Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

?? Pak-it-Lite F.O.B. fully enclosed hammock ??

Has anyone out there see , heard about, or used one of these enclosed hammock systems?
    The web site says it has a sleeve for a pad and that UQ is not needed.
    It looks cool...sounds good...however, I need more info. The site only gives very limited data.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I"ve never owned one, but I've checked it out several times. It seems to be a very robust "tactical" type shelter. You just have to decide between a little heavier but probably more durable or lighter weight that you be more mindful of how you handle. Most people here go for the lighter weight gear but that's not to say that you would enjoy the FOB hammock system.

My advice is look closely at the system and look at the differences between it and other hammock setups. Decide if you think the extra pieces/features are worth it or not. If you do go for it, please post a video review.

For me I don't like tying the rope directly to the trees and the extra line to set the toggles seems like a PIA, I really like the tarp design with the peaks that cover the corners of the hammock, but on the other hand doesn't provide as much free room to move around under the tarp as other setups. The door setup looks cool, but in actual use maybe be annoying not being able to open the hammock up and throw the bugnet over the ridge line. This system is constructed of heavier materials than whats commonly accepted in our little community.
    Last edited by dangerous; 08-28-2014 at 17:55.
    -Jon-

Images
    I just glanced at their first page and the longest hammock I could see was only 8'6"
    Most folks here use a 10' and the 11'x60" are all the rage for comfort these days.

Many hammock mfg'ers offer a duel layer to help keep a pad in place.
    hth

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I just glanced at their first page and the longest hammock I could see was only 8'6"
    Most folks here use a 10' and the 11'x60" are all the rage for comfort these days.

Many hammock mfg'ers offer a duel layer to help keep a pad in place.
    hth
    I noticed that too. During the video he says the "cheater" rope is eight feet long which is the distance between toggles so that would be the same as an eight foot ridge line. The 83% rule says that is probably around a 10 footer.
    -Jon-

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    I noticed that too. During the video he says the "cheater" rope is eight feet long which is the distance between toggles so that would be the same as an eight foot ridge line. The 83% rule says that is probably around a 10 footer.
    I didn't watch the video. Advertizing the RL length will be a bit confusing for folks that have visited other hammock websites.
    Did the video say he used the 83% rule?

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I didn't watch the video. Advertizing the RL length will be a bit confusing for folks that have visited other hammock websites.
    Did the video say he used the 83% rule?
    no he didn't say 83% but it looked like a familiar amount of sag
    -Jon-

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm pretty sure that the hammock body is ~8' (not the ridgeline). There was a thread where this was discussed.

I know it's against the general opinion, but I don't think that "long hammock = more comfortable" / "short hammock = less comfortable". There are short hammocks that are said to be extremely comfortable (e.g. Claytor hammocks). Some of the shortest hammocks I have tried (about 8.5') have been more comfortable than the longer/longest hammocks I tested. A lot. Comfort results from a lot of different factors and it's not possible to say that you won't like a specific hammock just from looking at the specs. Unless you already know a lot of hammocks and know which factors seem to make a difference to you.

If you don't mind the weight, just go for it. And report back to us.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Upon re-reading the old thread: he seems to be giving the ridgeline lengths. I agree this is confusing, but Hennessy does it as well. I guess this makes the hammocks around 10' long, as suggested.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Thanks for the reply. I liked the tarp setup on this hammock system. The price they got on it seamed to be fair. I was hoping someone might have owned and used one; so that I could get a compare/contrast from a fellow " hang person " .
    I went back and watched the video again....there is some confusing parts. It is not clear on the distance/ length / sag. Pictures are worth a lot of words, but, without some context it is any guess as to how this system would stack up to many other light weight systems.
    The site stated 38 oz. but is that the a miss print ??? I will look for more info on other blog and report back.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    usually when the Pak-it-lite hammocks get discussed the owner will chime in on the thread. I'm sure he'll be able to give all the info you need. Also, I know they have been discussed before. Have you searched for old threads? maybe someone here has first hand experience
    -Jon-

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast