WBBB DL Multicam XLC, Roo
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing

Versatile setup for noob

I am looking for my first hammock. I want something I can use in my backyard or the park, so I don't want an attached bugnet or shelter. However, I want the option to add those later on for camping if I decide I like the hammock.

I went to a local shop wanting to get an ENO Doublenest and either their atlas straps or Kammok python straps to get started. The guy in the store sold me on the Kammok Roo, saying it was a staff favorite and much more comfortable and better made than the Doublenest. I haven't hung it yet because I have buyer's remorse and I am thinking of exchanging it. I have done a little research on Kammok on here and it doesn't seem to be liked by many.

Should I keep the Roo and work my way into a bug net, shelter, and better straps later on? Should I even bother trying to piece together a noob system that can work double duty for the backyard and camping, or should I just return it and order a WBB? I have looked through most of the noob setup sticky thread and saw a lot of ENOs and WBBs. Thanks for any advice.

I have a kammok. Biggest difference I think is that its larger than most others. I just started camping in mine and its a pain without a proper bugnet. A normal 10x12 tarp works for rain coverage. The python straps are idiot proof and good to start with but you would probably want to upgrade to reduce bulk in the near future. Kammok sells bugnets and tarps but they are pricy. My recomendation is to keep it and upgrade later or, if cash is tight, to return it as There are many cheaper starter hammocks out there without the integrated net and tarp. If you want to carry on into camping upgrade at that time and put proper thought and money into it. Hennessy is a good starter pkg and a bit cheaper than wbb I believe. On this forum there are many builders that sell items as well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    ENO hammocks are probably the most popular starter hammocks around. They are great for backyard lounging and car camping. I still use my ENO which was my first hammock for lounging. If you want to eventually get into using it backpacking you may end up getting something less bulky and lighter weight if those are concerns for you. Not to say you can't use an ENO in the backcountry but if you are weight conscious, every little bit of weight and bulk adds up. What is the price difference between the ENO and the Roo? If it's significant, I say exchange it for an ENO. Get the feel for hammocking and down the road look into the cottage vendors such as Warbonnet or Dream Hammock if you want to go further a field than your backyard.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Both ENO and Kammock make easy-to-use lounging hammocks. Using them to camp requires a little more gear than comes with the stock hammock, and--given their weight and bulk--the hammocks are less desirable for use in the back country for most folks. That being said, there is nothing inherently wrong with either hammock company's products (save ENO's Slap Straps; they're made of nylon and stretch more than you want in a static suspension). They're the equivalent of a big-name external frame backpack: heavy, durable, and usable by everyone; but not necessarily the best tool for your specific needs.

If you really want one or the other, go ahead and use it. If you're willing to spend slightly more money, however, there are a number of manufacturers available that make lighter (and, possibly, depending mostly on you, more comfortable) hammocks, some of which are ala carte (you purchase the hammock, tarp, and netting separately) and some of which are integrated systems (hammock, tarp, and netting are included in the main purchase price).

If you intend upon hiking, biking, kayaking, adventure running, or some other muscle-powered endeavor with an hammock as your primary shelter, it's worth doing a bit of research to figure out your specific needs before purchasing (for most folks, this is reducing the weight and bulk as much as possible while retaining comfort). If you're going to car, motorcycle, power boat, or other machine-assisted camp with your hammock, the weight and bulk don't really matter. At that point, just look for the most comfortable (and Kammock does pretty well there for most folks).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Jack - I think we've been drinking the same water. I had picked up an ENO DN with atlas straps after trying out my niece's, but then tried a friend of mine's WBBB, well, the ENO was returned and a WBBB was ordered. I also added one of their overstock travelers which are $45 for quick day rides to the area parks.

Hammock
    WBBB DL Multicam XLC, Roo
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks everyone for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    If you really want one or the other, go ahead and use it. If you're willing to spend slightly more money, however, there are a number of manufacturers available that make lighter (and, possibly, depending mostly on you, more comfortable) hammocks, some of which are ala carte (you purchase the hammock, tarp, and netting separately) and some of which are integrated systems (hammock, tarp, and netting are included in the main purchase price).
    Could you name a couple of the ala carte examples you mentioned here?

I am kinda leaning towards just keeping the roo for the backyard and getting something better and lighter if I want to start camping with it. I do a lot of kayak/canoe and car camping. Don't get to do much backpacking these days. The doublenest is about $30 cheaper than the roo, but it's going to cost me about $50 in gas to travel to Houston to return the roo.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I am a big fan of Simply Light Designs. Jared does great work and ships fast...

Also, Hammeck has a Gray Breezy with suspension on clearance right now on their web site for $37.50. That's a great deal.

Both of them sell decent hammocks at a great price that you can add on to in the future.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    Could you name a couple of the ala carte examples you mentioned here?
    Sure. These are just off of the top of my head, and are in no particular order:

Warbonnet Outdoors: Hammocks, tarps, netting, suspension, insulation.

Jacks'R'Better: Bridge hammocks, tarps, suspension, insulation.

BIAS: Hammocks, suspension, netting.

Wilderness Logics: Tarps, hammocks, suspension, insulation, netting.

Underground Quilts: Tarps, insulation.

Hammock Gear: Insulation, tarps, suspension.

Dream Hammock: Hammocks, suspension, bug netting.

Arrowhead Equipment: Tarps, suspension, bug netting, insulation.

There're many, many more. These are just the ones I thought of off of the top of my head. It's worth hanging around here and checking out the vendors' sections (scroll down the main forum page) to see what each has to offer.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts