Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images

Thinking about starting my section hike of the AT

As the title says I want to start sectioning the AT. I have several questions. But my main one is are the last couple of weeks in October a bad time for the smokies? I'm seriously out of shape but working on it. I'm more worried about snow and ice and not having the correct equipment. I have ula ohm 2.0, good UQ and TQ, tarp, water filter etc. the basics really. Would I need ice spikes, leg gaiters, snow shoes ? I know there is question about having to stay in the shelters versus hanging somewhere near by. I plan on calling sugarlands visitor center and asking a ranger. If any of you have experience I would greatly appreciate it. I'm thinking New Found Gap to Davenport Gap. I walk slow so thinking 4-5 days. And if any one wants to join me let me know.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    The park is busy during October, but mainly on the weekends. However, I'd think busier means shelters are more full and you have more opportunity to hang due to shelters being full. On the flipside, I think you have to have a permit for a specific shelter on specific nights unless you are a Thru Hiker. I don't know how many permits they issue per shelter per night. You may have a difficult time getting a permit. I do believe you can get them online now.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ &amp; ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks JuneBug. I will ask the ranger about the permits. The coldest I have been down to is 22* with improper equipment. I bout froze to death. But now cold weather shouldn't be a problem. Just more worried about hiking in snow or ice. I have checked the Leconte lodge blog for the temps the past 2 years for the end of October and they had lots of snow and ice. I have also ordered some packit gourmet to try. I do plan on getting more hikes in before I go. Ad I'm going to the gym about every night after work and hitting the treadmill with a good incline.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I too am section hiking the AT. My recommendation is to read trip reports and watch videos about the sections that you plan on doing. The Smokies can be chilly in October, but a 20F top and under quilt. Junebug is spot on about the permit. I am hoping to work my way through the Smokies by November, but that depends on if I can get away to finish the stretch just before them.

I don't think that ice spikes would be necessary but if you feel unsure and can handle their addition, it might be wise. Also, have an emergency plan in place just in case the worst happens in an unfamiliar location.

What are you doing to get in shape? Where are you starting and when? How far do you plan on going?

I look forward to see what your plan is.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ &amp; ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Whoopies
    Images
    FIMB I am walking on the treadmill with a pretty good incline on it. Doing some kettle bell exercises. My legs are sore as we speak. I'm going to get some over nights in on my days off before I go. This will be my first long back pack trip. I have read and watched tons of videos and trail journals and continue to do so. I have watched yours and that sucks that you got sick. Hope you are able to get back on the trail soon. I look forward to more videos. Definately a good idea on a back up plan. Not sure on the start dates yet sometime between oct. 20-31. Starting from New Found Gap to Davenport Gap.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    The official word on hiking along the AT in the Smoky Mountains is that you will be required to purchase a permit and reserve nights at each of the shelters you plan to sleep. There is an online reservation to do this. They will not allow you to hang your hammock anywhere in or on the shelter. Plus, the official rules are you can't hang outside the shelters either. (Of course, some do anyway.) If the shelters are full, then you are free to hang outside the shelter at that point.

If you want to "section hike" the AT, why not start at the beginning down in Georgia? The rules would be a lot less stringent outside of GSMNP.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you need ice spikes and snow shoes it's the wrong time of year! ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    I saw 20* in the AT Shelter north of Charlies Bunion on an early November solo from NOC to Davenport. It was the blowing rain that was worse.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ &amp; ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to call the visitor center regarding permits and may just have to look into getting or borrowing a nice thick air pad for the shelters. My 4 inch memory foam has me a little spoiled unless I can get lucky with SOBOs filling up the shelter but I think most will be done by the end of October. Reason why I'm going to the smokies is that my family will be camping at elkmont. So it will make getting to he trailhead and pickup much easier.

• + New Posts