Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images

LT thru hike attempt

Well, My son and I made an attempt to thru hike the LT in VT. I have one word for our experience-MUD!
    They had 27 out of 31 days rain in June/July and trail was beat up and just insane muddy. Our second day was greeted by a lunch time T-storm, then some clear until 4pm when the sky let loose. We were going from Seth Warner shelter to Congdon shelter when caught in middle of a bad T-Storm. My 12 yr old son was beside himself, and though we were just around corner from shelter(to find out next day) we just hit the wall and could no longer move forward. I pointed out 4 trees on the side of the trail and we hung our tarps. I can tell you, Thank God for Hammocks! If we had been tenters, there would be no dry place for us and would have really had a scary night. Though EVERYTHING was wet, our hammocks and quilts were nice and dry and provided much security and comfort in this nasty storm.

Next morning, my son filled his water bottle IN THE TRAIL with clear running water. We hiked to shelter, greeted by experienced thru hikers who were just shaking their heads at the trail conditions this year. Hiked down mountain to Rt 9 and Bennington only to find a nicly damaged toe requiring a Podiatrist visit and days off trail.

We had a few more days hiking around Killington and deceided to give it another try in the future. It was an experience, the fun factor was minimal so we cut our losses with about 50 miles under our belt.

My son and I had some good bonding, he gained experience and matured a lot-quickly. My cousin who joined the BB club met up with us for a few days too.

The rig on top of the rock is my sons creation of course

Can't wait for more trail time!
    NA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It will be fun when you're telling the story later.

Bummer about the trip; I kinda know how you feel after my CT fail. Still, I'd rather be fighting a muddy trail than sitting at my desk worried about paper cuts. Plus, at least you have an excuse to go back and try again.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    You got to spend a month hiking with you son. Don't think I would view that as anything other than a success. The LT will always be there for the next go around. I was able to hike 2 miles of the AT with my dad. Have to say it was 2 of my favorite. Hoping to do a long canoe trip with him at some point, his body won't do well hiking long distances anymore. I want to get a long trip in with him before it's too late.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    btw nice Inn at the Long Trail pics. I ended up eating and drinking there on my AT thru only to stealth in the woods off the trail south of there. Then went into Rutland for a zero. Thanks for bringing back some good memories.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    great story, and like cannibal said the fun is telling it.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hey NorseAmerican,

Nice to meet you guys at Cooper Lodge (I was the guy who chatted with you about UL and hammocks for a while). Saw you later from my window at the Inn, but you were on your way out. Thanks for the hammock tips - I finished my thru hike Thursday and I really wish I'd had a hammock most nights. I love my tarptent, but a hammock would have been the ideal shelter on that trail. Also, thanks for referring me to this site. Lots of good information, and I'll be sure to research the blackbird before recklessly spending my money on a HH!

Good luck if and when you give the LT another chance. The northern half is a whole new ball of wax!

Emmett

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Hi Emmit, Great to hear from ya! Congrats on the thru completion. Glad you like the site. There are lots of great people here. Once you go to the air, there will be no coming back. Saving a pound or so just is not worth it.

As some pointed out, for me the actual best part was just being with my son for that long, and to see him grow so much in so little time. Emmit got a peak at the little bugger-he was babbling on non stop on Killington for some reason, and was cracking everyone up. I am looking forward to more backpacking and hiking with him. We will need to work on his sister to get her into the woods though
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Sorry for having to ask this, but what is the LT?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    Sorry for having to ask this, but what is the LT?
    Long Trail = Hiking Trail in Vermont
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I wouldn't look at it as a failure ... they're all adventures. Like mentioned above ... the tale will improve with age and the memories will always be fond memories when your son looks back on his trip with his dad.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast