Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Decisions, Decisions.... need some gear input!

Alright, to start with I am have less than one year of hammocking experience though I have learned tons in the last 6 months. My main goal is to do a thru hike of the AT in 2016 (tentatively April). With that being said I am trying to save money and get the gear for that while also making a sweet setup now. I have a pack I think I will use though it may be a tad large, but that is not my main worry. My main worry is insulation. I have a 11 foot DIY hammock with a Fronkey style bugnet thanks to the awesomeness of this page! I also have a 20*F 650fp down sleeping bag I am using for a top quilt. That leads me to an underquilt and this is where I am on the fence. Do I need a 3/4 or full length? I believe I will want true down for the compressible factor and and weight that much I believe I should do. Then my next thing is, is it cheaper to buy the material and make one or to have one from the vendors? I ask because I found a 600FP down comforter on walmart.com with 32 OZ of fill according to the description, that should be enough down for 2 UQ if my knowledge serves me correctly. I looked at ordering 1.1 silnylon from ripstopbytheroll.com for a tarp I want make for the trip as well and could easily add some for an UQ. I will also need a tarp for this trip because I dont have one either hence I was going to try my hand at making one since I can sew decently when the machine cooperates. What do the awesome people of HF think? Any ideas and input will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance!
    Puppy love melts even a cold heart

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Speed, Distance, Section, Thru, enjoyment on the trail. All call for 3/4 length IMO.

Cold sleeper, Bitter cold, Canoe, Yak, or Car camping. Full lenght fits in here. Once again. Just my 2 cents.

Thru hiking the AT will call for an insulation switch out at some point or other, as well as other personal gear adjustment and replacement. Mail Drop is your friend.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I'll most likely have my dad come in and hike sections with me, he has agreed to be my bounce box for the most part, I'm not necessarily a cold sleeper or warm sleeper but I'd rather be hot than cold anytime which was part of me being on the fence about 3/4 or full length.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I just use my jacket under the part of my calves, that aren't enclosed in the footbox of my TQ. It's there in the morning when I need it, or during the night, and it's warm. I would do this to have a warm jacket at arm's reach, regardless of what length quilt I might use. An old habit from t&@t days. Don't usually have to sleep in it, but I've always slept with my jacket.

I think you'll be fine with a properly rated 3/4 length UQ. If you carry any Reflectix, or CCF, a sit pad, or BNB pot cozy, can help to greatly minimize cold spots. Youtube has some great directions on making a cozy that isn't taped. You unfold it and have a decent piece of insulation. Going long distances would quickly make me a full blown gram weenie.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 08-29-2014 at 17:58.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    For a thruhike I wouldn't skimp on the equipment. 600FP down will certainly work, but it will be quite a bit heavier than 850FP down. Have a look at the UGQ specs to get an idea. They list the weights for their underquilts in 700FP and 850FP down. A 600FP underquilt would be even heavier. I have never hiked longer than 5 days in a row, but even on those short hikes (compared to a 6-months thruhike) I have never been sorry for having spent money on lighter items.

I haven't made an underquilt myself, yet, but from what I read you won't save a lot of money by making your own down underquilt. Since you will only buy small quantities, you won't get it as cheap as e.g. HG or UGQ can get it by buying large quantities. There is also the risk that you won't get it right the first time round and have to buy more materials for a second try. Pretty much everybody who posted about their experience said, don't do it to save money - the main benefit is the fun in making and the pride in something you have made yourself. Again, for a thruhike and with not much money to spare, I would save and buy a quality underquilt. You are not in a hurry, and there'll be deals on Black Friday. I got a good discount when buying from HG last year. If you are OK with a 3/4 underquilt, have a look at the Warbonnet Yeti. I haven't seen a lighter 3/4 uq, yet.

Lastly, if you're not sure if you want a 3/4 or full-length, try to borrow and test one to see which one suits you better. I have tried both, and even though I really would like to be able to sleep with a PLUQ, I found that I can't. Insulation is one area where I have to accept a weight penalty - but good sleep is worth it to me.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Not a thru hiker, but I spend a few days at a time in the woods whenever possible. I favor full length for the warmth and simplicity. That might change for me when knowing weight matters. I don't find my full length quilts that heavy. Good luck on your adventure.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I rather sleep hot than cold any day. So imagine my surprise when I decided to give a 3/4 quilt rated 20*F a try and it proved completely sufficient for my purposes. I've been at 0*C with it without any problems, with just my jacket and either a fleece or my pants bunched up under my legs. My purposes are not a through-hike generally though, but that seems to be an even stronger argument for reducing weight and bulk.

Hammock
    Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for all the inputs! I currently have a 3/4 length (roughly) that I am making out of two fleece throws and some high loft quilt batting since the test run can be way heavier just to see what I like better. Gonna try this and see first. I will most likely stick with a 3/4 and purchase one for a thru hike so I can save on weight.

HammockGear 20dF 3/4 UQ - 16oz.

I would buy the most lightweight gear you can afford - Used and get your base weight down to 9# or so.
    Ideally a Arc Blast pack, or Zero or if on the cheap a Used Golite Jam II pack stripped down to 18 oz.
    Zpacks 30dF bag or summerlite bag, hammock gear 20dF UQ, and a cuben tarp and some sort of Ultralight insulated jacket. Expensive but that will save you a lot of weight.

You may want to check out these videos.
    Snakesession on WB IE Loner 2012AT. Recorded his entire AT hammock thru on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Loner20...ew=0&flow=grid

Here are 2 of the videos on his Gear and its a Budget gear setup but Ultralight and simple.
    He made it with this setup, but his Nano hammock died at about the 2/3 point and replaced with a GT ultralight.
    What I would personally do differently is a bigger pack with some outside mesh pockets as that is only a 20L pack, and a better double layer hammock and probably an neoair Xlite small pad or the Zlite short pad in case you get stuck in a shelter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nVo...k7KfEPcmtgm3dA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTf...k7KfEPcmtgm3dA

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    If weight is a concern and your willing to MYOG, you might try modding your SB. You have almost twice the weight with the bag. Mod it into a TQ and save weight, use the extra down for making your UQ or use in other gear.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast