Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing

First hammock: Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater or Hammock Bliss No-See-Um?

This is my first post and I would appreciate some help on deciding upon my first hammock. After much researching, I'm now in information-overload.

So far, I've narrowed it down to Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro and Hammock Bliss No-See-Em No More.

I found a used 12' metal hammock stand (brand unknown). I'm assuming that it'll be a suitable frame for either hammock. Is that true?

This will be purely for summertime, fair weather, backyard hanging - I'm not really a camper, but the idea of sleeping under the stars intrigues me. And, I've never slept in a hammock, so I don't even know if I'll like it. I definitely want an integrated bug net. Also, funds are tight, but I'm not very handy with tools/crafts. I'm 5' 4".

Which hammock would you recommend? And will the 12' frame work with it? TIA.
    Last edited by cap624; 08-14-2014 at 08:59.

Well, I'd have to pick the hammock bliss out of those choices. I've tried the grand trunk double (I learned I hate the extra fabric in a double though) and I also hate how Eno, Grand Trunk, etc stitch striped panels to the sides of the hammock. The seams never stretch at the same rate as the rest of the fabric and form a ridge. I always end up in a banana because it is so uncomfortable on the ridges it messes up the diagonal lay.

I had a hammock bliss sky bed and i loved it, but it ripped along the seam one night camping. It didn't rip the whole way, just enough to fit about 3 fingers through, so I contacted hammock bliss. I heard from Dov (the owner) right away and he offered to replace it no matter where I had bought it, as long as I sent the ripped one in so they could see where and why it had failed. Dov actually (perhaps accidentally, perhaps not!) upgraded me to the no-see-um hammock, my first integrated net hammock. I think I liked the hang on the sky bed a bit better; I like a flatter lay, and with the netting stretched out I feel that the hammock body is a little droopier than I prefer. I also wish the zippers went across more than just half of one side of the net so you could roll back the net. However, the netting itself is great, super stretchy and durable, and keeps the bugs out with no problem. Obviously, you can't go wrong with their customer service either! (Thanks, Dov!)

Your mileage may vary, and for what it's worth, my tablecloth hammocks are more comfortable than either of those two. And if I can make a fronkey style net, anyone can. Hell, if you're not camping, you could probably use duct tape and velcro instead of sewing. My sewing machine broke post-fronkey, so I actually had a lady who does alterations make my tablecloth hammocks - another option if you really, really don't want to sew.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My first hammock was the bliss no see um. I liked it and I think if is a good starter hammock.

Hammock
    bliss no see um
    Tarp
    light and cheap
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    I have the bliss no see um and I am very satisfied with it.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Interesting! I'm actually a little surprised to see three votes for the Hammock Bliss, and none for the GT SB Pro, given that there's a separate forum for GT, but not for HB. Thank you all for your input, you've been very helpful!

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Update: I didn't buy the Hammock Bliss or the GT SB Pro, but instead bought a Grand Trunk Ultralight. Having never slept in a hammock before, I decided to go the inexpensive proof-of-concept route. And, it being late August, there weren't many more hot & humid nights where it would be nice to sleep out under the stars, which was my original motivation.

For the past 2.5 weeks, I've been sleeping in the Ultralight indoors, suspended in an 11' metal hammock frame. It's a freakin' blast! And comfy, too!

It didn't take long to discover how chilly it is at 4am (even indoors), so I bought a poncho liner and rigged up an underquilt. I re-purposed two small couch cushions, put them in pillowcases, and put one under my head and the other under my knees. I have managed to eject one (or both) during the night, but I have yet to eject me. Cool beans!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    At 5ft 4 you could go with either one. You could also wait for Woot to offer the Yukon Netted Hammock, cost about $30 with shipping.

Did a review on it here...https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=yukon+review
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    SB Pro, Lawson, Everest Double
    Images
    Bought my skeeter beater pro used about 6 years ago and still use it camping with my scouts. I did the ridgeline mod listed on this forum and sleep great.

Mike

• + New Posts