Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks

Is a 0 degree HG Burro too much

It it too much in the high 50s? I would like a TQ that I can use for 3 seasons +. I was thinking of getting the 20 degree (figuring it will be good down to at least 20 and workable when it's in the 50s) but don't want to regret not having the greater range...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    When a TQ is that light, you can control the heat you get from it by how tight you wrap it around your body. So a 0F won't be stifling in even the hottest temperatures. (At least that's my experience from using a 0F zpacks in Toronto in the summer, so take what you will from it).
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 08-20-2014 at 13:15.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Oooh you're making me sweat! Just this morning I woke up really warm in my bedroom around 2am, so I went down into the basement to finish up my sleep. My 40° Burrow in a 63° basement was too much. And I wasn't even inside it. I woke up to find my TQ on the floor.

Personally, any temp above 50° is when I just want a light cover simply to have something there for comfort, not necessarily to keep me warm.

I think a 20° Burrow would be too warm, but possible if you're going for a do-it-all quilt.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I find that top quilts need to match the actual temperature reasonably close. Whereas under quilts can be super thick but can be loosened, thereby venting the excess heat. Gravity is helping you adjust the under quilt's temperature. That same gravity is preventing much adjustment of the top quilt. Either it's on you or its not.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Depends on you. I can use my 0* Burrow up to the low 70's and I don't get too hot. If I do, I just kick it off. My oldest son is just like me - the 0* Burrow is fine for him in warmer temps. However, my youngest son goes crazy in warmer temps and can't stand the 0* or the 20* Burrow - he wants the 40* Burrow.

If you can only afford one TQ, then the 20* Burrow is probably the best bet. You can always supplement it with a fleece liner or something.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Depends on you. I can use my 0* Burrow up to the low 70's and I don't get too hot. If I do, I just kick it off. My oldest son is just like me - the 0* Burrow is fine for him in warmer temps. However, my youngest son goes crazy in warmer temps and can't stand the 0* or the 20* Burrow - he wants the 40* Burrow.

If you can only afford one TQ, then the 20* Burrow is probably the best bet. You can always supplement it with a fleece liner or something.
    With a 0˚ UQ, and foot pad inside the TQ, and some extra clothing, I've taken my 20˚ burrow down to 0˚. I don't know that I'd want to try to take a 0˚ up to higher temps though.

I agree with SS - if you want one for 3 season +, I'd go with a 20˚.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Very interesting replies here. I find that even if a pile of down product is simply sitting next to me touching my body, I feel heat radiating from it almost immediately. That's the whole point of me going from a sleeping bag to a TQ, so I can at least get it out of the way instead of piled on top or next to me.

The nice thing about top quilts is they're SO easy to supplement. If you have a down jacket with you, wad it up on your torso for plenty more warmth.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    My TQ is rated down to 5F and I use it about 90% of the time. If I get hot I just kick it off. If over night temps are not going below 70-75F with high humidity (we have that over VA summers) then I will just toss it over my ridge line for the night and pull it down only if I need it. I do have a PLTQ that I can use but find I rarely do any more.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    At harolds this past weekend i had a 20* burrow, woke up all sweaty, but after I took my shirt off I was fine. I agree that if you need to get one, get the 20* one, its what I did.
    My backside was a bit cold because I can't figure how to use the 40* 3/4 uq properly. I'll just stick to using my incubator unless its 70+
    I'd rather be hanging.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    For me I have a very warm TQ (DIY), I sleep cold, really cold, I have a warm TQ, if I should get too warm, I just hang a foot or leg out of the TQ. It works very well for me. I live in an area where the temperatures can fluctuate greatly. I have too much stuff, I find when I take my lighter gear I used in the South, I almost always get cold, I would rather not feel cold, and I sure do not want to get caught if the weather turns ugly, I have a great deal of respect for what I might get into. Nope, I will fool around with hanging a body part out from under a quilt rather than just carry a lighter TQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast