Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just bought 4 6x6's to take on something like your project this weekend. I'd rather have it very strong then something break and land on my head. Good luck with your posts!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I would use 4x6 minimum if it will be used often. Put the 6" side inline with hammock.

4x4 will warp fast and not as strong as you would think.
    I agree with the 4x6 dimension.

Plus, you might want to angle the post 60 degrees away from the tree. There is no need for concrete. Just tamp the backfill little at a time with a pinch point bar. Moisture will wick away from the wood with just dirt around it while concrete will trap water.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Looks like I'll be going back to the drawing board/lumber yard! Thanks for posting, cbsinnett.

Hammock
    Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Im going to check with local power company they are around the corn from me about old retired poles and see what i can come up with for cheap.
    like the angle back part but each post will be having at lese 2 hammocks off of it at 90 deg angles from each other. and maybe more depending on the post i can get.
    figuring 4' in ground and 6' plus out of ground. if a few feet higher and with supervision from me i would let my son and his best friend who is also a scout and like a nother son to my family bunk thier hammocks as long as NO horse play and are safe doing it.
    also going to check with some fencing companys and see what they carry for corner post also.
    I have alot of ideas and seems to be only limited by my wallet.
    keep the ideas coming this is an ever evolving project.
    thanks to all

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsinnett View Post
    Im going to check with local power company they are around the corn from me about old retired poles and see what i can come up with for cheap.
    like the angle back part but each post will be having at lese 2 hammocks off of it at 90 deg angles from each other. and maybe more depending on the post i can get.
    figuring 4' in ground and 6' plus out of ground. if a few feet higher and with supervision from me i would let my son and his best friend who is also a scout and like a nother son to my family bunk thier hammocks as long as NO horse play and are safe doing it.
    also going to check with some fencing companys and see what they carry for corner post also.
    I have alot of ideas and seems to be only limited by my wallet.
    keep the ideas coming this is an ever evolving project.
    thanks to all
    Just split the difference between the trees on the attack angle and you should be okay, especially if you use a larger round pole -- good idea.

Post pictures when you get through!
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    Not sure how much you're attached to using timbers but I used 2" x 10' galvanized water pipe. I dug 36" footings and filled with concrete and stuck a capped 2 1/2" x 2' piece of pvc into the wet concrete. The pvc acts as a sleeve for the water pipe to fit into and when the pipe is slid into he sleeve it leaves 8' above the ground. That way you can remove the pipes when not in use which for me was a handy way of doing it..
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Quote Originally Posted by cbsinnett View Post
    yes sorry meant to say would have concrete around post 4 foot deep too.
    not so much worried about pulling out of ground but shearing off post at the point it comes out of concrete.
    don't have the real world numbers like an engineer would but from my experience of building homes I think I will be just fine.
    plus thought if needed could put guy lines out off back of post if I start to see any sign of problems.
    Unless it is a very bad post to begin with, you will never shear off a 6x6 at the ground line.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spurr View Post
    Not sure how much you're attached to using timbers but I used 2" x 10' galvanized water pipe. I dug 36" footings and filled with concrete and stuck a capped 2 1/2" x 2' piece of pvc into the wet concrete. The pvc acts as a sleeve for the water pipe to fit into and when the pipe is slid into he sleeve it leaves 8' above the ground. That way you can remove the pipes when not in use which for me was a handy way of doing it..
    Sounds good to me Spurr! This is something I thought of a long time ago but never tried. I remember seeing this when I was a kid - my friend had a tetherball pole which could be removed for mowing the lawn or just getting it out of the way. I think they even had a cap to put over it (for aesthetics? to keep from filling up with water?)

Anyway, I'm surprised this isn't the most common way to acheive a no-tree hang! I would think all of the treeless hang threads would mention this a lot, but I never see it! With a little quikrete and rock-hard clay here in Indiana, I don't see this budging at all.

2" pipe is easy to handle, store standing up in a garage corner, on wall or just kicked under some shelving.

Maybe people think a metal pipe is uglier than wood...if so you could paint it green like many hammock stands. Seems like the best option.

What am I missing?

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spurr View Post
    I actually love this idea! Pretty ingenious and easy to manage when it's time to mow or when you just want to stow it all away. Don't wanna make anyone think I'm a crazy hammock guy or anything

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I set 2 4x4's 16' apart and spanned the tops of the posts, about 8' above ground, with 2x6x16'. Its been out there for about 5 years now and not a single issue.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast