Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Check these out.
    http://hennessyhammock.com/articles/hh_as_a_tent/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw87xQWBv-4

Just remember you should be able to do this with most hammock setups and you can use branches if you do not have trekking poles.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik83 View Post
    what i wanne be able to do is something like this if i dont find a good sleeping spot.

Attachment 92133

In many parts of Scandinavia wilderness camping is not allowed and there are many backpackers so police watch out and i probably have to go to official camping places sometimes. In other parts there are, from 3 sides closed, free to use, wooden huts. They offer good weather protection, but no mosquito protection, so i just wanne use the mesh inside.
    the hammocks with sewn in bugnets can do that as well. even if it hasnt been designed that way. if you unhook the hammock from the trees and put it on the floor (on top of something as to not ruin the material) you can just unzip and climb in. I am sure, like the other member posted above, you can google this being done. Hennessey hammocks may even provide a tutorial on how it can be done with there hammock. the only problem you may find would be keeping the net off you. I am sure simple solutions can solve that depending on the hammock. many of the vendors will sew there hammock however you would like. If you feel the need or have to go to the ground they may even be able to provide incite into how best to do it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    the hammocks with sewn in bugnets can do that as well. even if it hasnt been designed that way. if you unhook the hammock from the trees and put it on the floor (on top of something as to not ruin the material) you can just unzip and climb in. I am sure, like the other member posted above, you can google this being done. Hennessey hammocks may even provide a tutorial on how it can be done with there hammock. the only problem you may find would be keeping the net off you. I am sure simple solutions can solve that depending on the hammock. many of the vendors will sew there hammock however you would like. If you feel the need or have to go to the ground they may even be able to provide incite into how best to do it.
    Well if you're going to go for an integrated hammock, and use it bivy style, a double layer WBBB would be within your price range ($175).

You can easily use a standard blue tarp for your tarp, since you're not concerned about weight. I think you can get really big ones for 30$. Or you could make a polycro tarp for ~15$.

Rumour has it warbonnet has the most comfortable hang on the block.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Actually, you could go for the Woodsman X http://www.ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/cat...aram=cid%3D%26

It's sold in UK (so shipping benefits?), and has the same comfortable features as the Warbonnet. And apparently it's also a retailer for Warbonnet!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post
    I am new here, but your size and weight will be a factor in most recommendations. For most people it is a non issue, but as a large guy I know that the choices were more limited because of my size.
    Equally important is your sleeping pattern. Do you sleep on your back, side, or stomach? You may want to consider a bridge hammock if the latter.

Images
    Hi Sputnik welcome to the forum.
    All great suggestion. I'll toss my idea out there for your consideration.
    Based on the picture you posted I recommend a standard hammock with no bug net and get a standalone bugnet to go over it.
    If you have to go to ground I'd leave the hammock in you pannier and use the tarp with a continous ridgeline under the tarp.
    You can attach the bug net to the RL, adjust the tarp heigth for the bug net and you are good to go.

I don't like using a hammock on the ground because it can damage the fabric which could cause it to fail.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I agree with you "Sputnik" there are many advantages to a stand alone bugnet these are the very first types that I used when I was very young a long time ago and are still the coolest and most versatile. As mentioned before in other comments by people above www.hammeck.com makes a "brezy" non Netted hammock starting at $50 including suspension system. But some European vendors probably do as well. Email Mat at www.UKhammocks.com he may have a solution for you not on his website. Also there are many very active DIY and "MYOG" people in Germany that might be able to help you make both hammock and bugnet. Check military surplus stores for cheap bugnets that can be easily modified for use for both ground and hammock sleeping.
    Another popular European hammock vendor that shows "go to ground" option (that you do not prefer) is Www.ddhammocks.com
    I doubt they have a NON integrated or attached bugnet version of their hammocks but you could always ask.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-25-2014 at 17:14.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Just checked at www.UKhammocks.com
    Woodsman lite hammock is only rated for 90 kg and £30.50 or under $50 US Dollars (€ 38.50) approximately.
    These do not have a bugnet. My recommendation is to contact Mat or whoever at UK Hammocks ask if he can make a simple hammock for you with thicker fabric, no bugnet, and possibly swap out dyneema with webbing straps, cinch buckles, and Dutch clips. These are ONLY suggestions I never what anyone to think I am telling them what they should do. I like dyneema: Liros D-pro, and "DSM" have a very big economic presence in Europe. However, polyester webbing straps are just faster and stronger and stand up to more abuse in my experience and you said you are not concerned with ultra light.

The standard Woodsman Lite is only single layer but I am fairly sure they can make a double layer one for you. This is a simple request. Also be sure to specify that you intend to put a pad in between the layers so do NOT hem or sew it shut. I.e. leave these open near the head and foot for pad insertion. Use Google translate or whatever and be very specific. I work with engineers and research scientists from Germany and many other parts of the world and never underestimate the value of very detailed and specific communication. Grandfather was from Germany. Good luck happy bike packing.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-25-2014 at 18:03.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Welcome from another German hanger! If you find that you need some advice in German, just PM me.

I'm a hiker and cyclist as well, and I have done some cycling here in Germany, so I know what the challenges are. I did a ~750km cycle trip this July/August with hammock and tent, 12 nights on public campgrounds, and with the exception of one night, I was always able to find/get two trees to hang. Of course the spots were often far from ideal, and I had to improvise once for a very wide hang - but overall I found that campground owners/managers were quite helpful. I don't know what the situation is like in Scandinavia, though. There are a couple of forum members from Scandinavia, so I would recommend to open an thread on that issue.

I don't think that you will be able to find a hammock bug net that will work well as a bug tent, unless you DIY something. All stand-alone hammock bug nets are cut to fit the hammock shape. This means the bottom is curved and there is no flat area that you could stake out. If you want a bug net with zipper, the zipper usually is curved on the side. Handy for use with a hammock - not so handy for use on the ground. In my opinion you would get better usability with an integrated hammock. I have been thinking about this issue for some time as well, but my guess is, that a bug sock/tent will be a compromise and will have a lot of drawbacks.

You should also be aware that a no-net hammock plus net will weigh a bit more than an integrated hammock. Which would be a non-issue if you could actually use the net as a tent. But as it is, I have always taken a hammock and a lightweight tent when cycling. It's simply the better solution. At the moment I'm using a Tarptent Rainbow, which fits easily on the back of my rack and adds less than 1.5kg with all bells and whistles. Without inner liner and ground sheet (both is not needed), I could probably cut the weight down to 1kg or less. There are other sub-1kg tents that you could check out.

If you don't want to take a complete tent, you could just get a bug tent (like e.g. the RAB Bug Tent) to use with your hammock tarp. There are a couple of manufacturers who make bug tents. You'll probably need to take poles of some kind as well, though, and I'm not sure that you will save a lot of weight over a small extra tent.

Lange Rede, kurzer Sinn: I would recommend going for an integrated hammock and see if it works for you in ground mode (you'll need a ground sheet). If not, get a small lightweight tent. After all, what's 1kg more on a bike? On campsites that have a "site" policy (most German campgrounds charge you by number of tents, sometimes even size - in the US you only pay for the site and you can put up as many tents/tarps/hammocks as you like), you can set up the tent and the hammock. It's nice to have tent for the panniers

With regards to hammock models I can highly recommend the Warbonnet Blackbird. I also own a Hennessy Safari hammock which is super comfortable, but it is also huge and heavy. I don't know how comfy the smaller Hennessy models are, but you would probably want the HH Deep Jungle, which is a double layer hammock. They sell it in 2 sizes - I think 10' and 11' ("XL"). I'm still waiting for my overdue UK Hammocks order, so I cannot say how good the Woodsman hammock is. It's supposed to be very similar to the Blackbird (no shelf, though). You could also check out DD Hammocks, which are shipped from the UK (no customs). Apart from that, most of the mass produced integrated hammocks that are sold in Europe (like the Amazonas one) are probably worth what they cost - which means I would stay clear.

If you happen to pass by the Bavarian Forest, you're welcome to check out the hammocks I own to get an idea of what might work for you.

A last piece of advice: take sufficient time to test your hammock at / near home. If you find you need additional gear, you need some time to order and test. When I started to hang, I tried sleeping with a pad, too. But I quickly found that it was not very easy to keep the pad under my body, even in a double layer hammock. I also needed additional insulation at the shoulders, which added bulk and weight (I used a second, thinner Evazote pad). That's why I got an underquilt before I even started my trip. I have not been sorry for that decision.

Sorry for the long post - I hope it doesn't confuse you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12