Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    Wow. That was some feat lilricky. A running commentary while hiking. Well done. I'm impressed. I was, however, hoping to see our camping area and the pond.

Yo! Gumbo and Timberr, can I hike in with you? Which trail r u going to use? Where do I need to meet you at what time?
    Hey SK! Of course you can hike in with us. Lilricky, Gumbo and I should be getting to the trailhead around late morning or lunch time. We'll get better coordinated as we get closer to Friday.
    We will be taking Hidden Pond Short (~2.3 miles or 45 minutes - which ever comes first).

We're getting ready! Gear is staged all over the house!!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Sandy, since your staying overnight Thursday at Juniper, it will be easy for you to drive out of the park, make a right on US 40, go less than a mile(where the 2 Westbound lanes turn into 1 lane), Then go to the dirt road (FR33) on the right. Then go about 3 1/2 miles to the Hidden Pond Short trailhead.

Equilibrium is hiking in about 6pm from Pat's Island. Anyone else coming in at that time on Friday? His request is on the previous page.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Looks like ya'll are going to have a good showing and a lot of fun. Kinda getting the itch but I was able to satisfy it some at the Lobster & Lighthouse hang last weekend. Met a bunch of great people but then I've never met any hanger I didn't like.

Was answering a PM this morning from samsara and it was 59° in the RV with the furnace running and 50° outside. Might as well stick it out a few more weeks here before returning to the sauna we call Florida. Looking forward to Grinders B'day hang and seeing everyone again and meeting some new hangers.

Here's to a good hike and hang friends.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    All Diy.
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon
    Insulation
    Diy TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looks like no soccer on Saturday for us. My son and I should be able to make it down Friday night around 4-5 pm . Thinking about parking at Hidden Pond short as well, guess it depends on parking though. Looking forward to this weekend.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just a note to those who are new to hiking in the Ocala National Forest. Before you come out, go to your nearest Walmart and in the camping section where they have the insect repellant, buy a container of Sawyer spray permetherin in the yellow and black box and treat your hiking socks, shoes and pants. We have chiggers in the area and they love to bite, while not painful when they bite, they actually dissolve skin cells with their saliva and burrow into the skin causing an extremely itchy welt. While they do die when itched, parts of the near microscopic bug remain in the skin, making it extremely slow to heal and the itching persists for quite some time. We shouldn't have too much of a mosquito problem this late in the year, it might be a good idea anyway to also spray the outside of your hammock and its an extremely effective mosquito repellant and safe for any and all fabrics. However, make sure your gear has dried completely after treating it, as it is slightly toxic while wet, but FDA and EPA approved after it has dried. A properly treated garment should last about 7 washings, so no need to reapply after each wash.
    Last edited by lilricky; 09-21-2014 at 09:35.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by equilibrium View Post
    I'm planning on hiking in Friday evening if anyone is interested? I'm going to try to get off work a little early and should be at ocala beetween 6-7. If anyone is coming in from the Jacksonville area let me know and we can even ride down together or meet up somewhere. Let me know or PM me.
    I should be coming in some time around then. It really depends on when I hit the road in the morning on Friday. If it turns out that my ETA is for around that time, I'll PM you with my phone number so we can try to meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Just a note to those who are new to hiking in the Ocala National Forest. Before you come out, go to your nearest Walmart and in the camping section where they have the insect repellant, buy a container of Sawyer spray permetherin in the yellow and black box and treat your hiking socks, shoes and pants. We have chiggers in the area and they love to bite, while not painful when they bite, they actually dissolve skin cells with their saliva and burrow into the skin causing an extremely itchy welt. While they do die when itched, parts of the near microscopic bug remain in the skin, making it extremely slow to heal and the itching persists for quite some time. We shouldn't have too much of a mosquito problem this late in the year, it might be a good idea anyway to also spray the outside of your hammock and its an extremely effective mosquito repellant and safe for any and all fabrics. However, make sure your gear has dried completely after treating it, as it is slightly toxic while wet, but FDA and EPA approved after it has dried. A properly treated garment should last about 7 washings, so no need to reapply after each wash.
    Absofreakinglutely! Also, Permethrin is highly toxic to cats when wet, but harmless when dry. Keep the kitties away from your gear while it's drying.

See you all there!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7D
    Tarp
    OWL OMW
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Alright sounds good. I'm going to pick up a map from REI today for Ocala that way if I have to hike in alone I will have that with me. Unless the trail is marked and dumbyproof, which in that case I wouldn't need a map.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by equilibrium View Post
    Alright sounds good. I'm going to pick up a map from REI today for Ocala that way if I have to hike in alone I will have that with me. Unless the trail is marked and dumbyproof, which in that case I wouldn't need a map.
    If you're coming in on the Florida Trail via Pat's Island trailhead, its extremely well marked with orange blazes, just keep hiking 3.5 miles and you will run right into Hidden Pond, the campsite is just south of the pond, you'll see a path to your right adjacent to the pond leading into a shade covered area. If you're going to use the Hidden Pond Short trail, there are no markings, but it just runs straight with only a couple of curves into the Florida Trail, where you'll take a right and then Hidden Pond will be just ahead. Check out my previous post in this thread, you'll find a GPS track and a webpage to show it to you. You can also go to www.lilricky.com and download the Florida Trail gps track which will show you the route from Pat's Island Trailhead. I would recommend using Garmin's free Basecamp software for viewing that one.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Got the permethrin today along with some lightweight socks. Now to find time to treat the gear before we head out.

Getting excited!
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Sept 26 - Sept 29, 2014 (Friday-Monday) The 3rd Annual Summer's Last Gasp Hang, hanger's list:

1)FLRider - Fri-Sun
    2)Wafflebox -
    3)Floridahanger - Sat afternoon-Sun, maybe Mon. - Pat's Island, Sat 3-4pm
    4)Lilricky - Fri-Mon - Hidden Pond Short
    5)Sandykayak - Fri-Mon - Hidden Pond Short
    6)Timberrr -Fri-Mon - Hidden Pond Short
    7)Gumbo - Fri-Mon - Hidden Pond Short
    8)Grinder
    9)Great White
    10)Life Scout
    11)C+1
    12)Little Life Scout
    13)equilibrium - Fri-? - Fri 6-7pm
    14)Robcp1981 - Fri-Sun - Hidden Pond Short, Fri 4-5pm
    15)Rob's son - Fri-Sun - Hidden Pond Short, Fri 4-5pm

Wants to go:
    1)Jake2c
    2)YeahIdIDThat

There are a lot of new faces coming on in. How cool is that?

Looks like possible showers for this year's hang. Same as last year, will probably be wet on the hike in and beautiful at evening.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast