Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook

If you had to start over, what would you choose for your first topquilt?

If you had to do it all again, knowing what you know now, where would you look for your first quilt?

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Warbonnett
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    I would have a strong preference for down, but IMO it's not as critical as the UQ. Synth top quilts generally perform very well. Otherwise here is what I'd look for:

Big foot box, i.e. vertically compliant so you can flex and move your feet around freely without feeling like your pushing against the fabric in any direction. These will often have a circle area sewn in. Having draw strings which allow you to vent the foot box is also a big feature.

Tapered designs are nice, definitely err on the side of slightly too wide vs. slightly too narrow. Nothing worse than rolling over only to feel a draft along your back.

Think it's common but worth mentioning is the ability to snap or secure the head end of the quilt around your neck, this ensures that it doesn't slip off your shoulders on a cold night.

Finally, either the interior or exterior should be a bright, highly visible color in case you ever need to signal or be visible from above. Since I don't think having a bright flashy tarp or UQ is desirable in the woods, makes most sense to have it on the inside of the TQ.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Same as i have now.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    For a TQ; I would have gotten a JRB Stealth instead of a Shenandoah, I think the head hole would be useful.

For an UQ; As great of an Idea the JRB Mount Washington 3 Convertible (MW3C) is, I would've been just as well off and it would have been cheaper to go with a regular length UQ.

The MW3C is/was (it's discontinued) a 2 piece quilt that Velcros and ties together. the larger piece is a 2/3rd s summer under quilt. and the 2nd part attaches to make it a full UQ for the winter. It's good to 10°F to 20°F by itself, but I've been down to -11°F using a pad with it. But in truth; Minnesota summer nights are just too cold for anything other than a full UQ. I would entertain offers on my MW3C UQ.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    The same: hammock gear 3-season burrow, except now they use Argon and are a bit lighter, but no I will not part with my 15 degree burrow (now the 3-season burrow). It keeps me all warmy and nice.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    My 1st was a UGQ 40* + 2 ozs, I love it, but there are times I wish I would have went with a lighter product, like http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/, not a huge price difference (if you don't mind skipping the dri-down), and about 5 ozs. lighter. But that being said I KNOW my UGQ is going to last me a long time, and I know UGQ will stand by that product and besides, I know they are great people, so maybe I'd spend the difference, maybe not. EE has a fine rep and devout customers. I'm new and have 3 quilts, of the 2 others I have the UGQ is by far the best made. The others are a WL SSUQ and a JRB Greylock 3. Each of those vendors are great Marty @ WL has answered the phone and returned my calls when I've inquired about WL products, JRB got my UQ out the next day.

I've made it a point to seek out different vendors to gain 1st hand experience to learn what's available, I haven't had the opportunity to see the EE product yet but it's weight has my attention, UGQ's quality and attention to detail makes it hard to choose another. The additional cost of dri-down from EE is their biggest short coming.
    Last edited by dirtwheels; 08-18-2014 at 19:01.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I am very happy with my first quilt, and still have it A HG Burrow. I think you can't go wrong with any of the manufacturers out there; the Jacks have great products, as do Hammock Gear and UGQ. You have to narrow your choices down by materials, price, and warranty (some offer free minor repairs for the life of the product). By supporting a cottage vendor you are keeping things made in America, too!
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    My first TQ was a JRB HRQ. No regrets
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    My first real TQ was a Golite Ultra. Its rated 20 but is more like a 30. Recently got a zero Burrow in wide. Got the zero since there wasn't so much difference between 20 and 30 Ultra. But honestly, I think if it were my first one, a 20 degree Burrow, or similar make, would be fine for most any range of temps except the most extreme. I will say that unlike some others, I think I prefer a more narrow quilt - so reg instead of wide seems better in a hammock for me.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast