuous loop should I use to attach to the hammock (15 inches?) and how much is good to bury inside the loop to be safe (12 inches?). Thanks for any information.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    What I have seen posted here and if you look at the samson site they suggest is the bury should be about 10x the thickness of the diameter not including the length of your taper. You may want to play with different lengths for your loops but most folks seem to like somewhere around 12".

Here is the link to the Samson site for specs on splicing: http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/...l-Blue_WEB.pdf

― Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ + DIY Sniv
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Grappler
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudsonhawk View Post
    What I have seen posted here and if you look at the samson site they suggest is the bury should be about 10x the thickness of the diameter not including the length of your taper.
    10x the diameter is not nearly enough for the bury. Samson pretty consistently recommends a bury of 2 fids, not including the taper. Usually they add another fid for the taper. So my practice is to make all of my buries 3 fids long. A fid is 21x the diameter of the rope. So a fid for 7/64" Amsteel would be around 2.3", and I therefore use a bury of 6.9", which roughly 63x the diameter of the line. Here are the instructions for an end-to-end splice and an eye splice, both of which use buries of 3 fids, including the taper:

http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/...or_End_WEB.pdf
    http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/...UL2012_WEB.pdf

The whoopie sling instructions that you posted above recommend a bury of 2 fids, but don't include a taper.

Since I use a bury of 3 fids, the smallest continuous loop that I can make from 7/64" Amsteel is around 14" in circumference, which is what I have attached to the ends of my hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast