Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    My advice is if your gear is expensive I.e. hammock, possibly tarp take 10 minutes, pack it up put in a black plastic bag or dark lightweight dry bay (I.e. Marine or military style) and stash it out of sight.
    It might be different elsewhere, but here in minnesota I have found caches and I leave them lay, but I know most people would take it thinking that someone had lost it, or forgot it. But in my experience, most people leave their things set up and never have them taken. most people I know, including me, as they approach a camp, they stay as far away as they can and try not to be seen, almost like they are afraid of being accused of something or ridiculed for disturbing the peace. my advice if you dont want someone to steal your things, hang your hammock with your pack and gear in it, and try to hang the tarp so that nobody can really see if someone is inside. Cuben fiber tarps would probably not work for this.
    "Never be the smartest man in the room" ~ unknown
    "Peace is that moment in history when everyone stops and reloads" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    Just as people would compliment "that is cool gear", Hammock is attractive, less decent being walk by may not bother to disassemble and pack your tent, but un-clip your hammock and walk off could be done in a blink, I wouldn't left it unattended, put it off sight at least. Even one week summer camp in Scout reserve site, I pack my ENO away every morning, only leave Walmart EQUIP hanging.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Whatever works for you, a silly note, mark you spot, stash gear...

It definitely depends on where you hang. For many decades or even centuries folks from South of the Rio Grande have used the Texas river systems to migrate north but this is probably not an issue yet in MN. But the 4 States that border Old Mexico know all about it. Most of these people are very honest and want no trouble I have talked to them and wish them no harm. I once described an improvised dead drop alarm system with trip wire that I learned decades ago from SF guys but a HF moderator deleted that post (violated TOS) and got very mad at me so will not repost it. A simple warning note in both languages is generally enough. You probably don't even need to say you just got released due to prison over crowding and are happy not to be wearing a Hannibal Lecter mask any more but sure do like hiding up high in trees with your high powered cross bow. When I spot folks reading "that note" from a distance it really seems to freak them out, they look up in the trees and book on out of there. I am only joking, laugh a little.

Once I had some people help themselves to my firewood. So the next night I left my hammock, went over to the campfire area and hid for several hours behind the dark side of a tree, squatting down there drifting off a bit to sleep. About 3 am these guys came over breaking twigs and stuff whispering like suburbanites do in the woods. I let them get very close to the wood pile then jumped out and scared them. They went running off, I think I heard one of them say something about needing a new set of under garments, LOL.

So sure, set up a cheap low cost bit of gear that you can survive without to mark your campsite as being used, leave a note that suits your own personality, polite but firm is best. Game cam would be effective if well hidden, law enforcement could work with that if thieves don't also spot and steal that. Also learn Spanish if you live in one of the 4 SW states by Old Mexico. FYI Folks with very large square backpacks are not casual backpackers.

BTW stashing gear is an art form I probably should not have mentioned that, much like concealment is far more than just buying apparel and hammock in camouflage patterns and colors. Like my Dad said "don't open that can O worms boy." And don't leave crazy notes, the game warden, ranger and local law enforcement will visit you and other campers will not invite you over for hot coco, marshmallows and smokies over their campfire, in fact from miles around they may just pack up and leave and then you will just feel bad.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Never thought of someone taking my hammock. Of course, usually where I go they would have to pack it out, and if they are back there, they are probably carrying their own stuff already. I like setting up camp and then heading off for a day hike without most of my stuff. Makes hiking more fun when you don't have to lug an extra 20 pounds around.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Hmm, as a thru-hiker, I generally always have my stuff with me. Although, just testing out my hammock along the river here in town, resulted in a large number of people, losing their boundaries, and coming closer out of curiosity, either to look, or give me unsolicited advice.

I have camped in campgrounds with a tent though, and its amazing how many people come into my site, because there's no car there. Between this and the curiosity factor, it makes me think, people will do anything, as long as they think they're not going to get caught.

So basically, go deeper into the woods, and if you're going further than 50', take it with you. If you've spent money, it doesn't weigh much anyway.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've spent too much money on my gear to let some jerk walk off with it. I don't set up camp unless its my last stop of the day. I may walk off to get water down yonder, but I'm never far or gone long.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    How does one hang their stuff with a steel cable and padlock ?
    Trying to envision this ( if ever necessary ).
    There are some nifty cables that are very difficult to cut, they are slim and not heavy. I bought such a cable to keep my kayak where I leave it.

I would be paranoid about leaving my gear secured, someone would probably cut it up just for spite. I just take my stuff with me, very occasionally I stash it, but then I worry.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    There are some nifty cables that are very difficult to cut, they are slim and not heavy. I bought such a cable to keep my kayak where I leave it.

I would be paranoid about leaving my gear secured, someone would probably cut it up just for spite. I just take my stuff with me, very occasionally I stash it, but then I worry.
    Those cable locks are 1 step up from having nothing as they can be basically be cut in half with a multi tool very quickly. Locks are really only a visual deterrent for someone thats just looking for something they can walk off with and will not stop someone determined to steal your stuff.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryandjane View Post
    I normally wouldn't leave anything out in the open unless I was in watching distance. Sometimes when I'm going a bit further off I make a noisy trip wire with my Ti pot/pegs. Now I use a rape alarm from Amazon similar to this:Attachment 91593. It's a pull-pin 130db alarm.
    I set it up in random places every time, no favorite spots yet, but it's hidden and highly likely to be triggered by a buttface.

I've always wanted to hear it go off, but as of yet: New Zealand, Taiwan, Cambodia, China, Palau, Japan, and Australia (places i've camped solo) are safe and noone has snuck up to smell my gear.

As an alternative you could use a good ol' claymore mine. They'd only try steal your stuff once. Make sure you point it away from your gear though and recycle what's left of their clothes as char cloth.
    Attachment 91592
    I like your style. lol

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Typicalsloan View Post
    Those cable locks are 1 step up from having nothing as they can be basically be cut in half with a multi tool very quickly. Locks are really only a visual deterrent for someone thats just looking for something they can walk off with and will not stop someone determined to steal your stuff.
    You'll never stop a determined thief, bank vaults even get robbed, but locks will keep the mostly honest, honest.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast