Hey all--

I'm pretty new to the hammock scene and I've been experimenting with pads. I know most people prefer underquilts, but I want to see how comfortable I can get with what I already have before I spend any more money.

The first night I tried it out, I just shoved the blue CCF pad into my Grand Trunk UL. As many others here have no doubt experienced, I had a hard time keeping the pad in a position where it was keeping all of me warm. As a result I didn't sleep very well that night as I kept waking up with cold feet, or knees, or whatever was not on top of the pad at that moment.

Last night I tried a different approach. I unzipped my sleeping bag, cut the CCF pad to the shape of the inside, and zipped the bag bag up over the pad. Sleeping on top of the pad was, surprisingly, not as uncomfortable as I worried it might be. It certainly seemed to stay in place a lot better, and kept me much warmer than the first night. The only real problem I experienced was sweat buildup. Obviously CCF doesn't breathe.

I'm considering sewing a semi-permanent layer or cover of something over the CCF pad to help absorb some of the sweat and make the pad more comfortable. Ideally it would be something I could slip off like a sheet or pillowcase and throw in the laundry after a trip. Debating on material. Comfortable would be good. Any recommendations? I figure unless I can think of some great reason not to use cotton, I'll probably just start with that...