Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas

Swapping HH suspension rope

I know this May be a bit soon as I only have one hang in my explorer deluxe zip but I not a big fan of the long rope suspension. I really like the idea of the short amsteel loop with the rappel rings and webbing. I watched a video on how to change out the suspension rope and it looks real easy to do. I did a search on DIY gear supply and it says the breaking strength of amsteel is 2400lbs. That's crazy for such a small cord. I am 265lbs so I am guessing it will work. I am new to this so I need to know the advantages or disadvantages of doing this and with my weight and such a small cord could it damage the hammock or other gear some how. Right now I am using tree huggers with a caribiner and descending rinds and running the rope through the rings. I just want to drop some bulk and weight while speeding up setup and takedown
    Last edited by Bstomper; 08-23-2014 at 11:29.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Webbing
    I would say to hang AT LEAST 5 more times before making any changes. The more you hang the more you know what you want. I made the swap too fast and ended up changing the suspension 3 times until I got what was right for me.

One thing to consider is how you are going to hang your tarp after you change the suspension.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas
    Yeah it may be a bit premature. I am going to get a hex tarp and hang the fly separate. That way I can do what I want with it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Webbing
    Check out rei.com. They have a sale right now. You may even consider the UST tube tarp if you don't want to spend quite as much.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Variable
    I swapped mine out to whoopies. One caveat, your minimum distance between trees must increase when using whoopies, as opposed to the stock lines. The bury in the whoopie is fairly long, and that portion is of course unusable for hooking anything to.

That said, I prefer the whoopies. I like buckles or rings too. I ordered my WBRR with buckles. They're not as light as whoopies, but even as fast as it is to set my suspension up with whoopies, it's even faster with buckles. For me anyway. That's the beauty of it though, if you don't like it, change it. It's easy. And fun... a big part of my enjoyment is setting my stuff up a little bit different every time.

Go have fun.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas
    Today I modified the suspension line on my HH Explorer. I like the simplicity of the webbing and rings and not having all that rope attached to the hammock. I left the stock rope on and just tied a figure 8 in it as close to the original bowline as I could and installed a couple aluminum desending rings. I haven't cut the rope yet untill I use it a few times to see if this is what I want but I realy like it so far and its a bit more compact that the stock set up. I have some longer webbing on order because the stuff I have now may be too short. Hanging the tarp is the exact same as stock except it is attached to the webbing and works just as good.

Last edited by Bstomper; 09-04-2014 at 21:28.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralite Asym Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopie
    I swapped mine for a whoopie, soft shackle and tree strap set up. I ditched all the rings and biners I had. I plan to hang the tarp separately. I posted it already but goinggear.com has the hex fly for just over $50. Use coupon code ggcpf10 for 10% off. Shipping is free. Additionally REI has snake skins on sale for $15.00.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas
    I thought about the whoopies but I realy like the way it is now, maybe in the future, who knows. I plan on getting a hex fly also and hanging it seperate to but for now I will have to do with the stock tarp. I checked out the tarp and it says it is on back order. With the coupon code the price came to $72. I was surprised that shipping to Canada was only $11. I have snake skins on there already. If you look closely you can see them to the left in the picture.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by Bstomper View Post

Off topic, but is that in your garage? I'm drooling over your cutoff saw. I'd love to have one in my workspace. Is that a plasma cutter between the saw and welder? You've got a nice setup there!

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.... I put whoopies on my Hennessy. Larks head through the fixed eye. As soon as I have time to make some continuous loops, I'm going to put those on to make swapping suspensions a bit quicker.
    Some bands I like... Rival Sons - More Rival Sons - The Sword

PIF Moderator
    Hammock
    HH Expedition & HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    I like it!