Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Thanks for the links to Loners Youtube. Interesting and educational vids..

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    All good advice. Good luck on your thru!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

FYI, I never could figure out how he carried his water, because the pockets on that pack are too small for water bottles
    and in the video he shows equipment in the pockets so I asked. Said he carried his water in the pockets of his cargo pants to keep the extra weight off his back.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Gear versatility is key. What can/do you carry that can be used in in many forms. Keeping things and staying dry will have a grand impact on comfort. I believe you have a long time to get and use gear to fine tune your entire rig. I know full well that gear comes to us in many hodge-podge ways, pack first, bags, cook kits. We dont always get the luxury of sellecting gear the right way. Usually we just make it work from what we have.

Not for the same reasons, but I utilize the same processes with the gear I have. I aquire whatever gear I can, to suit what I think I need. I test it and see how it holds up and then eithrr decide to get rid of it or use it in a different capacity.

If you are managing all your gear right it will come down to compromise. Sometimes extra weight is like a rock in your shoe. Maybe it can wait until you get stopped to remove, but now that its on your mind it seams to get bigger and bigger. Gear that fit in the store, or at mile one may end up killing you by the 8th hour. Gear that felt uncomfortable at mile one may settle in and riding like a champ all day.

In a general sense the different in oz's for a full vs 3/4 may not make or brake the trip, but it will add to an unorganized poorly designed set up, especially if it over laps with other gear.

More so then anything else, imho, it will take your own experiences to determine the correct course of action. If in reality you have someone to help you slackpack, then you can afford the extra weight when needed. All the luck in the world and until I can get this done I will live vicariously thru you.

Hammock
    Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Thanks again everyone! I will definitely check the vids when I get the chance after work today. I am definitely willing to make gear since my thread injector is up and running and I have become way more confident in my sewing abilities over the last few weeks thanks to much practice. I will most likely make my tarp, purchase a lightweight UG, use the sleeping bag as a top quilt for now, maybe look for a smaller pack in my price range, and then work on lightweight clothing options as I get closer to the time I want to go (and this and Christmas of course! ) Hopefully the parentals can get me a shirt or two. Im putting in as much time as I can with a pack and on the trail to start getting prepared and I can not wait to make this journey!
    Puppy love melts even a cold heart

A tarp a little difficult to make mostly due to the slippery sil.

If you go to the loner videos you will see he carries a Tadpole.
    I made a knockoff tarp only longer with cat cut ridge and sides and I think it ended up at 12 oz. Looking back due to buying 8 yards of fabric and the hassle of working with silnylon, I think its just better to buy a tadpole if it has enough coverage.

Cost $90 and 11.5 oz so not a lot of savings to buy materials and build one.

Hammock
    Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Thanks, ill look into it! Ive heard good things about the tadpole so it may be a great choice.
    Puppy love melts even a cold heart

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Consider also a 7/8 length UQ. When you lie on the diagonal that will normally cover foot to shoulder for most average size people.

I'd take a full length 800+FP UQ over a 3/4 600FP quilt anyday, given the choice. Keep an eye out for 800FP pillows.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12