Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Mt Madison & Adams, NH

Just a day hike, but a fun outing nonetheless!

Got the Appalachia trailhead around 11pm, with plans to sleep in the car & head out early. Due to the "supermoon", the parking was packed with folks night hiking.

Woke up at 4am & decided to start early. Having never really "night hiked", it took a good 30 minutes of walking to get over my concerns. Idk if I'd do it often, especially in unfamiliar terrain & especially above treeline. Good thing I'm slow & the sun came out before long!

Headed up Airline Trail, which was about what I expected... Steep & rocky! I'm far from in shape, so regular breaks kept the pace nice & easy. Breaking out above treeline, I was rewarded with some awesome views of Madison, Adams, & the Perch Hut... This is what makes the effort worth it!

A bit farther along, I came to Madison Hut. Apparently I was the first person there that hadn't spent the night... Got some free pancakes! Lots of people were still waking up & getting ready. One day, I'd love to spend a night up at a Hut, but my current finances prefer a free camping spot in the woods. After a quick breakfast & review of maps, it was on to Mt Madison! Met a nice older woman who's section hiking the AT with her son. Was a bit slower pace than I intended, but well worth the conversation! They continued on their way, while I turned back for the boulder scramble towards the Hut & Adams.

Unintentionally, I took the Star Lake Trail instead of the Gulfside Trail, but was rewarded with a nice view I'd the pond up there . Not sure how tough the other trail is, but this one kicked my butt. Lots of rocks, lots of uphill. Finally reaching the summit of Mt. Adams, I was treated to a good 20 minutes all by myself. Unfortunately, Mt Washington become obscures by fog & clouds, but looking North was still clear enough to enjoy with a sandwich.

After that, it was down Link trail towards Crag Camp. There were some grassy areas that looked like phenomenal spots to take a nap, but I try to never stray from the trail in such a fragile environment. Crag Camp was an awesome hut that's much cheaper than the AMC huts, where you cook your own meals. Before this, I'd never heard of the RMC, a well kept secret apparently! The way down was relatively uneventful (lots of appreciating my hiking poles).

Overall, a fantastic day. 10 miles worth of hiking, but a weeks worth of sore calves! As much as I hike around my house in CT, not much can prepare you for the Whites!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The Presidentials offer some fantastic hiking along with some grueling exercise. They should sell Ben-Gay at the huts; they'd make a killing!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Muletape straps
    Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like a great way to spend the day. Really nice scenery.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    The Presidentials offer some fantastic hiking along with some grueling exercise. They should sell Ben-Gay at the huts; they'd make a killing!
    It still hurts to go downhill haha. Carrying my 3 year old to the top of Mt Major 2 days after probably contributed as well

• + New Posts