Images

Tree strap extensions vs. long tree straps.

I had this thought a few times I think might be worth giving a try if someone hasn't already.
    When figuring out the lengths for my suspension, I often measure the hammock, assume a proper hang angle, and then make the strap + UCR/Woopie as long as can be where I'd still be able to reach high enough.

Derrick explains some of this with his calculator. If you pick two trees that are say 30 feet apart, you could technically use them, but you'd probably need to climb them to get the suspension high enough in order to get the hang you want. You'd ideally need the suspension a bit over 10ft high.
    For more, see the calculator here

Aside from trees being too far apart -not a horribly common problem- you also run into issues when the trees are too big.

It dawned on me that having tree strap extensions, if setup right, could possibly provide a solution for not just the latter but also the former issue. Assume a Dutch clip on your tree strap and a fixed look on the other end. Your extensions are then dog bones made with webbing. Now I know people do this already and just add the extension on for bigger trees, but what I've never heard of people doing, is using the extension to form a step to get higher on a regular tree.

if you took your dogbone and ensured the loops were big enough to get your shoes into, you could put it around the tree as high as you can reach, step into the hanging loop, and step up high enough to get your actual tree straps around the tree where you need them. Step back down, remove the extension from around the tree and put it on the end of the tree strap.
    Of course, that's assuming the length of the extension just happens to leave the loop hanging at the right height for you. Not too high to step into, not too low to be useless. One could take up slack if needed though with a few careful knots.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Yes I have used the method I believe you are describing, it is not easy to hold on to a large diameter tree step up on a rope/webbing ladder of sorts or hold on to a branch or cord tied to one for balance. So if at all possible try to move your webbing straps higher up the tree trunk with your trekking poles or a found stick with a "Y" in it. If your backpacking/camping companion can help you it may be easier I.e. hold tension in the strap. Also wear sun glasses so bark and moss does not get in your eyes.
    If you are using "tree huggers" with loops on both ends it may be possible to just girth hitch (lark's head) the extension strap or Amsteel dog - bone to it. If not a Trucker's hitch may work or some hardware, many possible solutions.
    As has been mentioned hundreds of times a key to hanging beyond 20-30 feet between trees/posts is the SRL.
    Generally I am able to select trees to avoid this but if you are trying to pack a lot of people in a small area or just want to hang where there is a great view you need to get creative and "engineer" something unusual.
    Have fun and be safe with it, not over any 300' river gorges if you can resist the temptation. LOL if you are like me you might wake up with a full blatter and forget where you hung when you went to sleep.

• + New Posts