Dutchware netted
    Tarp
    Ghill Gorilla 12
    Insulation
    stratus insul.pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Somewhat new to hammocks.. Question.

So, do i need a Pad? and/or Underquilt? I have an eno junglenest.

i was looking at ENO - Ember Underquilt (about 180.00) , I know its more of a 3 season, how/what could i do to make this a 4 season if needed?

just trying to see if i can get by withOut a pad and just the underquilt?

also, recently found a really cool site , im sure you all know about http://www.whoopieslings.com/

one of the things they sell is a Adjustable Structural Ridge Line, can someone explain to me why I would want this? or how it would help me in my ENO JungleNest?

so,

Pad? why and with/or without Underquilt?

Adjustable Ridge Line (woopieslings.com) please explain, how helpful would this be?

Thanks for any help/guidance, sorry if these have been answered, im still kind of new to the hammock camping, but so far i love sleeping in one! and I have tossed my tent. just hope i can always
    find trees.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You'll definitely need something, especially for colder months. To go 4 season, you'll have to do some experimentation to figure out how to complement your underquilt (like the Ember) with something else; there are a few approaches. Certainly putting other clothes, etc.. in there to supplement is one way, but you're probably going to have to find some way to supplement - perhaps with a cheap WalMart pad.

Noting that you're from the South, that may be enough to deal with the winter that you expect to see. Best bet is to experiment somewhere that allows you to bail out if it gets too cold.

As for the SRL - this is set up so that you have a consistent hang no matter the distance between trees, as it keeps the ends of your hammock at the same position from each other. Many of the camping hammock setups, like HH and WB, include it by default because they make the setup process much simpler and give for a more consistent lay.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I can recommend a couple of things for you.

First off go check out http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/ Derek does a good job of quickly getting one up to speed on the hammock basics.

Next check out Shug's video's on You Tube. You will learn a bunch and he will keep you laughing all the way through it. You can start here and work your way through his entire channel. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...752777861C2AA8

Now to a couple of quick answers:

Yes you will need a pad or underquilt. You need bottom insulation of some sort but before you buy anything, read these forum, check out Shug's videos, and if possible attend a group hang. You will save yourself a lot of $ if you do.

SRL (structure ridge line) answer is no, you don't NEED one but you might want one. The ridgeline will go from one end of your hammock to the other and with that you can set and keep your hang consistent no matter how far about/close your trees are. It makes set up a breeze. Now do you need one that is adjustable...nope. You can do it with any cord that will support your weight and not stretch but having adjustments available make it easy to tweek and get right. I use an adjustable SRL to find the right spot then replace the adjustable one with non adjustable one.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A pad and sleeping bag work just fine feller. UQs can wait. Get your hang dailed in and find that sweet spoy. An adjustable ridgeline may help with that plus you have a place to hang stuff....http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    Carry forth and enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware netted
    Tarp
    Ghill Gorilla 12
    Insulation
    stratus insul.pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    WOW, thanks, great info. will spend the afternoon going thru the videos and stuff.

again, thanks. I may invest in the underquilt. and just use the sleeping bag as a top quilt. for now. trying to make sure my wife will be comfortable in OCT for camping, she is kind of not happy but im wanting to get her 100%
    on board. i have been about 8 times while out on my Jeep 4x4 rock crawling outings, and love it.

im also looking at the tree-less stands. the one with 2 poles and the anchor's hope to have one built, to pack with me incase i dont have trees around.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    I like the Dave Canterbury (youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihyNZHk-jL4 set up as a beginning cheap option (for cold weather). Using a pad or some kind (in my case a Gold's gym mat from wal-mart) with some reflectix (bubble-wrap mylar for insulation and reflecting heat). Some people say this leads to condensation and that it is outdated but I still think it is a decent starting point. Considering you live in GA you definitely do not need as much insulation as someone like me (Michigan). You may just need a decent pad or two like Shug suggested.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I agree with Papal Rage. It is pretty easy to get by with just a pad in GA. However if you have the $$$ for an UQ, I highly recommend it, as it is just less hassle than a sleeping pad. If you are looking for a tree-less stand for 4X4ing that is relatively portable, I have a Bliss Hammocks BHS-416 10-Feet Steel Hammock Stand. It works pretty well if you have the room to carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Papal Rage View Post
    I like the Dave Canterbury (youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihyNZHk-jL4 set up as a beginning cheap option (for cold weather). Using a pad or some kind (in my case a Gold's gym mat from wal-mart) with some reflectix (bubble-wrap mylar for insulation and reflecting heat). Some people say this leads to condensation and that it is outdated but I still think it is a decent starting point. Considering you live in GA you definitely do not need as much insulation as someone like me (Michigan). You may just need a decent pad or two like Shug suggested.
    I love his videos. Very simple cheap solutions to survival in the outdoors.

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    Shugs videos are a great help. I bite the bullet and went with an under quilt from Hammock Gear I purchased here that was for sale and could not be happier. Light and very warm. If you can afford it then go for it.

Hammock
    Dutchware netted
    Tarp
    Ghill Gorilla 12
    Insulation
    stratus insul.pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks all,

Im learning alot about the fixed ridge line, i have used my hammock like 8 camping trips, never used a ridge line to keep my hammock at a set curve? cant wait till i get mine in from Woopieslings.com and get my gear set for my trip on the 5th of sept. looking forward to having a new eno junglenest with some new straps, new woopies, new ridgeline, underquilt, .. i have the eno pro fly XL tarp, my wife will be using the reg. eno pro fly tarp. they do have
    some nice adjustable tab things, which make things easy.

still learning, lots of videos to watch, and once i get it all setup im sure i will spend a few ours in my garage setting up, taking down till i feel comfortable with everything.

kind of like a kid on xmas. i always get excited just before i go camping/jeeping

on a side note, i did quickly put the new eno junglenest up outside to give it a feel, its very nice, i had been using the eno double, which is nice but seems a bit big. i like the bug net built in, and its got some nice pockets
    inside for stuff.. i dont see many videos on it yet, hope to see more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast