Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    So far, Mara 70 is all I've used for straps, hammock, nets, quilts and tarps. I have some heavier stuff on the way to play around with on straps. Mara 70 is probably overkill for quilts, but I'm too lazy to try to keep track of what thread is on what bobbin. Although, I guess I could have a different machine for each thread type...

Although I still can't keep all the different ways of classifying thread straight, this has helped me the most. The numbers after Gutermann thread is an in house system where larger number is smaller diameter and smaller number is larger diameter.

One thing to keep in mind with the spool size. Thread does have a shelf life, don't ask me what the exact number is though. So, if you used 500m a year, which is a ton of DIY, and had a 7000m spool of Mara 70. It would take you 14 years to use it. Guesstimating, 500m would be about 12 12' hex tarps.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    One thing to keep in mind with the spool size. Thread does have a shelf life, don't ask me what the exact number is though. So, if you used 500m a year, which is a ton of DIY, and had a 7000m spool of Mara 70. It would take you 14 years to use it. Guesstimating, 500m would be about 12 12' hex tarps.
    The shelf life of thread has a multitude of factors. Temperature of storage, amount of light, humidity,and I am sure other things all impact how long thread will last. That's why I suggest you avoid thread from the discount and big box stores. Who knows how long those spools have sat in a warefhouse under deplorable conditions. Fabric shops rely on customer satisfaction and having rotting thread hanging around is not going to do anything for that all important metric.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    since I started diy'ing, I have gone through 6 spools of thread from diygear. I have enought material for a few more hammock and another bugnet. I also have enough sil to make a tarp or put doors on my 2 current tarps. I have 12 stuff sacks to make for the hammocks I gave away to my scouts leaders. I only have 1.5 spools left. I also plan on continuing to make gear if someone should need something. I also want to get a charitable company off the ground, that sells gear to buy material to give gear away to scouts and inner city kids.

I am not saying this will all happen tomorrow, but at some point I will want to get a larger spool. not only for convenience, but also for cost. The more I can buy at once the more I save the more gear I can make. I would hope that I could find the thread from a respectable place like diy or dutch. where does our vendors get theirs from, surely BIAS is not buying 1 spool at a time at diygear? or anyone else for that matter.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images

The real problem isn't the cost of thread, but rather . . .

Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    since I started diy'ing, I have gone through 6 spools of thread from diygear. I have enought material for a few more hammock and another bugnet. I also have enough sil to make a tarp or put doors on my 2 current tarps. I have 12 stuff sacks to make for the hammocks I gave away to my scouts leaders. I only have 1.5 spools left. I also plan on continuing to make gear if someone should need something. I also want to get a charitable company off the ground, that sells gear to buy material to give gear away to scouts and inner city kids.

I am not saying this will all happen tomorrow, but at some point I will want to get a larger spool. not only for convenience, but also for cost. The more I can buy at once the more I save the more gear I can make. I would hope that I could find the thread from a respectable place like diy or dutch. where does our vendors get theirs from, surely BIAS is not buying 1 spool at a time at diygear? or anyone else for that matter.
    I'm probably a few dozen projects behind you. I've started my 3rd roll of tera 60 after 3 gathered end ripstop hammocks, 3 gathered end tablecloth hammocks, two double layer bridge hammocks, 4 bug nets, an underquilt, a dozen or more tree straps, etc.

My Tera 60 spools behave just fine top feed when sewing, but I can't fill a bobbin with the spool sitting on my Viking side feed or top feed. The spool goes on the table left of the Viking and top feeds to the bobbin with my finger guiding thread.

Really, the problem isn't the cost of thread, but rather that my bobbin holds so little thread. In the 21st century, I have to fill my bobbin 5- 10 times for each spool of 600 meters? Aieeee!

That said, it seems Gutermann sells direct: see this link. 1,800 or 6,000 meters. Click on the "B2B" tab. I'm not registered and don't know the prices. I was also curious about sources for the big spool.

Cheers
    Jeff
    Last edited by kayak4water; 08-26-2014 at 01:02. Reason: 2nd paragraph syntax

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    At $2.21 a spool get 10 at a time. Flat rate shipping <$5.00 ... http://www.wawak.com/products/produc...0-765-yds-000/

The 7000m spools I've found are ~$31.50 and up.

Google is your friend when looking for sources and pricing.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I also have some thread questions. I see Gutermann threads with Tex designations (30, 40, 50, 70). I understand this to represent the mass (in grams/1000 meters). I also see threads with other designations such as B46, B69, B92, B135, B210, P69, P92. I think the P indicates polyester while the B indicates bonded nylon, but what do the numbers represent? Are they also Tex measurements or something else?

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post

That puts things in a different light. You could talk to Cleaner's Supply. They have Mara 100 in large spools, which would probably be good for quilts. They don't have large spools of Mara 70 listed, but they do have all 700 colors. So, it sounds like they do a lot of business with Gutermann and might be able to get you what you want if the direct route kayak4water mentioned doesn't work.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    I also have some thread questions. I see Gutermann threads with Tex designations (30, 40, 50, 70). I understand this to represent the mass (in grams/1000 meters). I also see threads with other designations such as B46, B69, B92, B135, B210, P69, P92. I think the P indicates polyester while the B indicates bonded nylon, but what do the numbers represent? Are they also Tex measurements or something else?
    I'm not sure if those are a variation on the the commercial sizing, see my link in post 11 if you're not sure what that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    Look at the chart here:
    http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...Fehj7AodnlIATQ

The Tex number and us thread designations are close.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I'm not sure if those are a variation on the the commercial sizing, see my link in post 11 if you're not sure what that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
    Look at the chart here:
    http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...Fehj7AodnlIATQ

The Tex number and us thread designations are close.
    Those were both very useful links. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12