Question about bridge hammock

I've decided that I really want to make a bridge style hammock. My question is, I have an eno double nest and was wondering if I could use the fabric from it? My main concern would be where the side channels are sewn if there is any foreseeable problems? Also was wondering, I am a wide chested person and this is the main reason for going to a bridge style. Is there a calculation that I can use to take my actual body width into account for the total width of the hammock? Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrego View Post
    I've decided that I really want to make a bridge style hammock. My question is, I have an eno double nest and was wondering if I could use the fabric from it? My main concern would be where the side channels are sewn if there is any foreseeable problems? Also was wondering, I am a wide chested person and this is the main reason for going to a bridge style. Is there a calculation that I can use to take my actual body width into account for the total width of the hammock? Thanks in advance.
    I'm sure you've already figured it out but it'd be a piece of cake to recycle your Eno Double Nest.... Pull out the ends unstitch it and it's just fabric.
    You won't need all of the fabric though.

I'm 99% sure you won't find a calculator for your perfect width. Width, length, length of spreaders, depth curve and fabric choice are as dynamic and diverse as gathered end hammocks. I can't think of a way to work out perfectly for you but what works for me is shoulder to shoulder 20", my spreaders are 38" fabric width at head end is 50". Works for me. Don't feel squeeze.

I've heard it been quoted before: Bridge Hammock Advice.
    See 2nd comment by Dutch.
    Gmcttr's comments will help too.

Have you seen Opie's mammoth?
    Specs: Body is 55 wide X 80 long with a 7" curve and 47" spreaders.
    Last edited by kerryandjane; 08-19-2014 at 08:42.

Great info thank you!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I think youll find 2 camps here, and plenty of people in between. Some people like a deep hammock... i.e. relatively large difference between hammock width and spreader width. Now, I say deep but that has to be put into context of a shallow hammock. This is accomplished by varying the ratio of hammock width to spreader width. Some like to use 70% (which will create a larger curve from side to side.) I prefer 80% and may even bump that up to 85%, just to see how it feels.

HOWEVER, and this is a big one... The higher you go on the ratio, the more you will be asking of the fabric. So dont skimp on quality. I think the Argon and Hyper D offerings are what is allowing me to push the ratio up.

If you are broad in the shoulders and mid region, then the higher ratio will give you less squeeze. If you are broad and heavy, just make it a double layer. I am broad and heavy, and have found that a single layer of either of the 2 fabrics produces a VERY comfortable hammock using an 80% ratio.

I made a pretty big double layer bridge. 57 inches wide by 84 inches long. 46/44 inch spreader bars. Tons of room to roll around in.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...bridge-hammock

I'm 6'2 and 185 pounds and have no shoulder squeeze. I find it a lot more comfortable than my first hammock (woot yukon double gathered end).

Russ

Awesome, thanks.

• + New Posts