Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles

DIY(ish) "supershelter" like protection using Poncho + PLUQ?

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to take a moment to bounce an idea off those who have more experience with this. I apologize if this has been covered before. In my searching, I didn't find this specific idea. If I missed a thread I should read, feel free to point me to it. I appreciate any input that anyone is willing to provide.

First, some info about me. If you would prefer to skip on down to the idea, scroll down to the next set of bolded text.

I'm 5'8" and 200 lbs. I'm a hot natured person, and my inner fire seems to stoke up a little more when I go to bed. In October, I will be taking a 4 day overlanding style trip in my Jeep to the Arkansas Ozarks. I have very little camping equipment, so I've had to acquire a variety of things. This has required a TON of research to select high value quality items to get started with.

Having slept on the ground in my youth, I know I don't want to do that again. I have enough issues with beds already. I decided I wanted to go the hammock route. After much research, I decided the hammock purchase needed to be a good quality multiuse product to last a long time. After speaking with Brandon on Friday, I ordered a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double with a Superfly tarp. The Superfly might be a little bit of overkill, but it is 4 oz lighter than the Hennessy Hex I had previously planned to get, and I figured it should serve me well if it's the only tarp I ever acquire.

So now my thoughts turned to insulation. Sleeping on a pad doesn't sound like it would afford the full comfort that a hammock should offer. Not that I know, as I have no way to try one out. Down underquilts seem like a great idea, but the price is a little prohibitive for this year. If this hammock experience works out for me, I'll upgrade to one next year. When I was considering getting a Hennessy, I did alot of research on the Supershelter. Despite it's potential to be a little fiddly at times, it seemed like it might be a good fit for me. I also found the Poncho Liner Underquilt information, and I own a few GI liners already.

The idea I'm considering...

I'm wondering how effective it would be to combine the following items into a form of a DIY supershelter.

Space blanket
    PLUQ
    Jacks 'R Better DriDucks Poncho Undercover (multiuse as rain gear by day) - http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/dri...n-kit-applied/

I'll likely sleep in long baselayers and wool socks. For top protection I plan to use one or more of: my old Coleman synthetic mummy bag, poncho liner, or wool blanket.

I'm also considering getting the Gossamer Gear wide pad as a "go to ground" backup option, or to put between the Blackbird layers. If I don't like the feeling of the pad there, I'm thinking it could go in between the PLUQ fold. Hennessy also sells the OCF pad for about $30 which could be used as well. Another multiuse option is the Exped Multimat.

Since I feel I need a backup pad, and personal rain gear anyways... I really like the multiuse aspect of this idea. I just don't have any idea how warm it could possibly keep me. Projected overnight lows for the Ozarks in October are around 40F. I do understand that we are all different, and any input is really a best effort at an educated guess.

Thank you for taking the time to review this. Any input is appreciated.

Vert
    Last edited by VertigoTX; 08-16-2014 at 23:35. Reason: changed title since I'm not the creator of the items suggested

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    In retrospect, calling it a "DIY" idea isn't accurate, as I'm not going to create anything. I'm just trying to piece together some reasonably priced multiuse items for underquilt type protection.

It also looks like this has basically been done as a Garlington Taco/Insulator using an additional tarp.
    Last edited by VertigoTX; 08-16-2014 at 23:45.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I use my driducks poncho as a garlington insulator when needed to extend the range of my UQ and/or pads. Works very well. Like you, I appreciate the multi-use factor even tho I never use the poncho as designed. IIRC, one of the vendors used to sell the driducks poncho already modded for this use.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I use my driducks poncho as a garlington insulator when needed to extend the range of my UQ and/or pads. Works very well.
    What type of quilt do you use, and how much do you think it adds to the capability?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VertigoTX View Post
    What type of quilt do you use, and how much do you think it adds to the capability?
    I have a Leighlo 2/3 length UQ. I use ccf when the temp gets to single digits and below. I cannot say how much it helps as I plan on my main insulation to be enough, I use the poncho when the conditions drop a bit below what is expected (including significant rain when using the UQ). The weather conditions have much more than just the temperature variable. I have tested my own gear in many different configurations and settings. I know what works for me. I would not attempt to extrapolate to another person, with different gear, in different conditions. If one wants the quick and easy, then they will overkill with their gear (larger tarp, accessories, conservative insulation, etc...). For those who want to pare it down to the minimum it requires significant knowledge and experience for the individual with their specific gear so as to make the adjustments as needed when conditions are not as expected. I have found that even the same piece of gear works differently when paired with different other pieces. It is all a system. My recommendation is to try your own stuff out in varying conditions to learn how it performs for you and its limitations. All I can say is the driducks poncho does help. How much and in what ways depends on the person, their other gear, and the conditions.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    ...My recommendation is to try your own stuff out in varying conditions to learn how it performs for you and its limitations. All I can say is the driducks poncho does help. How much and in what ways depends on the person, their other gear, and the conditions.
    I appreciate your input and time. The variable nature of all these factors does make it difficult to predict. Thank you for taking the time to respond as you did. I look forward to beginning my own testing soon.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Happy to help albeit just to confirm your idea. Enjoy the testing, it means you get to camp and hammock!

• + New Posts