ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    My impression Texas is more wild wild west than California, the scenes either ranger with pistol kicking *** or ranch owner with shotgun in his porch waiting to shoot whatever transpassing always on my mind :-)

If I don't have weapon, I'd let them took my Walmart EQUIP

It's not that bad here in Texas. Well not any worse than anywhere else. You just have to know what to look out for and what to avoid. I get the scary Texan from time to time as most people who have met Filipinos haven't met a half Filipino Half Texan that is 6'4" almost 300 lbs.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    You obviously haven't camped in a border state where hundreds of millions of dollars of contraband are smuggled in by highly armed bandits and also grown in small plots of wilderness land throughout the region, even on private ranch land where I camp. I recommend that folks who don't know what the heck they are doing stay in well guarded state parks or back in suburbia like your backyard. Next time you do extreme wilderness backpacking in Texas wear a kevlar vest. Joking a bit there, just be aware of your surroundings. Talking loudly on a mobile phone is NOT advisable.
    Wow. As much of a "rush" as that might provide, I tend to enjoy the relaxing aspects of camping (and I'm a bit boisterous with hiking buddies on occasion). Cant imagine having THOSE types of concerns... Had enough of those shenanigans in Iraq!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post
    I can understand where he is coming from. If you confront someone in a criminal act, regardless of how you want to handle it, sometimes things can go haywire. Most people would want it to get physical as they would rightfully be angry, but what if the thief has a gun and the situation immediately goes life threatening. Or for that matter some of the knuckleheads in my home state of Texas with carry permits might get a little antsy and blow things out of proportion.

To tell you the honest truth I don't know how I would react. As much as I would like to say that I would handle it regardless of the cost, then I have to weigh in if something happens to me then what will then happen to my wife as she would normally be right there with me.
    So all in all it is a valid point to bring up.
    Odd things happen when we are pressed into a "Fight or Flight" situation. I have been in a few of them, over the years. I am female, short and now older. I learned a long time ago to bluff, well sort of bluff. I stand my ground and I send out strong messages to the person or persons I am having a problem with, the message is---"This is going to be more trouble than it is worth". I also know when to run like Heck, I always wear clothing I can run in if I must make a hasty exit. I grew up with a bunch of male cousins, played hockey and was very short through high school.

When I have caught someone trying to steal from me I make a lot of noise, ask them what they think they are doing, put my stuff back and leave. Kind of my old time school teacher attitude.

When you are defending your self or something that belongs to you, it is impossible to know how you will react until the time comes. I think our brain does a lot of subliminal calculations on the situation and tells us what the best course of action is.

All the lock people, be sure you have two keeps in different places. Combination locks sometimes get a piece of something in them and jam up so you can not get them to release. Voice of experience.

I have observed critters demolish camp sites, Ricky Racoons learn to open containers, ravens and magpies are destructo units.

We just do not leave our gear unattended, my kayak is tethered and my dog lets me know if anyone touches it.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Months ago on a similar thread when I posted what I had actually done to protect my gear and myself a moderator deleted my post and lectured me on the TOS. So now I try to only post modest stuff like call local law enforcement.
    I lived in S. California for a few years there are some serious rednecks there just like in small towns and rural parts of Texas. Good friendly people that you should not cross because they defend their own but are also very kind to strangers in need. But I am not necessarily talking about the suburbs like Plano, TX or Fremont, CA. One of my neighbors left a ENO hanging from a tree in his front yard for 2 months, no one touched it. I suspect the sun destroyed the fabric however.

PAC Safe makes a cable net security system for backpacks. http://www.pacsafe.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567