Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

NJ > Lower Forge>8/30/14>Hiking Training for Batona Trail

I reserved site 5 at Lower Forge - gonna hike around for 12-15 miles on Saturday. I might do the same on Sunday or I might just hike out to Batona or Atsion, wherever I leave my car.

I'm trying to get into hiking shape to tackle the Batona Trail (53 miles) in three days/two nights this fall. This is just an initial hike since I haven't done much hiking lately. In a couple of weeks, I hope to follow this up with longer hikes of 16 to 19 miles per day. I'll probably do Buttonwood Hill to Batona soon (16.3 miles), then Ongs Hat to Batona (18.7 miles), before tackling the entire Batona Trail.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I may not keep up with you the entire way, but I'm willing to try. Let me know.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Always great to have company. I'm amenable to slackpacking, though that involves logistics. I've been studying the map, but can't really find a way to get 12 miles in a day (using trails) without doubling back or something. Here's the options I'm thinking about:

1) Park at Batsto Village. Walk approx. two miles down 542 to Buttonwood Hills Camp, then take the Batona Trail north to Lower Forge. Approx. mileage 12.5 miles.
    2) Park at Atsion. Hike to Carranza Memorial (Batona Camp) approx. 6.1 miles. There's not a trail per se, but others have done it (I did a few years ago). Discussed in this thread:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ampton+furnace

From there, hike 6.1 miles down the Batona Trail to Lower Forge for at total of around 12 miles.

3) Park Batsto. Hike Batona Trail to Quaker Bridge (6.1 miles). Take Wilderness Camp Crossover Trail (1 mile), then Mullica River trail north (1.8 miles) to Beaver Pond-Quaker Bridge Trail (1.7 miles) then 1.3 miles north on Batona Trail to Lower Forge. Total around 11.9 miles.

4) Park at Batsto. Hike north on Mullica River Trail approx. 6.8 miles to Beaver Pond-Quaker Bridge Trail (1.7 miles) then 1.3 to 1.6 miles to Lower Forge. Total around 10 miles.

I was originally going to book a site at Batona, but then I noticed Lower Forge was empty this weekend.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm trying to remember the last time I did more than 7.5 miles in a day. It was probably that last time we went slackpacking which I think was 8.5 miles from Batsto to Mullica via Quaker Bridge (which hang was that)? Geez, I really haven't done much hiking since my knee injury in December 2012.

Like I said, I'm not concerned with mileage on Sunday - the shortest way out is fine with me. Hiking 12 miles in a day is really my goal. It helps me psychologically if I go in increments - helps build confidence. If I can do 12, then I can do 16, then I can do 19 in a day - baby steps to whacking out the Batona Trail in three days.

Last time I did 12 miles in a day was with Perrito back in Oct 2012, as I recall. We had a 12 and 16-mile day in the PA Grand Canyon.

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I could have my wife drop us off to open up start points and routes.

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm trying to remember the last time I did more than 7.5 miles in a day. It was probably that last time we went slackpacking which I think was 8.5 miles from Batsto to Mullica via Quaker Bridge (which hang was that)? Geez, I really haven't done much hiking since my knee injury in December 2012.
    That was Christmas I think

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njredneck View Post
    I could have my wife drop us off to open up start points and routes.
    Can't seem to find a route where we need it, though I'm open to suggestions.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...atona14web.pdf

http://www.njhiking.com/nj-hiking-ma...-trail-map.pdf

One possibility is get dropped off around Route 563, then take Batona Trail south to Lower Forge (13.8 miles). Leave car(s) at Batsto Village. The less logistics and the more time in the woods is probably what I would favor. I'm not going to be in a particular hurry (though there's only so slow these long legs of mine can go).

Right now I kinda favor Atsion-Carranza Memorial-Lower Forge. The Atsion-Carranza Memorial part ain't much of a trail, but the abandoned railroads and trestles are pretty cool. On the way out, we can just hike Lower Forge-Quaker Bridge-Atsion which is only about 6 miles.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    I would have liked to do this but have family plans already. Have fun, be safe.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just remembered how bad Parkway traffic is on summer weekends going south. An Atsion departure definitely works better for me 'cause I can get off at exit 88 and the only traffic I'll have to deal with is the old, blind retirees cruising down Route 70 at 30 miles under the speed limit!

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The less logistics and the more time in the woods is probably what I would favor. I'm not going to be in a particular hurry (though there's only so slow these long legs of mine can go).

Right now I kinda favor Atsion-Carranza Memorial-Lower Forge. The Atsion-Carranza Memorial part ain't much of a trail, but the abandoned railroads and trestles are pretty cool. On the way out, we can just hike Lower Forge-Quaker Bridge-Atsion which is only about 6 miles.
    I like the idea of the railroads. easy logistics park and go.

As far as speed I'll keep up just may pay for it later.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast