Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    That looks like an awesome location - do you have more info on camping on that island? Can it be accessed without a boat, since you said it's not really an island? Are any permits or anything needed?

I've been really really wanting to hang on a beach before it starts to cool down, and that looks like a great spot to do it!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images

Lake Murray SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Can it be accessed without a boat, since you said it's not really an island?
    There is a small road that is traveled by DNR on 4 wheelers that you might be able to walk. I think that it would be a mile or two of a walk though. Dameon has walked it before, I'm sure he will chime in with more details on that.

Are any permits or anything needed?
    Nope, It's just a cool hang out spot on Lake Murray, SC. I go there all the time. It can get busy on the weekends.

Sir Gravy, the inert

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Images
    Any thoughts yet on a weekend for a swamp hang? If possible to avoid 10/3 (Coilumbia YMCA Indian Guides campout) or 10/17 (hosting daddy/daughter dance) would be greatly appreciated!

Redbank

Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post
    October sounds about right. We will post a date on the calendar on the home page. Keep an eye out for it. We might even set up a pole to have people vote on possible dates.

For sure. Keep an eye on the calendar. We will be posting our hangs there from now on.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    Redbank what is "Coilumbia YMCA Indian Guides campout"?

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Images
    Whoops! Should have been Columbia YMCA...My kids and I participate in the YMCA Trailblazers which is the older kids division of the YMCA Indian Guides / Princesses. If you've never heard of it, it is a program somewhat similar to scouting but the child and parent participate together. Younger kids group is from 5-K through 3rd grade. (or older if they want to stay!) Older kids start at 4th grade and go up for as long as they want to stay in. October 3rd is the Fall Longhouse (campout) for the younger kids at the Y camp in Lexington. We (Trailblazers) host pellet rifle shooting, basic orienteering and other activities for the younger group at their campout.
    Our (Trailblazers) group just got back from rafting on the Nantahala where I hammock camped for the first time! We have trips to Scottish games in Charleston, camping at James Island (with rockwall climbing), camping at Huntington Beach State Park, camping and participating at the Battle of Aiken and other fun stuff coming up.
    If you have kids (boys and/or girls) who would like to participate please e-mail me and we'd love to have you visit one of our meetings or outings!

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Images
    That looks like an awesome location - do you have more info on camping on that island? Can it be accessed without a boat, since you said it's not really an island? Are any permits or anything needed?

I've been really really wanting to hang on a beach before it starts to cool down, and that looks like a great spot to do it!
    Mustardman,
    DNR has a gate on the road going out onto Bundrick Point / Island. It's about 1/2 mile from the gate to the "beach" areas. You can easily walk or bicycle out there. One problem is there is no parking at the gate and they have "no parking" signs posted back up the road a little ways.I live on the road that runs into the gate and would be happy to let you park / travel from there. As Sir RiceGravy stated though, during the summer this area gets a lot of boat traffic and camping.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    Is there any public parking close to where you can go hammock camping at Lake Murray? I don't know much about Lake Murray so directions would be good also

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Dodson View Post
    Is there any public parking close to where you can go hammock camping at Lake Murray? I don't know much about Lake Murray so directions would be good also
    Not really. I think you can go to dreher island and hang there, but I've never been. The place they're at on this trip is the same place we went a couple of months ago. It's a short boat ride from one of the public landings.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    There are several tent camping sites scattered throughout the camping area at Dreher Island, designated by "T" and the number. I hung on T-15 in June. I'd do it again. Also T-1, 2, and 3 looked good.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images

SwampFox

Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    I hung on T-15 in June. I'd do it again. Also T-1, 2, and 3 looked good.
    How close are they to other sites? The last time that I was there the sites seemed a little close together. That was a long time ago. I have never hung there before.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123