Looking for spots WY SD MO WV

My son and I will be travelling back from Yellowstone in September and hitting some site along the way.
    Need to find places to hang fairly close to the highway. So any help with more details would be appreciated.
    1. Bighorn NF, WY
    2. Mt Rushmore/Badlands NP, SD
    3. West side of St Louis, MO
    4. Charleston, WV
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    My son and I will be travelling back from Yellowstone in September and hitting some site along the way.
    Need to find places to hang fairly close to the highway. So any help with more details would be appreciated.

2. Mt Rushmore/Badlands NP, SD
    around mt. rushmore won't be any problem at all, there are lots of forest service campgrounds and hanging is permitted in all of them, you can also stealth anywhere on forest service land as long as you are not with in 200' of an established campsite, although we have, and the ranger we talked with was totally cool about it

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/blac...25823&actid=29

badlands are going to be much harder to find a spot, telephone poles and fence posts can be the only thing for miles in that area, you might be able to camp along a steam with trees down there but it would probably be on private land, you sure might to ask first if you can find a house

aslo if you are going to be here i would recommend going to see crazy horse, it's not competed, privately funded and they have been working on it since 1948, but it is very impressive, all of mt rushmore will fit in a small part of crazy horse, i always tell people i am way more impressed with it than mt rushmore

http://crazyhorsememorial.org/visit-...orse-memorial/

let me know if there is any other info you need

boot
    Last edited by Boothill; 08-15-2014 at 07:33. Reason: additional info
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Thanks Boot for the info. It will help us plan our route. We have a friend from that area of SD and was talking up crazy horse as well. I'm wondering if my son's work pass for Yellowstone will work at the other NPs. Would be helpful.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

Bismark Lake camprgound right outside Custer. Its the best campground Ive found in the Black Hills. No electrical hook ups so keeps the Rvs out and its small and fairly secluded with great views of the lake at campground 4 and 5.

Close enough to custer that you can drive into town (great hamburger and cafe place, just ask around), or bring a pizza back to the campground with you. Id stay away from custer state park campgrounds unless you like the hussle and bussel of lots of people in rv areas.

Cfi thanks but just checked. Bismark Lake closes for season two days before we would get there
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

For the Bighorns, take HWY 16 out of Buffalo. Tons of places as soon as you hit National Forest. Crazy Woman Canyon is great (there is a campground about a mile in), lots of places along Pole Creek Road, Baby Wagon Creek on the west side of the pass will have some elk bugling in September, as would Canyon Creek road. Get a NF map and explore. Great area!

Cfi thanks but just checked. Bismark Lake closes for season two days before we would get there
    I just looked and cant believe it closes September 6th. Thats right when the camping and hiking start getting really good. Too bad.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    you can still camp there, once the campground is "closed" they usually shut off the water and sometimes the bathrooms are locked and sometimes not, but then again you don't have to pay anything once they are officially closed either, but there is nothing wrong with hanging your hammocks there and camping if you want to

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

I like those rates.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

• + New Posts