Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you set up the hammock?

I just received it but there is no instructions (aside from the one page print out, which is not helpful to a beginner) and or any carbinger as is always shown in the pictures. Could someone post a "step by step" instruction on how set this hammock up? I need to use it tomorrow but have no clue how to set it up, take it down, or if i even have all the parts (e.g. carbinger).

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    What kind of hammock? what kind of suspension do you have ropes or straps?
    There are several different ways... but all involve wrapping the tree with a strap and tying hammock to strap. Do the same thing to the other tree, you need two trees, roughly 15-18 feet apart.
    Just take a look at all the pictures in the "gallery". There are lots of different examples to pick from. Talk with the vendor where you purchased your hammock, they may have forgotten to put the carabiners in the package. Even the best hammock guys forget some things once in a while.
    You can skip the carabiner also and just tie a loop on the end of the strap, then feed the strap around tree and through the loop.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well it's in the Warbonnet forum, so I think we can assume it's a Blackbird. I'm going to assume you ordered the webbing option as well. You will need two biners if that is the case.

Find a couple of trees (or whatever) that are approx. 15' apart. Take the black webbing with a loop on the end (that's where you attach the biner) and wrap around one tree, then clip the biner back onto the webbing to form a loop around the tree. Do the same thing on the other end of the hammock. Using the end of webbing with no biner, adjust the tension of the webbing (by adding or removing slack with the rings; just like a motorcycle helmet) and center the hammock between the trees.

Take the elastic line (shockcord; probably still white) and find the end with a loop. This loop is what you attach to your ground stakes (you need 2 stakes). There should also be a cordlock on the shockcord. The cordlock should be on the opposite side of the little metal ring from the end with a loop. The cordlock acts as a stopper for the line and can be used to adjust the tension of the tie-outs. Fix both tie-outs to their stakes and you're set.

DO NOT forget to tie a slipknot in the webbing right behind the rings that attach to the hammock via small diameter cord. The knot should be on the tree side of the rings. Most prefer their feet a few inches higher than the head end of the hammock.

Those are the basics. The rest is adjustment and play. Find what feels best and have fun!
    Trust nobody!

yeah it is the webbing suspension.

"DO NOT forget to tie a slipknot in the webbing right behind the rings that attach to the hammock via small diameter cord. The knot should be on the tree side of the rings. Most prefer their feet a few inches higher than the head end of the hammock."

Could you elbaborate on that?

p.s. what kind of biner does it need to be? Does it have to be from a rock climbing store, or can it be your average canadian tire one? Or there a specific type

would a "quick link" work instead of a biner? they range from 1-3 inches and they are just an oval with a spinning park that locks it together. cheap and strong as hell

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Check out Grizz's excellent video on webbing based suspension systems. Should give you a really good idea on how to set up your hammock.

A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension, Part I : webbing
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

that video helps. I still don't understand the ""DO NOT forget to tie a slipknot in the webbing right behind the rings that attach to the hammock via small diameter cord. The knot should be on the tree side of the rings. Most prefer their feet a few inches higher than the head end of the hammock.""

i ended up buying the aforementioned quicklink because they were much stronger than the biners. Will these do?

example:
    http://www.allproducts.com/metal/kin...411151130.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast