Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beginner need help :D

Hello

I am completely new to hammock life, and I have a few basic questions that I would like to hear your opinion on.

I live in Denmark where temp. is around the 50 to 60 F at this time of year.

I'm a heavy man with a weight of 290LB to 310LB (when I train very much)

I have a height of 5.9 feet.

And so my big question is what hammock would be good for me?

I want one with built-in mosquito nets and where I can get comfortable in

Thank you for your time and help.

The Gr8 Dane

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Woopie

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    Hey, Jimbo. Could you give us a price range (what you are looking to pay vs what you are willing to pay)? I am not familiar with any of the European hammock sellers so I cannot help you on that end.

As for weight, if I were you I would look for one that has a 400lb weight capacity (always better to be safe than sorry). I weigh about 160-170 and intentionally bought a 250lb capacity hammock.

My 325 lb friend (in USA) bought a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro (this runs about $63-80 and does have an integrated bug netting). He likes it. But he has shorter legs than I (6 foot tall and skinny). If you have the money and if Warbonnet ships to internationally (for $200 plus shipping) get the Warbonnet Blackbird xlc double layered 1.7. Plus you can order the XLC with a winter cover (an extra $65 and has to be specially fit to your hammock thus you cannot buy one and then try to order one at a later date).

Since you are dealing with colder weather and because of the upgrades, I think the XLC is your best option, IMO. Other people may recommend other companies or hammocks, I just cannot see you going wrong with this one if you can afford it.

Thx for the speedy reply

Sure i do not wana pay 400 $ for a hammock but i thing my range is about 200 - 250 $ for the hammock alone.

I have alot of gear that i use when i sleep in a tant or bivi, so i only need the hammock.

I have been looking at Hannessy explorer deluxe asym zip but it is close to my weight with the "Weight Limit: 300 lb" and i do not want to be afraid to sleep in it.

I will explore and see what i can find on the WB hammock.

I also just wanted to ask if there was someone who had some good advice.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may want to look here as well.......http://ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/article...d%3D13.-001%26
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Www.ddhammocks.com is a popular vendor in Europe but their Jungle hammock is only rated for 125 kg so you might want to email or talk to them on the phone and see if they can semi custom make one with double layers of thicker material. This will greatly increase your comfort. There are several other vendors in Europe as well.
    Here in USA dream hammocks can make one to provide you with ideal comfort. Their website has a good chart to help get you started. My advice is buy one more for comfort, not bare minimum strength unless long distance backpacking is all you do.

Edit: just watched video of XL hammock by UK Hammocks that Shug linked. That looks great! At the high end of price range $250 US D or £150. But comes with several extras and very thick fabric. So contact them and ask about weight rating and shipping cost etc.
    Let HF people know what works for you, how you like it. Do a search on these brands, others on HF probably own them and have opinions. Use Bing or Google etc to search.

"Tord Hoppe" of Sweden posted some great YT videos and a HF review of the Woodsman X DL from UK Hammocks about a year ago. There are other HF threads as well. Mat at UK Hammocks should be able to work with you to make one to suit your needs. I agree with his switch to webbing straps from whoopie slings. Personally I only depend on dyneema cord when I need to go ultra light, i.e. for long distance backpacking.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-25-2014 at 16:12. Reason: edit: UKhammocks

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have the HH Explorer Delux & the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro. I'm 5'11" & 250lb. They both have +/-. The HHED comes with a rain fly & is a good quality hammock rated for 300. The weight rating has a generous safety factor calculated in it for their insurance purposes. I did not like the fly that came with it so I ordered the Hex Fly & like it a lot better.

The GTSBP has a 400 lb rating. It is more roomier & softer material than the HH. It does not come with a fly. I like the ridgeline on the HH. I did not like the way to hang the netting on the SBP so I installed a ridgeline on it. This leaves excess netting that I also don't like.

If you have a larger ground cloth from your tent, it con be used for a rain fly. With the equipment you have my reccomendation would be the GTSBP then modify to your personal liking as you learn more from the forum.

Robert

I would second Shug on UKhammocks - I think the Woodsman X hammocks look pretty good. I have no idea if the shipping and exchange rate costs would be worth paying in £ though, or if a US hammock might ultimately be cheaper.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    www.hammeck.com is a small vendor in the USA that can semi-custom make you a double layer integrated bug netted hammock for about $200 - $220 US Dollars not including shipping. This is typically rated up to 350 lbs depending on the fabric selected. However, like most smaller "cottage" vendors they most likely will be happy to discuss heavier duty fabrics that will provide more comfort for you at a small additional cost.

Hammock
    WBBB / WBRR
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps / WB
    Images
    I have a WBBB XLC, and the RR. I would recommend both of them, to almost anyone, but for someone with your dimensions I would do the BB XLC. I am 6 feet and ~200lbs and it is easily long enough for me. I also have pretty wide shoulders and it doesn't pinch at all, in fact I can see having a lot of room to grow. The RR pinches my shoulders when I sleep on my back (of course it's no problem on my side). Also, I can say that of the 3 hammocks I own, the BB XLC is my favorite, and the most unique with the cut and gather of the material. The weight rating is 400lbs of you get the double, and I can tell you that my girlfriend (140 lbs and myself 200lbs) have both been in it together, and I didn't feel at all unsafe as far as weight goes... I was a little concerned we might flip out of it at the time, but we were being quite active in the hammock as well...

This one has a built in bug net that can be removed and an optional winter cover (which I have also) that will raise the temp inside the hammock ~15° F. It also lays totally flat if you hang it right due to the addition of some extra fabric to create a foot box. Some people have said that the bug netting is too close to your feet, or that they are concerned with the new "XLC" model that they would put their foot through the bug net, but as someone who owns one I can say that you have just as much of a chance of putting your foot through the bug net in the foot box as you would putting it through near your head, or above the ridge line. Basically, you would have to be doing somersaults in the hammock with the net zipped to make this happen.

Anyway, that's my 2¢. I know it's a long way to ship, but I would still recommend these guys to anyone, great people too and if you ever had a problem they would bend over backward to fix it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast