Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunder
    Insulation
    Wooki 20 Degree
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Hammock gear options please

I'm 5'11 and 80 kg.

I just ordered a Warbonnet xlc hammock in 1.7 single layer and now I need quilt-age.

I'll set a low temperature usage rating of around 0.

Ideally I want lightweight options with the ability to be highly functional.

How long and how wide really? Bearing in mind I want to minimize pack size and weight.

Many thanks.

Marc.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    that's 176lbs for those not up in kilos.

it may be hard for someone to be able to answer that. Are you a cold sleeper? do you feet get cold? what kind of rating tq do you have? Full coverage tarp? plan on getting an uqp? did you order the winter top cover?

The first savings you could use is a 3/4 length. many people (like me ) use them. I would be prepared to have a supplemental item to use as well (like a ccf, thermarest, reflectex, jacket or something else. width depends on whether you sleep at an angle or straight. do you move a lot when you sleep.

for a tq if people want a utility item they will get the draw cord and button options for the ability to open up the tq and use it like a blanket. The problem is you loose warmth thru those air gaps. 0 bags are less likely to have that option. Of course our great ventors will make whatever you want.

A pea pod works by encasing your entire hammock set up. i would assume if you were needed that you would also still need the tq and uq.

the biggest factor here is comfort. If its more comrotable for you to save 3-4 oz in your pack and sleep with cold spot. or sleep covered all warm and carry a few extra oz's of downy goodness.

Personally when I start looking to temps at or around 0 I would be looking to add a pea pod. so maybe the 3/4 would be ok. I have not slept many nights at those temps, but I have been caught out with the wrong temp gear for the night. I could not see saving a few carrying oz's to try and sleep shivering. it is not fun. Just my .02 from a non-gramm weenie. I am also not going to be carrying my gear 2000 miles... yet.
    Last edited by miyanc; 08-15-2014 at 08:31.

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy, GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Buckles/Whoopies
    Images
    Just to clarify, since you used kg for your weight, are you referring to 0*C or 0*F? Big difference there

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Briguy114 View Post
    Just to clarify, since you used kg for your weight, are you referring to 0*C or 0*F? Big difference there
    Good point 32 degrees worth.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm assuming Wakefield, UK, and 0°C.

Have a look at UK Hammocks - they're the only European quilt maker I know of. If you don't mind ordering from the US, Hammock Gear makes very light full-length underquilts. If you want to use a 3/4 underquilt, the Warbonnet Yeti is extremely light and packs down tiny. You'll need to use a sit pad under your legs, though.

With regards to the temperature rating of the underquilt, a 20°F (3-season) underquilt should be sufficient to keep you warm at 0°C. I'm an extremely cold sleeper and 0°C is just about doable for me when using my 20°F HG Incubator.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunder
    Insulation
    Wooki 20 Degree
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Sorry for the confusion. I typically use the SI system of units wherever possible but as you can see mixed units are still a reality in many parts of the world.

I meant 0 degrees Celsius.

I'm more bothered about getting the maximum amount of comfort with minimal fuss factor.

I'm normal shoulder width and a normal temp sleeper I guess.

hutzelbein you are correct in your assumptions.

Hammock
    HH DJ XL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 Tarp
    Insulation
    Pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A 2nd for UK Hammocks. They are a solid product and with customs & shipping from US you'll save a heap of cash...
    ... still end up ordering odd things from the US but Dutch makes light and inexpensive stuff!

• + New Posts