Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wide & light hammock under $100

I tried out a cheap Equip Travel hammock from Walmart during a recent weekend backpacking trip and really liked sleeping in a hammock versus on the ground. I'm hooked! I would probably benefit from something a bit wider that I can sprawl out in more though. The specs of the hammock I tried are reportedly 116" x 57" and 2 lbs. I'm 6'1" and fidget a lot at night.

My budget is under $100. Looking at BIAS Weight Weenie (sounds the best so far), HammockBliss Sky Bed, and ENO DoubleNest. Is there anything else out there I should consider? I already have straps, tarp, and netting. Just need a standalone hammock; I only backpack in warmer weather.

Hennessy Expedition sounds nice but a bit small and over my budget.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Check out hammeck too, they make some good stuff. I have had my bias camper since the beginning of my addiction and love it. Some day I will diy my own but for now I am sleeping like a baby.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/no-...ers-travelers/

One pound light enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I tried out a cheap Equip Travel hammock from Walmart during a recent weekend backpacking trip and really liked sleeping in a hammock versus on the ground. I'm hooked! I would probably benefit from something a bit wider that I can sprawl out in more though. The specs of the hammock I tried are reportedly 116" x 57" and 2 lbs. I'm 6'1" and fidget a lot at night.

My budget is under $100. Looking at BIAS Weight Weenie (sounds the best so far), HammockBliss Sky Bed, and ENO DoubleNest. Is there anything else out there I should consider? I already have straps, tarp, and netting. Just need a standalone hammock; I only backpack in warmer weather.

Hennessy Expedition sounds nice but a bit small and over my budget.
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit 1.0
    Tarp
    MLD Spinn Asym
    Insulation
    JRB/HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cinema View Post
    I second this and have the 1.1 single Traveler with dynaglide whoopies and it comes in at just over 8oz.
    Last edited by slvravn; 08-19-2014 at 13:29. Reason: added wording

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The BIAS Hiker Lite is a very good value but only 55 inches wide - it's my go-to hiking hammock at 9.5 oz. However, I sleep at home in a 60" wide tablecloth hammock and really prefer the extra 5 inches of width. I'm thinking of taking the tablecloth hammock hiking 'cause it's what I'm used to at home.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Simply Light Designs offers 64" and 66" wide bodies for certain fabrics.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Hard to beat Dream Hammocks at this point. Problem is they just got slammed with an order for 14 T-Birds, pushing wait times back to 6 weeks.

Randy will build as wide as the fabric allows.

Freebird with peak bag + whoopie sling or cinch buckles suspension $75.00. Tough to beat. I went with Randy's advice and ordered a 10'L 60"W. With whoopies in 1.0 Marpat Camo=11.74 oz

I'm also well under 6' and 200#.

To be light, you have to be light
    Signature suspended

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Hammeck made in USA $40 - 90, no bug net (w bugnet $130)

http://www.hammeck.com/hammocks/breezy

Starts at $50 single layer, (or $40 on clearance) or like many other vendors you can upgrade stuff:
    10-> 11 foot add $10 (or mini pole mode is another alternative to this, or CCF pad, $9 at Walmart spreads it out)

Double layer fabric upgrade add $25

ARGON 1.6 oz fabric instead of standard ripstop nylon add $5 (to reduce weight of hammock and feels great)
    or ask for HYPERD(™) DIAMOND RIPSTOP also a great choice not available from vendor using labor mass produced by folks in SE Asia.
    I am sure those folks are very nice, I have some good friends from Laos, Vietnam, and Indonesia but having a hammock made by someone in the USA is great.

this brings total to $90

Or you could ask a vendor to sell you a blank and add the suspension etc yourself, some mass produced vendors basically do because the suspension that comes with it is junk that is best tossed in the trash. Pull out the continuous loops in end channels replace them and virtually everything, OOPs my bad I really should not be so harsh. Just my personal opinion your experience may differ.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    or ask for HYPERD(™) DIAMOND RIPSTOP also a great choice not available from vendor using labor mass produced by folks in SE Asia.
    Dream Hammock is currently the only vendor offering hammocks built from the 1.6oz HyperD fabrics.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    Quote Originally Posted by slvravn View Post
    I second this and have the 1.1 single Traveler with dynaglide whoopies and it comes in at just over 8oz.
    I third this. WB makes great hammocks and you cannot go wrong with one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast