Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    That is a great photo. I have seen people use a very hard rock wedged in a crack with rope or webbing attached to it, this makes me nervous if there is more than 18" to fall. I think I saw Bear Grylls and another "actor" on Isle of Sky doing that on a T.V. show recently. Will not saw what I really think. But this may have been how people routinely did it hundreds/ thousands of years ago when metal was not as easy to carry and more valuable than it is today. Bottom line test it out and hang as low to ground as possible on a summit or in carpeted bedroom.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    [QUOTE=ShellHammock;1308237]the big difference between climbing slings and tree hugger straps is the material used. Climbers use nylon that is dynamic (stretch) and hammockers use polyester that is static (don't stretch). Of course a rope is a rope and you can hang from just about anything. I just don't like it when my suspension stretches over night and changes the angle of my dangle

As an ex- climber i can tell you that slings do not stretch any appreciable amount. The rope itself is what stretches and reduces the dynamic affect of a fall. As someone else has mentioned its good to get a bit of training in how to place natural protection,,its not obvious to many and takes a bit of practice. A rock in a crack can work as well as a nut if placed properly. Any wired nut you use should have a small sling on it to allow for any movement that might disturb the nut or rock or cam device. Cams work best but are expensive unless you think you'll use them regularly. I think you'll have better luck with large slings around boulders than you might finding the appropriate cracks for hanging. Anyway good luck with that.
    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    Shell: cool picture very creative (and brave !)

OutandBack: Thats true, I do worry for my dyneema though

At 17g i often just take one of these along
    Attachment 91773
    Where do you use dyneema at? your whoopie?
    I just use the tree strap loop to go around the rock or stick.
    Just like you use it to go around a tree with no hardware.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Most often, when I'm in and area with sketchy amounts of trees etc, I use a 20m dyneema in a SLS with a bachmann/munter hitch on the carabiner. Its not that this is a better way to do it but I just cant leave behind my bushcraft roots (where a hank of rope is always in the pack)

Ha you know what it has never even occurred to me to use the tree strap ! I'll go buy my rock climbing buddies a drink to see what they think (it should only cost a pint or two)

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    As the others have said. Wrap a bolder, jam a crack, use natural chocks, etc etc.
    A flexible approach will have you hanging in a rocky situation, the bottom line is...do it safely.

If I do plan to hang on a treeless summit I'll take my tricams, carabiners & a few endless climbing slings...they're a lightweight
    flexible arrangement anyway.
    Otherwise I'll leave them at home, summit, take some pics & drop down to the treeline.
    Being caught out in an exposed area by some incoming bad weather will get the heart pumping,
    hammock swaying & tarp flapping.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    This is interesting, and I could totally see a rock or stick being used..!!!

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about hanging off a cliff or anything, more like if there's a clearing with large protrusions of rock, or on the side of a slope (mixed with a tree?). Nothing extreme. I just want to be able hang in more places than in the bush.

I'm curios with what your friends and you come up with Scotty Von Porkchop!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This has been on my mind a long time, and on my next big fishing trip up north I would like to go to a tree-less area, but with this kind of system instead.

However - what do you do with the tarp? Wrap the guylines around boulders? Attach it more or less to the tricam that your hammock hangs from? Or smth else?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    This is interesting, and I could totally see a rock or stick being used..!!!

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about hanging off a cliff or anything, more like if there's a clearing with large protrusions of rock, or on the side of a slope (mixed with a tree?). Nothing extreme. I just want to be able hang in more places than in the bush.

I'm curios with what your friends and you come up with Scotty Von Porkchop!
    Me to, I'm only talking the usual 18" from the ground.

K0m4, If my tarps RL can not be attached the same as the treestrap I will attach it at the marlin spike. Not as tight but it works.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    I would not suggest this as a complete alternative to getting some professional instruction, but this book is incredible and lays out any climbing scenarios you could possibly think of, illustrations included. In addition to instruction from an experienced friend of mine, this book taught me to trad climb. I think anyone who has read it will agree, much of the technique can be adapted to hanging your hammock. Think: hanging belay stations, big wall climbing, etc..

http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering.../dp/1594851387

Good luck and be safe.
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123