Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    I keep reading about people having condensation problems with pads. I've been using pads (including Reflectix!) in a double layer RR for about 3 years and have never noticed a problem. I guess I can regulate my body temperature from above well enough to avoid it. Maybe people are sleeping naked? Or just real heavy sweaters?

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    ChacMool,

As I said, the XL is my primary summer insulation. I have never had a condensation problem, as it does have more openings than most pads. It is made of a very durable fabric. I recall seeing a video (maybe on Backpacker Edge) of someone jumping up and down on one of these (on a gravelly site) with no ill effects. I use mine in between layers on my Ridge Runner. I'm sure this creates more dead air space. Still, this is definitely for summer use. I have "wrapped" it in a poncho liner for more insulation.

I like the XL because it is light weight and packs very small. It gives an option if one had to go to the ground - I haven't had to try that. Works great in the Ridge Runner.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    franken Guide tarp
    Insulation
    incubator 0 degree
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Does it widen it out like other 25 inch wide pads (ie thermarest base camp)?

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    It tapers more from the hips down, but it still adds some rigidity to the hammock. I have used the XL in conjunction with the Lynx (in the winter) just to create a firmer lay.

I've been using a therma rest xtherm in my hammock. Using a pad isn't as comfortable, but the xtherm provides a lot of insulation which keeps me quite warm. And no problems with condensations. Packs up small and light too

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Thanks, kghiker.

At first I thought the Klymit XL would be too long for the Ridgerunner, but after trying out a similar (Large) Sea to Summit pad and a smaller (MW) ExPed SynMat Hyperlite, I think you've got the perfect size. But I couldn't find a Klymit around here to try out, and was worried about the relatively sparse insulation.

Novascotia hanger, I think how much you inflate these pads determines how much they widen out the RR. I liked how the Sea to Summit felt in that regard, but the Klymit may feel very similar. Generally, pads are only inflated about 1/4 to 1/3 of full in a hammock, almost limp, but a bit more inflation gave my feet more room to not be on top of each other.

I ended up getting Sea to Summit's (new) Comfort Light Insulated pad [There are several versions of this pad, both insulated and uninsulated.]

See more detailed comments here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...62#post1462662

Spent way too much time dealing with pads today, but it felt really great to be back in my RR again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12