Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Classic
    Insulation
    SuperShelter 4-Sea

Trying to warm up but luke warm to the hammock thing

I do a bit of traveling on two wheels and thought hammocks would be the way to go for space savings when packed and I do have a low back that gets unhappy from time to time. First time I tried to use it was July in southern Alberta just before I crossed into Montana. Could not find two trees close enough together at the campground I stopped at and had to motel it. So, yesterday I decided it was time to get this figured out. Alora Gorge Conservation area with my Hennessy Hammock with bottom velcro escape hatch. Got all set up using the knots shown on the Hennessy website, they work great. Should have taken my leather jacket off before I got into the hammock as I nearly dislocated my shoulder getting out of it inside the hammock. Then the temp starts to plummet, I check my phone and it is 52 degrees, I do some more yoga to get leather jacket back on. Seems there are pressure points such as left ankle, shoulder blades and low back that feel like they are being iced right through the sleeping bag. Heels got pins and needles a few times. Seems legs and feet fall into a pouch to the side of the velcro enclosure and there is really no room to move around. I originally got a foam groundsheet for this setup but had forgotten that at home. I think it would have sorted out the areas of my body that the cold was leaching out of but I am thinking it would have made escaping out or getting into a hammock with a bottom velcro entrance very tricky. Much to learn before the next time I try this.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' - Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    WL OMW or Tadpole
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/kevlar
    Images
    Nice XR. you definitely need some insulation under. I just did my first overnight @ 5000+ ft and it was great, but I had the benefit of a TQ/UQ setup. Keep at it, it was the best sleep I had in a long time..K

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Check out our good friend Shug about insulation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0 And welcome!
    Last edited by lilricky; 08-19-2014 at 16:31.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I sometimes use a hammock when motorcycle traveling. If I plan my trip, I call ahead & check on tree availability. I am working on a stand for bike travel but haven't had time to finish it this summer with so many other projects going on. I have a couple pictures of it in my gallery.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    Lakota,

I found with my Hennessy that hanging it at 30 degrees as opposed to the almost flat hang you have in the picture made all the difference in the world in comfort of the lay. Also are you lying off center on the diagonal?

Check out this: http://theultimatehang.com/2012/06/t...mmock-camping/
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Give it some time, preferably close to home. Definitely change the suspension angle to 30°. You need a pad or under quilt in a hammock to keep the wind chill off your backside (something you don't worry about in a tent on the ground).
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Classic
    Insulation
    SuperShelter 4-Sea
    Thanks for all the replies and tips. 30° instead of flat suspension, I will try that. I did lie angled as much as I could, my left ankle was even bent hard against the side of the hammock. I have to admit last night was a fail, I spent more time awake and uncomfortable/cold, than sleeping and my low back is a little jinxed at moment. Is the Hennessy "SuperShelter Insulation System for Classic Models" good enough for bottom insulation with a pad inside hammock?

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    There will be more yoga involved in using a pad with the bottom entry Hennessey. I cut my large pad from Gossamer Gear into a torso shape and situated it on the diagonal, which helped. Then I found a used Jacks R Better Nest, which is made specifically for the bottom entry, but which is also usable on other gathered end hammocks.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Stick with it and dont be afraid to move around in the hammock and find the sweet spot. When I first started out it took a few nights in my hammock to get it
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Does your hammock have a footbox? That's made a big difference in comfort to me.

Since I'm still relatively new to all this as well, I won't lie – it sometimes takes me 5+ tries to get the angles right, and to get the head side just a little bit lower in relation to the foot side (this helps you lie more flat). This weekend for the first time I got my Warbonnet Blackbird XLC to have a bit of slack in the ridgeline which seems to be indicative that I had everything tuned in just fine and slept like a baby because of it. Just keep trying and you'll get it right.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast