Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Cocoon UL gear from Bozeman/Backpackinglight

Does anybody know anything about the Cocoon ultralight or Pro gear from Bozeman Mountain Works?
    http://www.bozemanmountainworks.com/

The reason I'm asking is because Backpackinglight.com has had some of this made especially for them, in fact you can only get it thru them, I believe. There is a significant discount for BPL members. My question is there some reason to go with it, other than a preference for synthetics(Polarguard). BPL rates the NoSniveller as best, but this gear does not show up yet in official testing. I e-mailed them (Bozeman Mtn), and they responded quickly, but no temperature rating is avaiable. BPL does not do temp ratings do to all the variables. But there is no loft rating available, either, and that bothers me.

From the web site:

We custom built the Cocoon UL 180 Quilt as part of Ryan Jordan's solo kit for the Arctic 1000. Ryan needed a synthetic quilt with a closed footbox that could handle the cold and wet conditions of an Arctic spring - for less than 20 ounces...............

"The Cocoon UL 180 Quilt performed flawlessly in the Arctic. Its 180 g/m2 of Polarguard Delta, combined with 68 g/m2 insulated clothing garments (the Cocoon UL 60 Hoody and Pant), the UL 180 Quilt has proved itself warm and comfortable in the wettest three-season conditions while training this spring in Montana and putting it to the real test in the western Arctic in June." - Ryan Jordan
    This looks real interesting, but it aint cheap, and I wish more details were avaiable on things like loft.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    my understanding is that the workmanship & quality is top notch, but the materials are of the lightest weight for what they do. therefore a person needs to understand how to take care of thier ultralight gear. it shouldn't be jerked on & off or used for rock climbing... & probably not for bushwhacking unless you really know how to push the limits w/ ultra light gear.
    and a person needs to understand that this kind of light weight stuff (like the quilts) are used in combination w/ other gear... like sleeping in your insulated clothing to be warm. before anyone heads out w/ a set of ultralight gear, they need to have a lot of understanding of how to use it, & how to improvise in the wild.
    ultra lighters often push the limits way more than i care to but i can learn tons from them in ways to think & reduce my pack weight.
    i'm really interested in the quilts they offer & head wear in the cocoon line, but it's just not in my budget right now.
    if BPL (bozeman mountain works) ever offers a hammock, i'm sure it won't weigh more than a few ozs & may not be something a person would want to take on the AT for months of use.
    just my thoughts anyone looking at gear that pushes the limits. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Thanks for the info, Tim. I just wish I could find out the loft on the 180 quilt. I don't know why they don't provide that in the specs, since BPL always measures loft in their tests.
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-16-2007 at 20:47.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are a few reviews of the No Sniveler on the web - one on Sgt Rock's hikinghq.net, one I did for BGT, and a few in the whiteblaze.net archives. Links to these and other reviews are on the JRB website.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the Cocoon set, but then I haven't read the BPL forums in a long time. I'd definitely echo what slowhike says though - the gear at BPL is for folks who put a premium on taking care of their gear so they can shave an ounce or three. And it's spendy...just be sure you have realistic expectations of what you're getting for the price. I've been satisfied with my few purchases from BPL but I haven't bought anything big like the clothing. I've been eyeing the Cocoon jacket though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    There are a few reviews of the No Sniveler on the web - one on Sgt Rock's hikinghq.net, one I did for BGT, and a few in the whiteblaze.net archives..
    BPL has also reviewed the NS in the:"Unconventional Sleep Systems Review Summary and Gear Guide Overview", where I believe it was rated #1 in a large group of good products. But their own product ( cocoon ) was not included the review. Not available yet.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    True - didn't mention it b/c you had it in your post. It's linked from JRB's website too.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Last I checked, the Cacoon quilts are not available yet.... due this summer was the last I saw... the ones used on the Artic 1000 were the prototypes.... not the factory models... should be the same though.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    BPL.com members can pre-purchase them now i believe. then they should be shipped in june.
    BTW... you would get the $25.00 membership fee back when ordering most of the cocoon products. but i don't know if there's any kind of limit or not.
    probably not since they're taking orders in advance.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    sounds like a good deal to me

Images
    Pre-Purchase Available now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast