Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Jungle or Expedition hammock?

As it says in the title: which hammock should I buy and why? On paper, both hammocks seem pretty short and narrow. Are they both equally comfortable? It says the Jungle hammock is waterproof - is that desirable? Does it make sense to get the rainfly as well?

Images
    The Expedition is 8 ft long, the Jungle just shy of 10. I've never slept in an Expedition, I'd love to try one. I suspect it would work incredibly well with a PeaPod, maybe even better than on my 10 ft Claytor No Net. I find my No Net to be about my most comfy non-bridge. I had a Jungle for a while, but I can't say for sure if it was as comfy for me as my No Net. I just can't remember for sure, seems like they were close. But I can say that my Jungle was NOT WP as I poured some water in it one time and it went right through. Mine might have been defective, but I've never heard anyone complain about problems from a WP jungle.

The suspension is quite different. Very light and easy to work with by the directions from the web site- I'm still using the original on one end many years later on the footend of mine, both ends of my sons. But, it will wick water into your hammock like a faucet. So you will have to change it out or rig something to stop the water. We have used 2 approaches. First, we cut the suspension and inserted a carabiner or metal ring. Or, I have just tied a couple of overhand knots in the rope(they call it webbing) near the hammock, which stopped all water flow. I was worried about weakening the rope, but it has held for many years. Just so you will know up front about the wicking of water.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I tried a Hyperlite, which I think is the same size as the Expedition. The Hyperlite felt too short for me, so I sold it. I have the Deep Jungle XL and I really like it. The material of the Deep Jungle is enough to make me choose it over other HH hammocks. I also like the double layer for a pad. I had the 2QZQ #4 zipper mod done to mine so the bug net zips off and stores in a peak bag. Very nice!!!! Good luck in deciding.

Nice to see you posting again BillyBob.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    So you're saying buy them all?

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    No, I'm saying I like the Deep Jungle over all the other HH Hammocks. The fabric is nice and silky feeling.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    @ Cali: Sorry for the confusion; my question was directed at BillyBob58 - your post apparently happened while I was still typing At the moment I'm only looking at Claytor hammocks, not Hennessy. I've read good things about Claytor and am curious how such a short and narrow hammock works.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    You might remember my hammock which was an Expedition. I like the shorter, less wide hammocks. One doesn't need to go as diagonal to hit the sweet spot. Also, it doesn't need as much sag. Not to mention one can use a shorter length tarp. I also have the Moskito hammock which is almost the same as the Expedition, but without some features. The Jungle is waterproof and is longer; I have never tried one.

btw I was in your neck of the woods a few weeks back visiting my father.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    You might remember my hammock which was an Expedition. I like the shorter, less wide hammocks. One doesn't need to go as diagonal to hit the sweet spot. Also, it doesn't need as much sag. Not to mention one can use a shorter length tarp. I also have the Moskito hammock which is almost the same as the Expedition, but without some features. The Jungle is waterproof and is longer; I have never tried one.

btw I was in your neck of the woods a few weeks back visiting my father.
    Actually, your praise made me curious about Claytor hammocks. I didn't know which model you had, though.

It sounds like both Claytor models would be a good choice. Maybe it's best to order both, try them out, and sell the one I like less

Did you go hiking in Germany? I still haven't done a multi-day hike. I keep wanting to go, but haven't worked up the courage, yet...

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    @ Cali: Sorry for the confusion; my question was directed at BillyBob58 - your post apparently happened while I was still typing At the moment I'm only looking at Claytor hammocks, not Hennessy. I've read good things about Claytor and am curious how such a short and narrow hammock works.

My bad, I thought you were talking about Hennessey when you said Jungle, My mind was somewhere else.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well, half my bad - I should have added "Claytor" instead of just naming the models. If you don't look at the sub-forum, you'd not know if I was talking about Hennessy or Claytor...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast