Hammock
    Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    lots of great insite and seems the most used is the groundhog.
    we found Y alum ones at walmart that are 9" and i forget the weight but I did the math and if cut off to Hog length would be about same weight.
    my son has 8 of those for his new HH Monsoon fly. am tring to teach him that they dont have to be all 9" in the ground. He came back from camping with friends and had a couple bent and twisted up but still usable.
    I'm thinking of getting the same ones and cutting them off to about 6.5 to 7 in. and going that way, only $2 for 4 of them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip47203 View Post
    For those that just use rocks, trees etc. how long are your tarp lines? I can see that carrying extra line may be a good idea. I carry 4 ti. shepards hook style stakes (tadpole tarp) and want to get a few groundhogs as well. My lines are about 5'-6' in the back of tarp and 8' in front with shock cord to set up in porch mode with hiking poles. I guess it depends on where you hang maybe as to what you take with you. I would like to get to the UL way someday. I like to see what different people are using.
    I've only got about 5' of line on the corners for staking to the ground or a nearby limb. If I want to open up the tarp, in my little leather pouch I've got my hammock suspension, and 4 tie-out extentions. They're about 40' of line each with a tiny Dutch hook on a prusik toward end and a loop on the other.

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Thanks fallkniven, so your 4 tie-out extentions are 10' each to get the 40' or your 4 tie-outs are 40' each thus 160' total. Sorry Im a bit confused. I read it both ways. Thanks for the clarification.

Images
    Each of the 4 lines are about 40' for a total of 160'. I use the 1.25mm zline at the top of this page...
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml
    Very thin and light, yet strong and stiff, won't tangle up on you.
    I use these hooks for the extentions, the attatched tie-outs, and one side of the ridgline.
    http://dutchwaregear.com/dutch-hooks.html

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    For tying to other things besides stakes, I don't use any additional line than I would if I had stakes. In fact the same line is on my tarp from when I did use stakes. I think I put 8-ft of spyderline on each of the 4 corners (total of 32 feet). I do have 10 extra feet in my pack though, but it is used for clothesline more than anything.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Its hard to find rocks that would work where i go but there are limbs etc. to tie off on. If I didnt use stakes I'd have to use sticks.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    I have the ground hogs but usually go with shepherd hooks and trees or roots if close by..
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Stakes can add up in weight quickly, especially if you us a winter tarp, so a mix of types works well for me. Depending on conditions I will have 2-4 MSR groundhogs and some additional aluminum gutter spikes that are cut off to half length that I use for my doors and pull outs which saves an oz or two overall.

I'm a foul weather camper so I gotta have at least 2 stakes with better holding power (i.e. groundhogs) for the windward side of the tarp. I can live with stakes that have less holding power the rest of the way around. If the winds kick up and or the ground is mush wet, I'll lay a nice sized stone on a guyline to give the stake a bit of mechanical help and holding power.

Also tying door lines to a rock is a nice option so you can set the door open or closed simply by moving the rock rather than resetting stakes or disconnecting lines.

Consistently I find that I carry about 2 more of the mini stakes in my kit than I typically use, those weigh about .5 oz

David

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

When and where to use what style of stake, DIY

Quote Originally Posted by cbsinnett View Post
    we found Y alum ones at walmart that are 9" and i forget the weight but I did the math and if cut off to Hog length would be about same weight.
    my son has 8 of those for his new HH Monsoon fly. am tring to teach him that they dont have to be all 9" in the ground. He came back from camping with friends and had a couple bent and twisted up but still usable.
    I'm thinking of getting the same ones and cutting them off to about 6.5 to 7 in.
    These from WM are OK a bit of work to cut down and use a file or "Dremel" tool to make notch or hole for reflective pull cord but it could work. Basically ground hog "Y" or "V" style work well in relatively soft soil with few rocks (and you can even make your own with angle bar stock of aluminum or Titanium). But round pegs nail or Shepard's hook etc can wiggle their way through bit of soil in very rocky areas. If super soft dry sand best to wet it with buckets of water if you can but generally requires very long stakes if you go down conventionally. So other ideas include bags of sand, OR find a stick or log use cat hole trowel dig a ditch perpendicular to the guy line attach guy line, then bury the stick, i.e "dead man" anchor. Adding water to dry sand and packing it may help it to hold better once it has "set up" with time perhaps an hour. But in the morning when you are extracting stakes from hard compacted dry soil of more organic composition some water from a nearby source allowed to soak in for a few minutes will typically make extraction much easier.
    For extension cord I like Tech line (from DIYgearsupply.com similar to zline) with locked Brummel loops in each end about 4-6 feet long, these are fast and easy to girth hitch (lark's head) to loop on existing guy line. But if not ultra light any cheap Walmart reflective line or 550 cord with Bow line loop will work just fine. Often if you are not camping in heavy brush the plants or fallen logs you want to use as anchors are not very close so an extension of cord (NOT electrical extension cord) is necessary. Funny story a guy I once camped with showed up with a canoe strapped down to his minivan with electrical extension cords and bungee cords, he was wearing blue jeans and loafers for a primitive trip down a river. LOL. I do not recall but probably packed his gear in garage bags, some people do not read emails, newsletters etc very funny.

BTW WM Stakes are long because some people use them in very sandy soil where long is necessary. Cut down shorter if this is not a requirement for you and you want to make packing easier and save some grams. Camping in the same area all the time makes it easier but after a few decades gets very boring IMO.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-27-2014 at 09:39.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    4 mini msr stakes (<< click) and 2 regular (<<click)....don't necessarily use all, all the time.

I'm looking some carbon fiber/aluminum stakes also.....cut the weight of the stakes in half....
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast